The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Work/Ride Canada

18 years is legal age if that’s what you mean

snowslider - 15 August 2009 11:33 AM

Is there any drinking limitations down under?

well yeah pretty much what Nic said. 18 years is the legal age for licensed venues.
However, you can drink in your house as long as a guardian is present.
In licensed restaurants, waiters may serve your parents and your parents can then give it to you but if a waiter serves you the drink, the restaurants could get their licensed revoked and they’d be fined.
And Nic, my Id says im 19 by 28th December 2009 :D

golfpunklegend - 15 August 2009 12:17 PM

And Nic, my Id says im 19 by 28th December 2009 :D

+1 year? A friend of a friend got fined quite heavily one time for fraudulent ID because he tried to get into a club at 17 with an ID and was picked up on it. When oen of my brothers was sent his learner’s permit they basically gave him a fake ID. Fully printed with all the fancy stamps and all that with an extra year to his birthday. Even when he got it replaced and said what the defect was they didn’t ask for it back.

Ahahah nice.
I know a few people who can change the numbers on your front and back of learners but the clubs have scanners in place now.
Its 19 in canada apparently…

Not many 18 year olds aren’t on their Ps unless they don’t have hours or failed their test anyway so learner’s is one that gets interest straight away.

Yeah. Mine are P’s
They see the red tag and just let you in smile

Interesting you ask this Dan, I am currently using one of the aforementioned companies (IEP) in going to Canada at the end of this year smile

It is a bit of financial outlay initially as Jeremy (Rider) said, however with 3 months to go before I leave I have my visa in front of me, my job sorted (table waiting - can’t complain), staff housing being sorted out now (I am travelling alone so doesn’t bother me whether I get staff housing or have to look myself), discount flights with the others that are going over with IEP sorted, discounted travel insurance sorted and paid for, and accommodation for the first few days I get there included…

I did a LOT of research before I went with IEP, looking through OWH and CCUSA as well, but found that what IEP offered as far as visa assistance, and the job fair employer options, worked better for what I was after for my trip…

I went with Panorama Mountain Village out of the job fair employers, simply because I didn’t really want to go to the second capital of Australia (Whistler - as I have heard it being called multiple times), I couldn’t start until late November/early December due to finishing Uni, and their start dates suited this whereas Sunshine Village (the other one I was really looking at) only had early start dates, and I figured because it is a little more out of the way and less well known than Whistler/Banff etc it would (might) have a little more of a Canadian vibe to it, which is again more of what I was after rather than it just being a buttload of Aussies working there, serving even more Aussie’s coming over for holidays…which it still may end up being anyway but yeah…

Don’t know whether this helps or not, I guess I will be able to tell you more when I get over there I spose…:P

Oh and also, the job ‘fair’ was great and ran very smoothly, however because the fairs run for 5 days and go Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, I would suggest getting in on one of the earlier days (Brisbane or Sydney) rather than Melbourne, where I was for the last day, as by this stage a LOT of the better jobs are gone and it is a bit more of a lottery getting the job(s) you are after at the resorts you are looking at…and makes it a lot harder if you have pigeon-holed one or two jobs in, because if they are gone basically you are screwed…which happened to a few people while I was there on the Monday…However in this situation from what I saw IEP dealt with it fantastically as well, giving full refunds etc…still doesn’t help with not getting to go for those people, but yeah…

Anyway I have rambled on enough, great to see you thinking about it anyway Dan, I can’t wait to head over there, and I will let you know how it all goes once I am there smile

Yea, I was asking about hte limitation as of age, but GPL, the info you provide is interesting… A parent or guardian can hand you the beer… what constitutes a guardian? someone of legal age?

Driving is like that.. you have to have your permit, but with a learners permit you can drive with anyone who has an actual permit.
There are new limitations that if you have a learners (and under 18 I think) you can only have one other friend in the car… something like that.

Another thing I have heard at resorts, with the international employees getting in trouble with is smoking pot, which is illegal in the US, and with guns…
Se simple BB guns or pellet guns can easily be bought at stores, and this is apparently pretty tempting for some. A BB gun was bought and brought back the the resort I worked at… Things were shot at in the residence halls, like a shooting gallery and some people were DEPORTED… it was a big deal.

snowslider - 15 August 2009 05:56 PM

Yea, I was asking about hte limitation as of age, but GPL, the info you provide is interesting… A parent or guardian can hand you the beer… what constitutes a guardian? someone of legal age?

Driving is like that.. you have to have your permit, but with a learners permit you can drive with anyone who has an actual permit.
There are new limitations that if you have a learners (and under 18 I think) you can only have one other friend in the car… something like that.

