The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Team Progress Board.

chucky - 22 August 2011 03:10 AM
fatima4u - 21 August 2011 10:54 AM

got both jumps landed in high noon 2day!!! stoked that i landed them

Awesome mate! I need to ride with you and the sauce more - you inspire me to do stuff I normally wouldn’t.

Yeah, the only time that I feel like punchin myself in the face, is when I hang around those two!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 22 August 2011 04:13 AM

Awesome mate! I need to ride with you and the sauce more - you inspire me to do stuff I normally wouldn’t.

Yeah, the only time that I feel like punchin myself in the face, is when I hang around those two!!!!

LOL

chucky - 22 August 2011 04:17 AM

LOL

yea 4 sure chuck!!! n why the hell do u feel like punching urself dev lol??

Cause him and spaz have ‘DEVON HEADS’  smirk

fatima4u - 22 August 2011 02:42 PM

LOL

For not learnin from my mistakes!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 22 August 2011 11:31 PM
fatima4u - 22 August 2011 02:42 PM

LOL

For not learnin from my mistakes!!!!!

LOL

this season I learnt to ride switch and started hitting some small jumps for the first time. smile

Well done, AshStix! Great effort! shaka

Thanks Rider smile I was pretty stoked having only focussed on freeriding previous years I started to get into freestyle riding for the first time this season smile

You’re doing the right thing. Switch riding is the most important skill to learn if you want to improve your freestyle riding. Keep going with it! smile

Had a bit of a weird year progression wise, I was mindful of trying to too much before my NZ trip so kept playing it fairly safe lest I injure myself prior to the trip which isn’t super conducive to progression.  Having said that I did ride a lot and i think my riding improved in more subtle ways that I don’t really notice until I think about it. 

I found doing small things like nollie to manual, other small butters and all 4 variations of 180’s off small lips and park jumps were something I could do without much thought and land the vast majority of the time where previously there was some thought and visualisation required.  I found that my ability to ride switch improved even more, if natural is 100% I found my switch riding went from about 60-70% of natural riding to closer to 80% maybe more.  Hitting park jumps switch and landing straight airs was a new one as well.  My confidence at speed is a lot better, specially in tighter situations like through trees and rocks where you need to be fairly precise about what your doing.

These sort of pale in significance when compared to what I wanted to accomplish though which is the source of some frustration.  A combo of not wanting to get hurt and waste my NZ trip at the end of the season, a lack of off snow training and general fitness and flexibility were probably the biggest limitations and then in NZ I did get injured and the rest of the season I was in too much pain with a rib injury to really push anything.

On the plus side I have got a season pass for next year, a 4wd to get me there no matter the weather, a couple of guys who board better than i do to push me and a whole off season of surfing and other exercise to get me ready again.  Oh and I might be doing Utah at Xmas, hopefully my powder riding will come on in leaps and bounds over there ha ha!

nthnbeachesguy - 06 October 2011 01:22 AM

. . .Oh and I might be doing Utah at Xmas, hopefully my powder riding will come on in leaps and bounds over there ha ha!

If you get the chance, head out to Ogden (about 60km north of Salt Lake City), and hit up Powder Mountain and Snowbasin - EPIC!

Firstly nice work ashstix, keep us up to date with any new tricks you learn or if you have any quieries then you know where to post them right?
Nthnbeachesguy, I hear what you’re saying with the injury vs progression issue.  Right now i’m about 4 weeks away from the start of the season and I have ample time to plan out my park riding schedual during the menial job i’m lumbered with at the moment.  I really want to learn some bigger spins off big jumps but of course it’s so easy to break a rib, collar bone or just bruise the hell out of your coksix (i didn’t have a clue how to spell it so i gave up).  I think what I’m heading towards is lots of straight air off the bigger jumps then back 1s, front and back 3s and then whichever 5 i’m finding easiest and then hopefully I should have a pretty good feel for the jumps and know when it’s time to send her for the money!!

Same kinda thing on rails, although there is one single round bar, street style rail which is scary to hit and I guess there is no easy way to warm up, just see it clearly in your mind and then stomp it….yeah sounds so easy eh!

Anyways Nthnbeachesguy I just wanted to say I feel the pain and frustration of progression hampered by potential/actual injury!

Happy shredding!

Aidy - 16 October 2011 10:53 PM

it’s so easy to break a rib, collar bone or just bruise the hell out of your coksix (i didn’t have a clue how to spell it so i gave up).

Coccyx - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccyx

Not an easy one to spell hey Aidy smile

Meanwhile, I didn’t get to ride too much this year but when I did, I progressed pretty well. By the end of the shred, I could pull 180’s (still not great but I could get them) and got back to hitting that 20 footer on High Noon. I learnt to do the Flying Squirrel and was trying some of the other grabs and found that riding so many different boards how different they can actually be.

Hopefully Japan gets me a bit more confident in powder and I can continue to improve my spins and maybe hit a 360 in the near future smile

chucky - 13 October 2011 11:10 AM
nthnbeachesguy - 06 October 2011 01:22 AM

. . .Oh and I might be doing Utah at Xmas, hopefully my powder riding will come on in leaps and bounds over there ha ha!

If you get the chance, head out to Ogden (about 60km north of Salt Lake City), and hit up Powder Mountain and Snowbasin - EPIC!

I can’t keep up with my girlfriend and her decisions, looks like now we will be going to Japan again but we might end up in Korea at the rate she has been changing her mind.