The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

savings for canada

hey there i’m really hoping to get over to canada at the end of the year and work their season. but i have no idea how much money i should save, but should probably start thinking about it soon. i also want to work the aus season and have applied for every resort, so i understand that i won’t be saving much money there haha

any sort of feedback is helpful as im just starting out and could use all the help i can cheers

Welcome to Boardworld, wetblanket. cool smile

Any idea where you want to stay in Canada?

A lot of resorts have staff accommodation available; that’s usually the cheapest option and a great way to meet people. I believe staff housing in Whistler runs approx $450 a month.

The first thing you will need to sort out is a work visa. You can apply here: http://www.whpcanada.org.au/

One of the requirements of the visa is you show evidence of $3000 in a bank account. This is to show that you can support yourself while getting settled and finding a job. As long as you look for a job fairly quickly, $3000 in savings should be more than enough to get you through the season (providing you work).

The other expenses include flights over. On average I’ve spent approx $1800 on return flights to Canada (sometimes cheaper).

The other thing you need to consider is equipment and anything else you need for travel, i.e. snowboard, jacket, pants etc.

To summarise, you will need $3000 in the bank, approx $1800 for flights, and you need to think in advance about accommodation options and gear you need to purchase etc. Those are the main expenses.

Let me know if you have any further questions and I will be happy to help you. Cheers.

Don’t forget about travel insurance as well!

When flying to Canada sometimes it is cheaper to fly via the States, somewhere like LA and then get another flight onto Vancouver, so check out all possible routes for the cheapest one.

Although it is not always easy, try to start looking for potential jobs before you get to Canada, apply online and go to job fairs (if there are any in oz). Sometimes you may just get an interview date. Check out where each resort is in Canada as you may need to travel to some resorts for interviews, this will help you plan the route you take and you can look up prices/traveling times before you go.

Instead of the $3000 in your bank, I think you can also use a credit card if you don’t manage to save quite enough - Although they never checked me for funds, and rarely do for anyone else it seems.
I took with me about $1300cad in cash and when I got to my job I still had about $600, this paid for boots, jacket, transport, food and booze for about 1 1/2 weeks. However I had free accommodation and a job waiting.

If you get a job on a field this coming season, you will probably meet a lot of people who have been or are going. A great chance to pick their minds and maybe make a friend to travel with!

SamNZ - 21 March 2012 09:38 PM

Don’t forget about travel insurance as well!

Great point. Never travel without travel insurance. Depending on who you go with, you’re probably looking at around $500 for a 6 month policy although you can probably find a bit cheaper. I think I pay about $400 with http://www.worldnomads.com.

that is roughly in the ball park of where i was thinking, i already have board and gear although none of it has touched snow yet (the season couldn’t come fast enough)

im thinking i would love to go to sun peaks big white banff or maybe whistler. but it’s still early days yet gotta pick where in aus i wanna go haha

these websites will be really helpful thanks a heap and a will let you know how i get on

Welcome to BW wetblanket smile

Yeah, welcome to BW, WB!!!!!  shaka

No worries mate, let us know how you go. Feel free to shoot us more questions.

hi to all thanks for the friendly welcomes and i’m sure i will be racking your brains very soon cheers grin

Hi All, been following the forums on this website religiously (mainly the Whistler ones) for quite a while now.  A friend and I will be heading over this year to work in Whistler through WHC.  I cant wait to go and I want to make sure I organise everything properly.  A bit stuck with Insurance, i’m hoping to go with World Nomads as mentioned in other threads, however the travel agent is trying to sell me Covermore because apparently some policies don’t cover you whilst your “working”.

Long story short does this mean if i’m over there on a Working Holiday Visa will a World Nomads policy not really suit me?  Thanks in advance!

I would be guessing what they mean is if you injure yourself whilst you are working you are not covered… but wouldn’t the resort cover you if you hurt yourself at work?

And if they don’t they hey if you blow your knee boarding from one lift to the next - how is your travel insurance going to know if you don’t tell them you were on the clock?

It was something i never worried about when i did my seasons - but maybe i should have! I am more concerned about them not covering you for skiing/boarding/ off piste etc…

I use http://www.travelinsurancedirect.com.au

just to throw a spanner in the works, I’d check out columbus direct as well.

Lachstock - 26 March 2012 02:49 AM

Hi All, been following the forums on this website religiously (mainly the Whistler ones) for quite a while now.  A friend and I will be heading over this year to work in Whistler through WHC.  I cant wait to go and I want to make sure I organise everything properly.  A bit stuck with Insurance, i’m hoping to go with World Nomads as mentioned in other threads, however the travel agent is trying to sell me Covermore because apparently some policies don’t cover you whilst your “working”.

Long story short does this mean if i’m over there on a Working Holiday Visa will a World Nomads policy not really suit me?  Thanks in advance!

Your travel agent does usually know best, and it’s usually in their interest to be honest as I don’t think they get paid/bonus’s based on what they sell. However, you can always email/call Nomads and ask them what they will/won’t cover - this will give you best best security in knowing you are covered.
At the same time, email and call to find out more from Covermore - they may offer better cover for the same price.

Thanks for the replies, ozgirl you make a good point. I’m looking into both those companies now smile

I would look at insurance companies that will pay if needed!!!!! With a well known underwriter!!!!! It may cost a couple more bucks, but if the time came, ya want a hassle free outcome!!!!! My 20 cents!!!!!

I would also register ya trip with Smart Traveller, incase anythin happens while ya over there!!!!!

Mizu do you have a hotkey for exclamation points? LOL