The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Snowboarding Short Film Contest 2012

CRACKERS - 01 October 2012 08:51 PM

what was the cost like? did you book a long time in advance or just wait until the last minute? what sort of beacon did they give you?

I did the full 8 runs and because it was Spring there was $200 off, $899NZD. Other seasons I would just call up day before and ask to be put on waiting list and that is usually a good $200-300 off. Wouldn’t chance it on epic pow days though as they can fill up quickly especially after a long dry spell.

They use Mammut Barryvox transceivers if I recall. I also rode with the shovel and probe backpack in the vid as I could stow my makeshift gopro pole. Downside was I had to drop in last out of the group.

zhenjie - 02 October 2012 03:56 AM
CRACKERS - 01 October 2012 08:51 PM

what was the cost like? did you book a long time in advance or just wait until the last minute? what sort of beacon did they give you?

I did the full 8 runs and because it was Spring there was $200 off, $899NZD. Other seasons I would just call up day before and ask to be put on waiting list and that is usually a good $200-300 off. Wouldn’t chance it on epic pow days though as they can fill up quickly especially after a long dry spell.

They use Mammut Barryvox transceivers if I recall. I also rode with the shovel and probe backpack in the vid as I could stow my makeshift gopro pole. Downside was I had to drop in last out of the group.

I was talking to Azz about heliboarding today and saying that I would never prebook just ride ride in the area and if a good front was coming try and get in last minute.  I didn’t know it was cheaper if you got on the waiting list. cool!

do you mean they don’t make everyone ride with a shovel and probe? just the person that comes last?

I got lucky and rode a good heli day near whistler last time I was there - Everyone has a transceiver, but only one group member and the guide had the probe and shovel (for that company..)

I doubt many full paying clients would be happy riding their glory heli day with a backpack! I was a waiting list discount guy, and the only regret I have is that your group can be slow and boring! We had some europeans who didn’t want a bar of deep tree runs or steep snow. We hunted for some gnarly spots a little but the guide hated it. If you can, go with friends or people you know are as good or better then you!

I would’ve thought that everyone would have probes and a shovel?????

fmf - 02 October 2012 11:12 AM

I got lucky and rode a good heli day near whistler last time I was there - Everyone has a transceiver, but only one group member and the guide had the probe and shovel (for that company..)

I doubt many full paying clients would be happy riding their glory heli day with a backpack! I was a waiting list discount guy, and the only regret I have is that your group can be slow and boring! We had some europeans who didn’t want a bar of deep tree runs or steep snow. We hunted for some gnarly spots a little but the guide hated it. If you can, go with friends or people you know are as good or better then you!

I doubt they would be that happy if there was a multiple burial and only one probe and shovel, or if the last rider got buried. A backpack with a probe and shovel doesn’t weigh much at all.

I guess the proviso for that situation is covered by the heli being present, with more gear, and the 3+ extra teams that are on the hill in adjoining area’s with gear, that could be dropped within minutes at the avalanche site.  As far as I know that was standard practice for the company we went with. Maybe it gets different in higher risk area’s?

yeah with heli park we just had a transceiver each…guide had the probe and shovel….and we had to get lifted off the mountain when it avied in front of us. We were strapped in ready to go and freddy was just about to jump and go when it popped. 10 secs earlier and he’d prob have been dead and 30secs earlier and I prob would have been dead as well. Scary stuff. 2 guys in our group were partially buried on a different part of the mountain, everyone else was already safe down the bottom, thankfully.

We had a small backpack anyway for the video camera, but not one big enough for a shovel or probe, I don’t think.

Was enough to put me off heli. Did it once, it was fun and scary and the helicopter ride was ace. Don’t particularly feel like doing it again though. Maybe one day.

zhenjie - 01 October 2012 06:32 AM

it’s a meme helmet. sometimes you look into things way to much chucky.

I could see that it was ‘a meme helmet’. What I couldn’t comprehend, is that with so many memes you there, you chose that one?! I’d say some people don’t ‘look into things’ near enough.

^ But that’s just my opinion. Don’t let me stop you - your helmet, your deal, your choice.

Here is my entry in this contest. One of my best days riding pow last season!

Welcome to Boardworld, Nebz.

The good news is that you scored a great late season pow day at the Bird.

The bad news (in the contest rules) is that “All filming must take place during the current 2012 Southern Hemisphere snow season”.

Hmm, really? I know that I have friends who were riding South America when this was shot(they were touring of course.). People are snowboarding all the time all over the world at any given month on the planet. Hell, 10/11 we were snowboarding at the Bird July 4th 2011. What was opening day down there this season?

Season in Australia started end of June. But that is just Australia…not sure when other places in the southern hemi opened.

Dr Nebz - 03 October 2012 03:51 PM

Hmm, really? I know that I have friends who were riding South America when this was shot(they were touring of course.). People are snowboarding all the time all over the world at any given month on the planet. Hell, 10/11 we were snowboarding at the Bird July 4th 2011. What was opening day down there this season?

South America is Southern Hemi so even if they were touring it would count…..But there are a few places in the Northern hemisphere that are open in spring/summer (eg Stryne Norway) so not sure what the ruling is on vids from there. I suspect its filmed in the Southern half of the globe only, but not sure. Nice pow by the way.

chucky - 03 October 2012 01:03 PM
zhenjie - 01 October 2012 06:32 AM

it’s a meme helmet. sometimes you look into things way to much chucky.

I could see that it was ‘a meme helmet’. What I couldn’t comprehend, is that with so many memes you there, you chose that one?! I’d say some people don’t ‘look into things’ near enough.

Pedo bear is hell funny, i have one on my car.

A meme is something to laugh at, thats about as far as you need to look into it imho