Another thing I have heard at resorts, with the international employees getting in trouble with is smoking pot, which is illegal in the US, and with guns…
Se simple BB guns or pellet guns can easily be bought at stores, and this is apparently pretty tempting for some. A BB gun was bought and brought back the the resort I worked at… Things were shot at in the residence halls, like a shooting gallery and some people were DEPORTED… it was a big deal.

Ermm that whole “one person inthe car thing” applies to P platers. And Red P’s which is the initial one can only carry one other passenger.
IRONICALLY, a person on their Learners can carry a whole car of passengers but as long as there is someone with a full-license sitting with them.
Anyone over 18 can hand you the beer.
Even is a waiter knows that it is for you, he cannot serve it to you. I think its taught in the “responsible serving of alcohol” courses or soemthing like that.
My mate works in a bar in the burvale hotel and told me this stuff when he was trained.

A guardian is a legal guardian but in many cases it will just be someone of legal age who says they’re a guardian. Our driving rule is that on your learner’s permit you must drive with a fully licensed person. When on your Ps we have one year of only 1 passenger between the ages of 16-21 (maybe not 21) unless siblings. After that year you have 2 years of probationary driving (no blood alcohol level)

nic - 15 August 2009 10:53 PM

A guardian is a legal guardian but in many cases it will just be someone of legal age who says they’re a guardian. Our driving rule is that on your learner’s permit you must drive with a fully licensed person. When on your Ps we have one year of only 1 passenger between the ages of 16-21 (maybe not 21) unless siblings. After that year you have 2 years of probationary driving (no blood alcohol level)

Which state is that in? Over here in SA it is fairly similar, 6 months/1 year (can’t remember which) of L-plates with having to have a fully licenced driver in the passenger seat, and having to do a number of driving hours in the log book (it was 50 hours of day & 10 night hours when I went through, but it might be 100/10 now), then onto your P’s after doing either the VORT (harder test but less lessons) or Log book (more lessons but get stuff ticked off before the easier final drive - despite the name both methods have to do the driving hours).

P’s changed just before I went through - 1 year on your P1’s, where you must display P-plates, no blood alcohol etc, followed by a computer test (seriously common sense it was clicking when you thought you should go, and leaving it if you thought you shouldn’t go - ie big truck at the intersection across from you, you are turning right - common sense would say don’t go because a car might pop out from behind it - but I saw 3 people while I was doing mine fail it 3 times each…surely after the first one you would figure out why…)

But anyway once you are on your P2’s you don’t have to display your P-plates, still no alcohol and 100 max speed, and you are on them for 6 months/until you are 19, whichever is longer - OR if you were only on your P1’s for a year, like me, but turn 19 before being on your P’s for a total of 2 years, you have to wait the full 2 years…only applies to slackers like me who took ages to get their P1’s initially…

then it is just a straight transition to full licence with the usual 12 demerit points (oh yeah - I think they changed it to NO demerit points on your P’s at all, so if you get done speeding 58 in a 50 zone - back on to your P1’s/L’s…but it was 3 before so I don’t really know about that…which I am glad about…) 0.05 blood alcohol reading, and doing whatever the speed limit sign says…

I really went the long way about explaining that didn’t I…sorry…

OH that’s right - I don’t know about restaurants but in any licenced venue I have worked in (bars, football clubs, conference centres) no one under 18 is allowed to consume alcohol on the premises, even if/especially not if their parent/guardian has bought it for them…this is a bigtime breach of the liquor licencing laws and if caught would result in biiig fines for all involved…and as far as I am aware the only place an underage person can consume liquor is at home under the supervision of parent/guardian…could be wrong though…

Oh another question for nic and GPL - do your L/P licences over that way have a big like imprint of the month & year of birth on the back? like 11/89 style right across the back of the card? Ours do until full licences (cos obviously you are going to be over 18 if you have a full licence) which the clubs/bars use to check even if the front has been altered, because it might be harder to alter the back? dunno…

What does the P stand for? Practice?

I wish I had found the OWH site previously instead of just relying on the BIG WHITE official site.

They have already had all their interviews for Canadian ski season workers early this month and all positions through OWH are closed.

Ive applied Via the resort websites for Big White and Silver Star

snowslider - 16 August 2009 02:55 AM

What does the P stand for? Practice?

Probationary

Slider, Probationary licenses come after Learner’s which is where you can drive with a full-licensed drive sitting next to you.
You need to clock up 120 hours in a car before you can go for the test to get a Probationary license. There are then 2 kinds of P’s - Red and Green.
Red is the first one and you can only carry one passenger.
Green means you can carry as many as you want.