The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Work/Ride Canada

Hey all, thought I would start a thread for everything about working/ skiing (well boarding really) in Canada (or other countries too). a little similar to the post below, but what the hell… So ive been thinking of doing the work/ski for a few years but other commitments (work/girlfriend) have prevented it. Am gonna make it happen for 10/11 season though.

I’m hoping those that have been there and done that can let the rest of us know what it was like. The topic can really be as general as anyone likes and maybe others will have more questions they’d like to post too. Anyone thats done a similar work and ski elsewhere Id be curious as to how that was too. Anyway, I’ll start by firing away a few questions/comments (forgive me there will be a tad more than a few)...

* So far Ive come across Overseas Working holiday (OWH) and International Exchange Program (IEP), two organisations that offer a program were they set up a job before you arrive etc etc. Has anyone used these guys, or similar? Is that the way to go about it? looks like it makes it all much easier.

* OWH works with the following resorts:
  *  Lake Louise
  * Big White
  * Silver Star
  * Whistler
  * Nakiska
  * Rimrock

and IEP, the following:
  *Sunshine Village
  *Panorama Mountain Village
  *Grouse Mountain
  *Chateau Whistler Resort
  *The Banff Centre
  *Asessippi Ski Resort
  *The Russell Inn Hotel

Which of the above resorts would people recommend? Besides Whistler I dont really know much about them. Im sure there are some relative duds compared to the top ones.

* what job did you do and how’d you like it? Some of the cooler sounding jobs i’d say are, trailcrew, instructors obviously (dont have the skills yet though), rental/repair tech and snowmaker. Was it easy to get the job you applied for or is there a good chance you end up being the dishpig!? Is the low pay enough to get by without having to chew through savings? Outside of work is there still plenty of time for shredding?

* Has anyone done the work/ski with a girlfriend (partner)? Were the resorts pretty facilitative of couples i.e. was it easy to get work at same resort and accommodation together etc?

* is shared accommodation or staff housing the go?

Thats about all I can think of atm. Look forward to all your replies and I guess generally what the experience was like.

Cheers

My brother used something similar to those organizations when he went and worked in Squaw Valley.
They set him up with a job as a lifty but accommodation took him a while. (Dodgy hostel for a couple of weeks then a share house with heaps of other overseas travelers).
I think he organized it all through an initial telephone call then mail and email correspondence. I hope that is of some help.

HOMEWORK - 11 August 2009 05:49 AM

After you guys mailed your working visa application with all the relevant documents + payment. How long did it take to get your visa?

Is it possible to get a job where you are only working 1-2 days a week. ATM I’m planning on just being a snow bum and pay my way through the season with savings and ride as much as possible. But If I were to be getting a approx $200 a week it couldn’t do any harm.

I would always suggest try find your own place to stay, especially if you are travelling with a girlfriend (single beds in staff housing etc..). If you are on a very low budget or you want to live a non-stop party lifestyle then it’s worth considering. Personally I have been to Canada many times to work and I have never needed to book anything through programs. You can get the exact same result, with more flexibility, for less money, if you go about it on your own. Getting a visa is very easy, finding work is not hard (especially if you get there early season for the job fair). Good accomodation is usually the hardest part to organise. Decide where you want to go and start hunting for siutable accomodation. Once you have the roof over your head everything will fall into place. If you have any more questions just let me know.

Not many have done the Canada snow season I take it?

thanks Nic and Rider. Rider, sorry I’m not 100% certain what your first couple of sentences mean re: the accommodation. I take it you mean staff housing is not really good for couples, more for those looking to party (all single bed rooms no doubt, like uni)? I guess sharing a house with others would be the better option then, with a double bed being possible. I assume a house/apartment just for a couple would be hard to come by and way expensive?

you mention its easy to find work, is that largely because the employers know you already, or do you visit a different resort each time? what about your first visit did you still find it easy? And speaking of resorts, which ones have you worked at and would recommend? I heard Lake Louise is pretty good (and pretty close to Banff maybe)... reading the other thread about Whistler and instructing Im hoping I could maybe do the level 1…

You mention arriving early for the job fair, what is the job fair exactly, and what time is considered early (is November early enough)? Besides the set programs I really had only thought to apply for jobs off the individual resort websites, but maybe thats not the way to go…

Thanks in advance for your advice, much appreciated! smile

Yeah that’s what I meant. Staff housing is all single beds in small shared rooms. If you can organise it I would recommend finding a house or at least renting your own room in a decent house. Staff housing is cheap but if you organise a house well, you won’t be paying too much more. It just takes a bit of work finding the right place and organising a lease etc…

Most resorts will be looking for a lot of staff at the start of the season. If you can tell them, yes I have a visa, yes I already live here, here is my resume etc… talk to them well, present yourself well… I will guarantee you will get a job. Just be smart about it.

When you know which mountain you want to go to, check their website and get in touch with them. Find out when and how they do their hiring process. Most mountains will have a job fair before the start of the season, usually around late October to early Novemeber (some might even be later). They interview people and hire them on the spot.

There are many good mountain in Canada, any of which will provide a fun and unique experience. The most popular being Whistler, Big White, Fernie, Lake Louise, Sunshine, Revelstoke… but there are more. Whistler might be a hard one this season because of the Olympics, but it is definately a must see.

Let us know how it goes.

Will they hire even after the official season has begun?

golfpunklegend - 13 August 2009 11:07 PM

Will they hire even after the official season has begun?

Many mountains will. But it is hard to say for each mountain. I dont know about Whistler, others here may know. And when you consider the housing and other details of hiring international employees that may present different challenges.

Its no problem being under 18 and an international employee will it?
Does that mean if i do get employed, i’d be payed junior wages?

All it means is you can’t drink (19 in Cananda, 21 in USA). wink

my dreams of a social life are dashed…. :(

rider26 - 15 August 2009 07:10 AM

All it means is you can’t drink (19 in Cananda, 21 in USA). wink

My brother went to the Squaw Valley, USA and then went to go out to a bar with his housemates there. Only when he got to the door did he realize he was 20 and under the legal age, haha. I think there were talks of increasing the drinking age in Australia not that long ago but were dismissed as drinking happens regardless of legal age.

Wow sucks to be your brother man! I think it pays to do your research before heading anywhere re: drinking laws grin

kort - 15 August 2009 09:48 AM

Wow sucks to be your brother man! I think it pays to do your research before heading anywhere re: drinking laws grin

he knew that it was the drinking age and all when he went but totally forgot being used to bars in Australia being open to him. But yes, that’s the sort of thing that needs to be thought about more carefully.

Is there any drinking limitations down under?