The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Most Improved Photographer - SNOW 2011

any ideas how i can improve the shot? just played around with levels and brightness / contrast in PS until it looked a little better, not really sure what i’m doing though smile

Falls Creek, 29/7/2011

original

touched up a little

the colours are popping more now, i wouldnt go to much further with it as the colours will start to look artificial

I would take the saturation down a tad, say 1/3 of what you raised it. Other than that, in terms of colours, it’s fine. The composition though…. I would recommend that you go back in time and get your camera out earlier so you don’t cut the heli blades tongue wink

I’ll post this here as well…
any feedback?

“Mt Twynam”  - Perisher/Guthega - 23.07.11

Hi Craig, welcome to BW!

Nice photo. I haven’t been to Mt. Twynam so I don’t know the area…but it looks like you have on of the icicles right in front of the peak (most important bit of a mountain usually), so if you scoot over a few cm’s to your right your pic would become heaps better imo

Title: Battleship Gap
Rider: John Laker
Date: 5th August 2011

FS180 Stalefish Gap

Title: Lay Back and Slash

CraigKelly - 12 August 2011 01:13 PM

I’ll post this here as well…
any feedback?

“Mt Twynam”  - Perisher/Guthega - 23.07.11

Craig Kelly lol LOL
Is your name actually Craig Kelly by some awesome coincidence?
Or r u just using his name in memory of him?

Spent some more time being patient with photos Gamblor… so hopefully they are improving! For critiquing…

This image to me screams winter, but I think I should have taken the photo as a landscape not portrait. Thoughts?

I love this photo!

This is the photo I used for a 1m x .5m canvas.

This one I think I may have rushed…

johnlaker - 25 August 2011 12:44 PM

Title: Battleship Gap

FS180 Stalefish Gap

Title: Lay Back and Slash

1) Pretty good shot. Not much to say here. You could make the rider do it again and get his non-grabbing hand to be up and out instead of in front of his body. You could play a bit with the angles, but it’s just little stuff. ie get lower to the ground, move up one step and one step to the right. Try to put the down rail of the battleship a tad more to the left so it’s pointing at the corner of the photo.

2) do it again, without the lurker. the snow looks blown behind the rider. Actually, the most important problem with this shot is the lack of spray. Have that guy throwing a big arc of the white stuff and you’d have a killer shot. Consider getting lower too (get the camera closer to the lip)

blizzard_22 - 25 August 2011 01:48 PM

Spent some more time being patient with photos Gamblor… so hopefully they are improving! For critiquing…

This image to me screams winter, but I think I should have taken the photo as a landscape not portrait. Thoughts?

I love this photo!

This is the photo I used for a 1m x .5m canvas.

This one I think I may have rushed…

1) love the colours and the fog. either get the sun out of the shot, or use a high aperture to make it into a star. something like f16/f22. You’re shooting digital so chimp until you get it right.
2) this photo is too busy imo. There’s too much going on. if the leaves weren’t there it would be better. If you opened the aperture to 2.8 or wider and got some of the elements out of focus then it might improve. I think you just need to move around and find a different angle

3) exposure is fine, but the tracks aren’t clean…plus it looks flat! Try this somewhere steeper

4) tripod plus slower shutter speed will make the water all smooth. I think you need to back out and shoot more context around the waterfall.

A couple from my Falls Creek Trip, for ya to <strike>pull apart</strike> give me feedback on, Gamblor!!!!!

The weather didn’t really give me a chance to take it into the white stuff, hence the lack of those pics, but I thought that I may as well whack theses up for a first real use of my new Nikon!!!!

And another 3 from the same trip,

i think you need to get these in the photo critique thread since these aren’t really snow shots.

Gamblor - 26 August 2011 02:49 AM

i think you need to get these in the photo critique thread since these aren’t really snow shots.

But they have snow in them!!!!! (Well, one has melted snow!!!!!)

I thought that the critique thread required board action pics only????

I have no place to go from here!!!!!  downer

ah, right. leave them here then.