The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

~ TRAVEL INSURANCE - Who to deal with, and who not to ~

If it is a tour then the company providing it would have to have their own PI insurance which would probably cover the bulk of any major rescue type event and then your travel insurance would probably be limited to your expenses…

edit: Mizu beat me to it

Having a qualified guide take you into the back country is pretty much a 1 day tour right?

I don’t get why this is a problem.

What aren’t you getting?

He doesn’t want to spend the significant $$$ on a guided tour when he has qualified guides riding with him.

But travel insurance won’t cover you so it’s either run the risk or go with the guided tour.

Yep, nailed it

Nope I think Mizu nailed it actually!

Same same

Thought this might be a better place to post than the Canada Mega Thread.

As I’m definitely doing 5-6 months in Whistler this upcoming season I’m looking at purchasing a long term travel insurance.

At this point in time I’m looking at almost 1 year, Oct 2015 to Sept 2016 with a couple of different providers mentioned in this thread. World Nomads, 1Cover and DU Insure (I believe 1Cover and DU Insure are both underwritten by Allianz).

I’m not sure if i should buy 1 year outright or 6 months then look at extending while i’m overseas?
Also i hear we may qualify for a local health insurance after 3 months, is this a good replacement or should i stick with the travel insurance?

Are you sure of 1 year? Cause you can extend but can’t retract.

I went with TID but didn’t claim. Most of them will be the same, take your money and fight you to the death if you try to claim lol.

TJswish - 03 May 2015 04:05 PM

Are you sure of 1 year? Cause you can extend but can’t retract.

I went with TID but didn’t claim. Most of them will be the same, take your money and fight you to the death if you try to claim lol.

Yea, definitely leaning towards the 6 month cover then extending if required.

I know what insurances are like with claiming, the main reason is for the medical/hospital cover. haha

Agreed. I had my snowboard stolen but the effort to claim was more than the few hundred it was worth… then I left it too long that I gave up lol.