The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Work/Ride Canada

bangabain - 16 August 2009 02:22 AM
nic - 15 August 2009 10:53 PM

Which state is that in?

I’m talking about Vic. We need 120 hours of which 10 must be night too.

Interesting. Here in the States, you sign up and get a Learners Permit when you are 15yrs and 8 months old… Then after you either:
1) Take Drivers Education class, or 2) turn 18 years of age, you can request your Driver’s License.
There are restrictions to your Learner’s Permit, with how late you can be out and who you have with you in the car, and how many in the car.

There are restricted licenses after some driving violations and things, but that is after a couple offenses of driving drunk or getting too many tickets from speeding or accidents etc.

Here it is at/after your 16th birthday for your learner’s permit. After you turn 18 and have hours you then do a test (practical, learner’s is theory). At 18 is that a full license or are there restrictions on that one?

HOMEWORK - 16 August 2009 05:14 AM
snowslider - 16 August 2009 02:55 AM

What does the P stand for? Practice?

Probationary

Isn’t it Provisional?

waaaait just googled it…it is provisional here, probationary in vic…so you guys win by majority raspberry

bangabain - 16 August 2009 09:35 AM
HOMEWORK - 16 August 2009 05:14 AM
snowslider - 16 August 2009 02:55 AM

What does the P stand for? Practice?

Probationary

Isn’t it Provisional?

waaaait just googled it…it is provisional here, probationary in vic…so you guys win by majority raspberry

Now that you brought it up, im not quite sure.
thanks for the clarification.
...Just call them P’s raspberry

They mean basically the same thing in the context.

nic - 16 August 2009 07:20 AM

Here it is at/after your 16th birthday for your learner’s permit. After you turn 18 and have hours you then do a test (practical, learner’s is theory). At 18 is that a full license or are there restrictions on that one?

At 18 it is a full license with no restrictions.
You can not pursue any driver training and turn 18, walk into the building and ask for your license…
You may have to carry the learner’s permit for a short time, but there is no rule that you have to show any hours of training or education.

Much easier than here, but mroe dangerous. So there can be people who have never driven before on the road?

well, nic, although the 120 hours is a good system here, i know a lot of people who dodge it and they would be the same type of people who do not do any hours of training before going for a license in Slider’s country.
Although the 120 hours does make sure a lot of the drivers are efficients, we have a lot of hoons around here

It isnt often, but then again, you wonder with the way people drive in some cities.
Driving isnt rocket science, but then again mandatory training would make things safer…

I forgot to mention though… there is a test that you have to take and pass before you get the license.
If you know the basics about driving you can pass it though. But there is a test.
I left that part out.
But still no training or hours of driving needed to be reported.
The test does require a driving test, but I think they dont do that for those over 18.

bangabain - 15 August 2009 01:23 PM

Interesting you ask this Dan, I am currently using one of the aforementioned companies (IEP) in going to Canada at the end of this year smile

It is a bit of financial outlay initially as Jeremy (Rider) said, however with 3 months to go before I leave I have my visa in front of me, my job sorted (table waiting - can’t complain), staff housing being sorted out now (I am travelling alone so doesn’t bother me whether I get staff housing or have to look myself), discount flights with the others that are going over with IEP sorted, discounted travel insurance sorted and paid for, and accommodation for the first few days I get there included…

I did a LOT of research before I went with IEP, looking through OWH and CCUSA as well, but found that what IEP offered as far as visa assistance, and the job fair employer options, worked better for what I was after for my trip…

I went with Panorama Mountain Village out of the job fair employers, simply because I didn’t really want to go to the second capital of Australia (Whistler - as I have heard it being called multiple times), I couldn’t start until late November/early December due to finishing Uni, and their start dates suited this whereas Sunshine Village (the other one I was really looking at) only had early start dates, and I figured because it is a little more out of the way and less well known than Whistler/Banff etc it would (might) have a little more of a Canadian vibe to it, which is again more of what I was after rather than it just being a buttload of Aussies working there, serving even more Aussie’s coming over for holidays…which it still may end up being anyway but yeah…

Don’t know whether this helps or not, I guess I will be able to tell you more when I get over there I spose…:P

Oh and also, the job ‘fair’ was great and ran very smoothly, however because the fairs run for 5 days and go Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, I would suggest getting in on one of the earlier days (Brisbane or Sydney) rather than Melbourne, where I was for the last day, as by this stage a LOT of the better jobs are gone and it is a bit more of a lottery getting the job(s) you are after at the resorts you are looking at…and makes it a lot harder if you have pigeon-holed one or two jobs in, because if they are gone basically you are screwed…which happened to a few people while I was there on the Monday…However in this situation from what I saw IEP dealt with it fantastically as well, giving full refunds etc…still doesn’t help with not getting to go for those people, but yeah…

Anyway I have rambled on enough, great to see you thinking about it anyway Dan, I can’t wait to head over there, and I will let you know how it all goes once I am there smile

Thanks for the great comments bangabain, I will be very interested to hear about how it all goes for you.

I realised that I will most likely have to find a job etc without the help of an organisation like IEP as I will be travelling several months prior to landing in Canada (mainly Europe) and would miss the job fair here in Aus. I guess when the time comes I will start emailing resorts applying for jobs and try and get to some of the job fairs in Canada Jeremy was talking about.

Out of curiosity what were your first choices for jobs? Its really good of IEP to give refunds if people didn’t get the job they were after.

To be honest Dan, I kind of didn’t mind, as long as it was indoors really (but if it was the difference between going and not, I would have sucked it up and been a lifty raspberry)

My preference was to do something like retail/rental, just because I have a great interest in the whole gear side of things (gear whore I believe it would be described as smile), and felt that that would allow me to do the gear looking and actually make it useful to someone other than myself…

But with my main working experience being in hospitality, having worked in bars, conference centres, and restaurants as my main source of income, at least I am going over there with a) a job, and b) doing something that I have done before, that will allow me enough time to be doing what I am mainly over there for, due to it being a fair bit of “shift” type work - nights/mornings - leaving the day free for boarding smile, which retail/rental may not have done due to the 9-5 nature of a shop…

Depending on the resort though, there was a large range of different jobs on offer, from mountain operations& snowcat drivers, to chefs, to bellboys, and then instructors etc, so most areas of expertise were catered for…

But yes you are right, one of the big things they said when I was first applying was that you had to be there for the job fairs…but if you applied through the actual resorts early enough while you were away, I’m sure you would have just as much success getting a job for both you and your girlfriend, along with the other needs (housing etc) that you would have for your trip…

Bangabain, how do you go about getting your visa sorted? And is the process long? Even if it’s not a super long process maybe I should get it done early for peace of mind? I have done a bit of searching on the net but am still not certain on what to do exactly. Cheers

It’s easy Dan…

http://www.whpcanada.org.au/introduction.shtml

Get in early, but no more than 12 months before you leave (the letter of introduction is only valid for a year before you enter Canada). You should have no problem getting it even a few months before you leave. It takes 6 weeks for them to process your forms and send the letter of introduction to you (which you then hand in when you arrive in Canada and they issue your visa).

Thanks Jeremy, sounds fairly easy. Will check out the details soon. Might get it all sorted around Christmas.