The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

~ TRAVEL INSURANCE - Who to deal with, and who not to ~

KoNG - 24 January 2013 12:15 PM
drc13 - 21 December 2012 01:57 AM
KoNG - 21 December 2012 01:32 AM
drc13 - 20 December 2012 11:55 PM

So far my research has revealed that AAMI, skiinsurance.com and insure4less seem to cover everything but I’ve only just started looking into it.

Interesting, i use AAMI for my car insurances, might look into them.
DRC, please post back if you find any further info on their policy etc.

Yeah I use them for my car/house insurance as well. At this stage they are the cheapest of the quotes I’ve got $150ish vs $210ish of the others but they do have a $200 excess vs $100 for most of the others.

I’ve just sent them an email to confirm off-piste/out of bounds coverage.

Hey DRC, did you get any feedback from AAMI..?
are you going with them.?

Hey DRC or anyone else that has used AAMI for travel insurance…
Any feedback that you would care to share?

Will be travelling to NZ in August for 2 weeks.

xdfubar - 05 July 2013 11:48 AM
KoNG - 24 January 2013 12:15 PM
drc13 - 21 December 2012 01:57 AM
KoNG - 21 December 2012 01:32 AM
drc13 - 20 December 2012 11:55 PM

So far my research has revealed that AAMI, skiinsurance.com and insure4less seem to cover everything but I’ve only just started looking into it.

Interesting, i use AAMI for my car insurances, might look into them.
DRC, please post back if you find any further info on their policy etc.

Yeah I use them for my car/house insurance as well. At this stage they are the cheapest of the quotes I’ve got $150ish vs $210ish of the others but they do have a $200 excess vs $100 for most of the others.

I’ve just sent them an email to confirm off-piste/out of bounds coverage.

Hey DRC, did you get any feedback from AAMI..?
are you going with them.?

Hey DRC or anyone else that has used AAMI for travel insurance…
Any feedback that you would care to share?

Will be travelling to NZ in August for 2 weeks.

Hey mate,

Fortunately for me but unfortunately for you, I had a completely trouble free trip this time. As a result my only interaction with AAMI was purchasing the cover!

I did go off piste/out of bounds so it was good peace of mind knowing I was covered.

I’ve had 2 claims with travel insurance direct and never had any trouble.
One was in New Zealand and one was in Japan

Both were handled very well by everyone on their side

My 2c

AAMI doesnt offer insurance for more than 180 days unfortunately for those of us travelling for long periods of time.

I have some pre-existing medical conditions that make me a bit hesitant about some companies and make me tend to lean towards HBF as they at least should have some medical understanding but do not cover off piste according to their PDS.

Im friends with the girl who’s bungee cord snapped in Africa, she recommends Covermore because they were really good for her.
Here is one video inc short interview for those that haven’y seen it.

holy sheeeeet 900steve….so, so crazy!

We’re using HBF travel insurance cos we’re both professional photographers so have a lot of expensive gear that needs to be covered. Great for price and we used them last year for a trip to Vietnam where I ended up in hospital and had no troubles claiming, so definitely one to check out!

I use Southern Cross Insurance so far every time I travel Japan, Europe NZ. I never really needed to claim but the prices on cover is really cheap. The policies are alright , always pays to read them,!

For me now though unfortunately they don’t cover off piste/backcountry so I’m out digging for insurance that would cover that for my next trip. More policy reading!!

Saw this thread and am needing help.

Getting lost in the number of policies etc. i’m looking at skiinsurance.com.au, world of nomads, and fast cover. as at the moment i have no idea anyone else used any of these?

Thanks all

People have been against Nomads. Haven’t heard anything about the other 2 yet.

I ended up taking out travel insurance with AAMI for my NZ trip.
It cost $112.07 for 2 people for 12 days cover.

Can’t say anything else since I (fortunately) didn’t need to claim for anything.

Other than that, I did get an email confirming:

Thank you for your email.
Your medical expenses will be covered providing that your snowboarding is purely for recreational purposes.
Also your sporting equipment will be covered up to $2000 under a multi person policy.
If you have any further questions please call us on 13 22 44.

Not sure about off piste etc as it wasn’t required.

xd

xdfubar - 03 September 2013 02:59 PM

Your medical expenses will be covered providing that your snowboarding is purely for recreational purposes.

I think this means that if you were competing or earn $$ whilst snowboarding you aren’t covered,

On a side note… I just accidentally almost edited your post instead of quoting - LOL Damn mod powers!

Yeah I’ve done that before too… you get used to it smile

Going with Allianz for my upcoming trip to Japan. Don’t exactly need off piste coverage in Sep/Oct though!

drc13 - 03 September 2013 03:27 PM

Going with Allianz for my upcoming trip to Japan. Don’t exactly need off piste coverage in Sep/Oct though!

Guessing you’re not going boarding then? lol

TJswish - 03 September 2013 04:28 PM
drc13 - 03 September 2013 03:27 PM

Guessing you’re not going boarding then? lol

haha if there’s any snow on Mt Fuji I’m going to be mighty tempted! But no this will be more Japan than Japow this time it’s actually been bloody hot there recently.