The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

~ TRAVEL INSURANCE - Who to deal with, and who not to ~

Mudhoney - 21 December 2012 02:11 AM

I don’t know too much about travel insurance, but here are two things that may be of interest:

1. I was looking at TID for last winter’s boarding trip as their policy looked really good on paper.  I called them before the trip to see if I could insure my new boards, mainly in the event I left one in the ski/board room at the lodge and someone stole it.  Apparently being in the lodge (entry is via PIN code) but not in my actual room is not good enough and they wouldn’t cover that.  From what I was told, your gear either has to be in locked room where you have sole access, or it is directly under your supervision (ie. you are looking right at it) for their insurance to cover it.  So I didn’t bother with it.

2. For those who hire cars, travel insurance can be a cheaper way to avoid the steep damage excess waivers the car hire companies charge.

Yeah they had a long list of excuses when my stuff got stolen as well, TID never again!

Agree with your 2nd point whenever I’ve hired cars I’ve pikced up a cheap travel insurance plan instead of the hire companies inflated costs.

Ive used world nomads a bunch of times and would recommend them. I havent actually had to make a claim but Ive had a few mates who have needed to and havent had any dramas. they’re usually one of the cheapest too smile

drc13 - 21 December 2012 01:57 AM
KoNG - 21 December 2012 01:32 AM
drc13 - 20 December 2012 11:55 PM

So far my research has revealed that AAMI, skiinsurance.com and insure4less seem to cover everything but I’ve only just started looking into it.

Interesting, i use AAMI for my car insurances, might look into them.
DRC, please post back if you find any further info on their policy etc.

Yeah I use them for my car/house insurance as well. At this stage they are the cheapest of the quotes I’ve got $150ish vs $210ish of the others but they do have a $200 excess vs $100 for most of the others.

I’ve just sent them an email to confirm off-piste/out of bounds coverage.

Hey DRC, did you get any feedback from AAMI..?
are you going with them.?

I have always gone with http://www.worldnomads.com.au/. I find their policies are quite solid and definitely one of the best value policies out there. I’ve never had any issues with them over the years and I have had to claim twice (both times they covered all the costs). I will book with them again.

Cool I will check them out, that’s a few thumbs up for them.

rider26 - 24 January 2013 01:53 AM

I have always gone with http://www.worldnomads.com.au/. I find their policies are quite solid and definitely one of the best value policies out there. I’ve never had any issues with them over the years and I have had to claim twice (both times they covered all the costs). I will book with them again.

Thanks Rider,
Just signed with them and even found a promo code for 10% off…

done.

KoNG - 24 January 2013 06:36 AM
rider26 - 24 January 2013 01:53 AM

Thanks Rider,
Just signed with them and even found a promo code for 10% off…

done.

Yeah I’ve used them a few times and made a claim and got my money back.

3 months ago i broke both my legs in whistler. i was insured with 1cover snowboard insurance and they have done a fantastic job! its been quite an operation but they have been very helpful the whole way. paying all my medical bills, keeping in contact with me during my hospital stay and flying my brother over for 3 weeks to stay with me in a hotel while we waited for a flight home. now that im back in aus we have put our claim through and they haven’t questioned anything. i will definitely be using them again!

Holy Shit, Justin!!!!!

Glad to hear that the Insurance Co is doin the right thing, but how did ya break both legs?????

i was up the top of 7th heaven (whistler) early in the season and there wasn’t that much coverage, i did an ollie off a little drop that i thought the landing was clear. i landed, saw a big rock and tried to stop on my heel edge and went straight into it going real quick. it hit right in the middle of my board, it snapped and my legs took all the force.. end of season!

Ouch!!!!!

Hope ya have a speedy recovery!!!!!

Really sorry to hear that happened to you, Justin.  hmmm

At least insurance looked after you. Thanks for telling us your story.

thanks and no worries!

I just heard a horror story about RACV’s travel insurance.

someone I work with sister was in Thailand and was in a motorcycle accident. List of injuries MASSIVE.

the travel insurance decided that they thought she was going to die anyway so refused to continue pay the hospital bills (so essentially leaving her to die) except for repatriation (after death) to australia!!

She won eventually and is home now leaving a normal life. It all could have ended so differently!!

big surprise