The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Bus shuttle vs hired 24 seat mini bus

Hi all,

Been a while since my last post…
Yeh winter’s coming and bring us a better snow…. cool grin

My boss (wife) has been organising a group of about 23 pax, All of us from Brisvegas
Booked Mountain Vista 4 chalet in Thrdebo on first week of Sept
This would be called “QLD deaf snow shred & slide”

At the stage we are planning to fly in Canberra and catch bus shuttle to Threddy.
But some of group rasied a suggestion if we hire 24 seat mini bus, they have a truck license and can drive a bus.
As they reckon it would be saved us more than going on bus shuttle. We haven’t check or quote a hire mini bus in Canberra.

Thought I post this one up and to see anyone answer on Pro/Con > Bus shuttle vs hired 24 seat mini bus

Don’t forget to calculate the cost of the nat park pass into the bus hire!!!!!

Thanks for point and will keep in my mind….

A couple more to think about!!!!!

* Insurance when traveling in the snow????? Do the hire company cover this????? What excess will have to be paid if there is a misshap????? Does everyone agree to pay their part of the excess if something does happen, regardless if it was seen as “reckless”?????
* Chains for the vehicle, will you have to hire????? How much, where do ya get the right size chains?????
* Parking in Thredbo????? Is there room at your accomodation????? Where do you overnight park if there is none at ya chalet????? Do Thredbo/Nar Park charge for this?????

Just pluckin some scenarios outta my head!!!!!

most covered by mizu
add petrol costs as well

though bonus of having your own vehicle you can go into town if you need to get supplies/eat out/go out on the town

Just thought of the food/drink supply one, but ya beat me to it, humdinga!!!!!

Not sure if the coaches will stop in Jindy long enough for ya to go shoppin in at Woolies?????

Does the Woolies in Jindy do an online delivery service to Threders?????

Mizu Kuma - 31 March 2012 11:01 PM

A couple more to think about!!!!!

* Insurance when traveling in the snow????? Do the hire company cover this????? What excess will have to be paid if there is a misshap????? Does everyone agree to pay their part of the excess if something does happen, regardless if it was seen as “reckless”?????
* Chains for the vehicle, will you have to hire????? How much, where do ya get the right size chains?????
* Parking in Thredbo????? Is there room at your accomodation????? Where do you overnight park if there is none at ya chalet????? Do Thredbo/Nar Park charge for this?????

Just pluckin some scenarios outta my head!!!!!

I supposed hire min bus including insurance yeh needs bond as well, will have to read fine prints if we decided to get hire mini bus.

In past trips we alway go in Sept after the peak and haven’t use the chain (touch wood) on this time

I know our chalet can accomodate a car only and I believe we could park mini bus on the long term parking near lake and Friday flat.

humdingaling - 01 April 2012 01:03 AM

though bonus of having your own vehicle you can go into town if you need to get supplies/eat out/go out on the town

Yeah I know this is advantage to have own car, you can go and get things what you wanted.
We done in past trips and this time we had enough of long distance driving from Brisvegas. So we decided to fly in Canberra for a change.

Mizu Kuma - 01 April 2012 01:38 AM

Just thought of the food/drink supply one, but ya beat me to it, humdinga!!!!!

Not sure if the coaches will stop in Jindy long enough for ya to go shoppin in at Woolies?????

Mizu Kuma - 01 April 2012 01:40 AM

Does the Woolies in Jindy do an online delivery service to Threders?????

This is our plan we fly in Canberra and get stock food/drink and put them in extra bag for bus shuttle.
Be honestly I haven’t check bus shuttle’s condition for limit baggage person, I reckon its worth to check.

About the chains silent, even in september you might encounter a late season dump, and by law you have to have chains whenever ya in the park!!!!!

Dont know bout NSW but in VIC if you want to drive a 24 seater in an Alpine Area, you need to have done a hazardous driving course at the snow.

^ Interesting and will find out more about it later on…
Thanks guys for your helps