The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler 2011 / 2012 Questions

Hey guys, I thought i’d just post here instead of starting a new post.

I’m heading over to whistler during the 11/12 winter to do a season there and have some question.

When is a good time to arrive at whistler to start looking for a job and accomodation?

I had a look on the WB website and they start conducting interviews for winter positions in late september and have their annual job fair (which hires mainly PT employers apparently) at the start of November. Since its going to be my first time there and I’m going alone, I thought it’d be a safe bet to get a job with the mountain.

My main question is: Is going in late September for those interviews too early as the season essentially starts in November 24th? i have to wait 2 months after i get there.

Thanks guys.

Arriving in September/October is definitely ideal especially if you want to attend the local job fair as this will be your best bet to getting a full time job working for the mountain. After the job fair they don’t advertise too many jobs and when they do I know with lift ops it generally isn’t until after the season has kicked off and people have left. Alternatively getting a job not working for the mountain will mean that you’ve got a better chance of starting work prior to the season kicking off which will help you get through those first few months without pitting too much of a dent in the savings. It’s not uncommon to see people who get there early party it up too much in the months leading up to the season blowing too much cash and having to head home early.

Same goes for accommodation as most seasonal rentals go from 1st November through until the 30th of April so you want to get in before that to lock down a room/place to live for the season. The later you leave it the more you’ll end up paying per month for rent. I’m going to start looking into finding a place to live in a few weeks time after I hear back from a mate as to whether he’ll be heading back. I’ve already been looking on craigslist to get an idea of what people are asking for rent this season so when a good place pops up we can jump on it straight away. It’ll definitely help if you can get some rental references from here as some people will only give you a shot if you’ve got one.

Hey dr86,

Stoked to hear you’re coming to Whistler! We will have to catch up for a shred when you’re over there. I take it you will be there for the entire season?

It’s never too early to start looking for accommodation in Whistler. Keep your eye on the Pique website: http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/ (Click ‘Classifieds’ then ‘Long Term Accommodation’).

Bookmark this page here and keep looking. Traditionally good long term accommodation isn’t easy to find in Whistler, although things are starting to change because the economy has slowed down. Either way, be prepared and keep your options open.

Of course you always have the option of working for the mountain and going into staff accommodation. Generally cheaper than anything you will find elsewhere and a great way to meet people. Not really my cup of tea but certainly an option you can look at. Info on staff housing here: http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/employment/residence/index.htm

In regards to getting a job, working for the mountain has its perks. Free season pass, discounted retail, half price food on the mountain, staff parties etc. There’s a bunch of different jobs you can do. I would definitely get there for the Job Fair. That’s where they will do most of their seasonal hiring. Honestly, I would get there some time in October if you can. It takes a while to get everything sorted i.e. SIN number, bank account, phone, getting settled in your accommodation etc. Not to mention there is so much to see and take in, having a few weeks up your sleeve is a big advantage.

Closer to the start of the season I will be starting the 2011/12 Whistler Community Blog here on the forums. It’s a place for all of us to help each other, organise meet-ups, and just share our adventures. There will be a bunch of Boardworld members in Whistler again this season. Check out the community blog thread from last season: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/1368/

Mate, feel free to start another thread if you have any specific questions about Whistler or we can keep chatting here. Let me know if you need any further information.

I decided to turn this into a new thread. We will be able to focus on it more and answer all questions.

As Jeremy said staff housing is a good cheap option that will keep the bank account happy but having done a season in there and another living outside of staff in a great townhouse I could never go back to staff housing. You have very little in the way of privacy and your own space unless you pay more and get your own room - however getting into a single room is near impossible unless you have a job sorted well in advance from my experience.

Although at the same time despite the cramped living conditions and shared laundry it is a great social scene, you’re living around hundreds of other people who all work for the mountain so you’ll meet a tonne of people which is great. My first season I went over by myself and had a blast, met a tonne of people and never had a shortage of people to go riding with. The other good thing about staff housing is your location - it’s actually located part of the way up Blackcomb so it’s proper ride in and out so as you can see there are a few perks of living there despite the negative points mentioned earlier.

Doing a season during the 11/12 Winter at Whistler! Working as a rental technician and was hoping to start in Staff Accomm then see if anything else pops up in terms of seasonal rentals.

I was hoping to by a new setup over in Vancouver before I arrive and was hoping someone could reccommend any good stores with decent prices?

Cheers

Hey ech, welcome to Boardworld.  cool smile

Is your job with Whistler Blackcomb or are you working for one of the independent stores?

