The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Work/Ride Canada

Thanks everyone for your input - so great to have a forum like this for info.

I’ll be arriving around December 17-18, so I think the best bet is for me to keep an eye on the website till then, and if I don’t find anything before hand, just pimp myself out when I get there. I guess I just don’t want to turn around and come home if I don’t find anything! Anyone know what Kelowna’s like as a place to live and work in the worst case scenario?

Whistler is unreal. I was there for a week’s holiday last year. I just can’t go there this season for certain reasons (I know that sounds odd!)

Looking at flights, Seattle def seems like the best option. Apparently I can bus to Kelowna return for about $150 so that’s fab. Also means that I’ll fly out of Seattle which could mean a few sneaky grunge days there before I leave; I could certainly handle that.
So what’s this SIN thing everyone’s talking about too?
Also, what about net connection on mountains? Do pre-paid mobile broadband dongles work on the mountains?

SIN is the canadian version of a tax file number

In a few years the Mrs and I are thinking of relocatiing to Vancouver (having a chance to hit whistler year round fer a few). Any suggestions on what living areas to shoot for?

snowdragon - 02 November 2010 04:13 AM

In a few years the Mrs and I are thinking of relocatiing to Vancouver (having a chance to hit whistler year round fer a few). Any suggestions on what living areas to shoot for?

Well it all depends on your price range. If you are looking for something really cheap the best place would be in Burnaby area,which is about a 2 hour drive from whistler and about 30 - 40 minutes from the mountains.. If you have a little bit of money to play with shoot for north van. North Van is on the other side of the water from Vancouver and if located right near 2 of the local ski and snowboard mountains and only about an hour and a half from Whistler.

Another beautiful area would be Kitsilano, it’s more expensive but it’s right near the ocean and pretty much everything you need is close.

Another question:
I applied for my working holiday visa on November 29. I plan to travel to Canada on December 15.
That allows 6.5 weeks for my Visa to come though. i knwo that’s cutting it fine, but form most reports people have said that should be fine.

The only thing is that the WHP site says not to book any travel or insurance until you get notification that the visa’s been processed. I don’t want to leave it till then because airfares will probably be through the roof…does anyone have any advice on this? Has anyone brought their tickets before they received their Visa and was it a problem?

I assume that was 29 Oct?

I didn’t buy my ticket before I got my work permit (i.e. the letter of introduction) but I can tell you my work permit came pretty quick, I think 2-3 weeks.

I received my letter of introduction (working visa) in less than four weeks. Just over two weeks is cutting a fine line for sure. Was your application complete with everything that was required? If so, hope for the best, you might get it in time.

There’s nothing stopping you from booking your flights and insurance. In fact I booked my flights many months before applying for the visa. The reason they say not to is for your protection; just incase they deny your application or something along those lines, then you have wasted your money on flights and insurance.

Worst case scenario: If you don’t receive your letter of introduction in time, you would have to enter Canada on a holiday visa, then leave the country (you can get a bus just over the border to Bellingham or Seattle) and return again on the working visa. Your other option is waiting in Australia till you receive the letter of introduction; you might need to delay your leaving date.

Let us know how it goes.

Dan83 - 04 November 2010 03:05 AM

I assume that was 29 Oct?

I didn’t buy my ticket before I got my work permit (i.e. the letter of introduction) but I can tell you my work permit came pretty quick, I think 2-3 weeks.

If it’s October 29th then you should be fine. Don’t quote me on that though… wink

Yeah it’s a pretty mixed timeframe for it I’ve found, my renewal was done within 2 weeks this time around and the application process is identical to the original one so you should be fine.

Yeah, sorry; I’m a looser. It was October 29 (time travel machine not working yet!)

Not too bad at all if the worst case scenario is just heading over and then crossing the boarder once the letter comes through. Or maybe I just look at a flexible airfare.

If I do arrive without a visa, doesn’t sound like it’s too much of an effort to just cross the boarder when the letter comes through. I don’t need a visa as a tourist right?

Thanks for your advice guys.

jacs - 04 November 2010 11:48 AM

Yeah, sorry; I’m a looser. It was October 29 (time travel machine not working yet!)

Not too bad at all if the worst case scenario is just heading over and then crossing the boarder once the letter comes through. Or maybe I just look at a flexible airfare.

If I do arrive without a visa, doesn’t sound like it’s too much of an effort to just cross the boarder when the letter comes through. I don’t need a visa as a tourist right?

Thanks for your advice guys.

No, you shouldn’t need a visa to enter as a visitor; they will just issue you a holiday visa as you enter the country. Best to double check though.

Re-birthing an old one here.

So I’m finally doing the Canadian snow season. Next season. I have to enter the country before October 18th this year.

I have a friend who lives in Victoria and I’m hoping I can crash on his couch for a while at the start of my visit before I move to a resort/area close to a resort etc.

I’m only just starting to do my research so if anyone has any pointers feel free to sling them my way. Especially in regards to which area or resort to try and work for.

I’m going to try and get bar work or hospitality work so hopefully I can work nights and board during the day. Also that might get me some time to do some volunteer media work which will be rad! At the moment I’m considering Banff or Jasper as my destination of choice however need to do way more research before I decide which area to aim for.

I’m so keen! :D