The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Most Improved Photographer - SNOW 2011

Lighten up the whole pic or just the slope? Should I just HDR it?

I didn’t want to photoshop anything I have been posting here cause I wasn’t sure it was allowed?!

Photoshop is no different to PROCESSING. Your camera processes each shot (unless you shoot RAW).

Every photo needs processing - so go ahead. It doesn’t matter what program you use.

In the sunset photo did you up the ISO? because it looks grainy in the shadows. You could have slowed the film speed down and opened the aperture more. The great thing with digital is being able to go one stop different, shoot, check, another stop, shoot…. (a stop is photographers language for a single change in settings)

Tip; the LCD on your camera can show how much contrast you can adjust in processing, by tilting the screen up and down your shot will change from high to low contrast.
For snow photography I show the highlights on my LCD and generally shoot so a small portion of the image is becoming overexposed.

The outstretched arms photo is very good, well done!

just move up the exposure by .5 or 1 for the whole shot (in lightroom. if you use different software the wording might be different). Just eyeball it and choose whatever looks best to you.

I use photoshop cs5 and will try a couple things including the exposure. Will show you the end result!

Spaz, I did have a high ISO of 800. I should have played more with the settings but the Pub was calling my name… LOL!

i always shoot in raw these days. makes processing soooo much easier imho,

I made the vibrance higher and it brought out a lot more colour:

is it in raw?

raise the exposure for the bottom half, save it, then stitch the 2 together and voila! one awesome shot

Nah it isn’t. I personally was trying to go for a more silhouette look at the bottom half and focus more on the clouds. Anymore suggestions?

Just my opinion (As I am not a photogpert), is that the crowd take the focus off te sky a little!!!!

I hope ya don’t mind me croppin it to show ya what I mean????

Nah don’t mind at all, the sky was my focus in the first place. I just thought when cropped it made the image look unproportioned… if that makes sense.

GAMBLOR!!!!!

ahh so you wanted a silhoutte look. umm one option is desaturate the entire photo, then re colour the sky using the heal tool?

With some help from Gamblor I have brought out a lot more colour in the sky.

I tried the silhouette look and didn’t like it.

Thanks again Gamblor!!!

That is a much nicer photo now blizzard, good work smile

Gamblor - 21 July 2011 02:38 AM

Yes, I use pw’s (plus II). They won’t do anything for your 1/250 sync though. the more expensive tt something might give you a higher sync speed but you would need to research it.

In your photo, if you had used another flash as a rim it would make the rider stand out more. Also, only lower the ambient by 2 stops. It looks lower in your shot

The newer pocket wizards are supposed to sync up to 1/8000th. My camera doesn’t even have a shutter speed that fast however!