The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Most Improved Photographer - SNOW 2011

Gamblor thank you as usual :-D

Title: Watch and Learn: Corked BS 720
Rider: Torre Marr-Smith
Date: 21/08/2011

Gamblor - 26 August 2011 03:04 AM

ah, right. leave them here then.

I do realize that this is a comp, and therefore remove myself from bein in the runnin!!!!

I just thought that ya could give me some feedback as to your observations with some of my first efforts, on my first dslr!!!!

I will be takin it to the Shred next month, in the hope of gettin some great weather and get a chance to use it on some movin subjects!!!!

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated as what might look good to me, can be very ordinary to others, and I know that ya don’t mince ya words, and I will take ya opinions seriously, as I did so when purchasin the camera in the first place!!!! ; )

no worries Kuma. just a bit slammed right now. going to hakuba for the day today so I’ll get to them on sunday. Bottom line: they look good and you have a good eye

Thanks mate, take ya time!!!!!  cool smile

Alright, Mizu. Composition is pretty good for most of the shots. #3 I fell the rock is sticking out too far. I also think there’s too much shadow in this shot - what’s the focus in this shot? What are you trying to show? It seems split between the rock and the sunlit portion. #5 is a bit dark and #6 could be brighter too.
The trouble with landscapes is that you really have be there at the right time to get great shots. Apart from #3 I think that if you had been there at the right time (sometimes it only happens once a year!) then you would have gotten killer shots.
If there’s some action going on then average weather conditions are ok. Put a hot girl in a bikini in all of your shots and everyone would be saying how you’re an amazing photographer! wink

Cool, thanks for the feedback mate!!!!!

I’ll detract my statement in the other thread now!!!!!  wink

Some more Gamblor

Noice!

Last one is my fav!

Cool shots Blizz!

Thanks guys, just hoping Gamblor can help me learn how to not have the purple glare in the last photo!

johnlaker - 26 August 2011 02:45 PM

Title: Watch and Learn: Corked BS 720
Rider: Torre Marr-Smith
Date: 21/08/2011

I missed this one before no thanks to Mizu.

Well, John (may I call you by your first name? You can call me, errr, Gamb?), you’ve got a great composition here. I can tell that you know your stuff about framing a shot. Only three things I can critique: the rider’s outerwear is too dark and we can’t see what he’s doing exactly. This kind of kills the shot. There’s two things you can do to remedy this in the future. 1) bring some monolights and nuke him, or 2) smack him upside the head for being good enough to throw down some heavy tricks but dumb enough to wear all black. Make him buy a new jacket!
Next, the follow-cam dude is pretty wack. He seems to be stopping which makes you wonder why he isn’t jumping too, and also why he didn’t lend his jacket to the dude in the black. If you had gotten those two to do a switcheroo, I’d have nothing to critique - so maybe that’s a good thing. So, your eye is drawn to the guy in the red, stopping, instead of the corked 720.
Lastly, you have some punters on the jump. Act like you’re in the midst of a Burton photo shoot and tell them to scram.

Anyways, good stuff - let’s see some more!

blizzard_22 - 22 September 2011 10:23 AM

Some more Gamblor

First one: This is good. You’ve got a v-shape in the foreground (those darker trees) which draws your eye into the photo. This made me check out the back mountain. Meh, I thought, not really extreme there…but something caught my eye. I looked closer and saw some tracks in some nice looking powder fields. How far away is that? Do you have to hike there? All these questions you had me thinking are great. Mission accomplished with this shot.

Second: Great colours and I think you thought that ice looked cool. The problem with this shot is that there’s two many branches being cut off. It seems awkward and seems like you should have either zoomed in more to isolate the ice (not sure if you can) or zoomed out to get more of the tree.

Third: You asked about the purple. That is from lens flare from shooting into the sun. Boost the f-stop to f16 or higher. Since the tree isn’t going anywhere, take some shots and close the f-stop until the sun makes a nice star-shape. Other than that, the branch in the middle cuts the picture in half and as such, is awkward. Without that, you’d have a nicely balanced photo with the sun in the top right, the mountain in the bottom right and the ice on the branches on the left.
Good stuff Blizz, I can tell that you’re thinking about your shots (or maybe I am acting through your subconscious when you take those shots, either or)

The first shot is taken from Blue Cow looking towards Guthega Peak, and the Screw/Mother in Law trails. The only thing I would work on further is editing in photoshop to bring out some more colour. I didn’t want to do that for this though cause it is about the photo not the editing.

Thanks Gamblor! grin

don’t think you need more colour.