If you’re working for the mountain, you’re probably better off waiting for your staff pass so you can get 25% off at Showcase Snowboards in Whistler (they have a store in Vancouver too).

If you’re working for an independent store, I’m sure your store will give you a good staff discount too. Either way it’s probably easier to wait till you’re in Whistler. There is no shortage of snowboard gear in the village, especially at the start of the season. When are you arriving?

Yeah I’ll echo jeremy’s point about buying in Whistler with staff discount which is how I’ve done it in the past. Even at the end of this season I went down to van with some friends and the sale prices in Van weren’t as good as the stores in Whistler and there isn’t really any markup on prices for boards/bindings/boots that I’ve noticed as compared to what you sometimes see here. Stores like Comor have shops down in Vancouver so if they don’t have your size in stock they can quite easily call the other store and have it sent up in a day or two.

p.s. awesome to see more people heading over for the season.. going to be a big crew this year cool smirk

thanks for all the advice guys. I’ll stick to my plan of heading there in late September and try land some sort of a job and accommodation. I think the decision for me will be easier once i get there.

We should definitely do some meetups when the season starts. I had a look at last seasons whistler blog in these forums and it looked like you guys had a blast!

No worries dr86, any other questions just throw them out there, there’s plenty of knowledge on Whistler here amongst us so we should be able to answer most questions for you.

Should also say that if you’re working as a rental tech the hours aren’t always guaranteed and during the quiet parts of the season so just make sure you budget well and don’t chew up the savings early on - I know it’s easy to say ‘yeah I can control myself’ but the nightlife and party scene in whistler can be pretty deadly to your bank account (I know this as during my first season I spent way too much going out all the time haha).

Yeah mate, meet-ups will happen regularly. Last season all my best riding and hang-out buddies were Boardworld members. It’s so good to have a solid crew of friends to go riding with and just enjoy the season together. There will be a bunch of us over there again and I would be stoked to meet anyone else coming over.

Plus it always helps to have local knowledge when exploring the mountains. There’s so much to see and do and I’m still learning new areas and exploring new terrain (this will be my fifth season over there).

If there’s anything else we can help you with, just let us know. smile

Nah my contract is with Whistler Blackcomb but I’m working in the rental store at the Four Seasons Resort! Haha Classy!
Cheers for the advice regarding buying gear. I think I’ll do what you sayd I take advantage of the staff discounts in the village. Apparently it’s unlikely jobs will start instantly which is good news! More time to sort out my gear and get used to it

At the end of last season nearly all the stores had a lot of snowboards left over. If you get there early enough you might be able to find some really good boards from last season at half price. I doubt they sold all of them over the summer.

EARLY BIRD SEASON PASSES ON SALE THROUGH TO OCTOBER 10

La Niña Forecast Expected to Bring Heavy Snowfall to Whistler Blackcomb This Winter

WHISTLER, BC, August 25, 2011 - The long-range weather forecast calling for another La Niña weather system has skiers and riders antsy for Winter 2011.2012. Early Bird Season Passes are now on sale. From now, through to October 10 an Unlimited Adult Season Pass is available for the Early Bird price of $1,429 - a savings of $300 – offering the best value for guests looking to ski/ride at Whistler Blackcomb.

“People are still talking about the amazing season we had last year and we’re excited to hear that Mother Nature may outdo herself yet again this year,” says Stuart Rempel, Senior Vice President of Marketing and Sales at Whistler Blackcomb. “The season pass is the best option for avid skiers and riders who want to take advantage of the incredible, terrain snow and maximize their season. Not to mention the added benefit of exclusive offers and discounts both in the village and on the mountain.”

An Early Bird Unlimited Senior’s Season Pass is available for $739, a savings of $176. An Early Bird Unlimited Youth (13-18) Season Pass is $649, saving guests $63. Meanwhile, an Unlimited Child (7-12) Season Pass is priced at $399, saving $110 before October 10.

Children six and under ski for free and families can receive a 10 per cent discount. More information is available online or by phone.

The Early Bird Unlimited Season Passes are on sale now until October 10 and can be purchased by visiting whistlerblackcomb.com/early or calling 1-866-218-9687. Official Opening Day is scheduled for November 24, 2011.

Unlimited Season Pass Holder Benefits Include:
·      20 per cent off at select on-mountain food and beverage locations
·      Save up to 20 per cent in Whistler Blackcomb retail stores
·      $50CAD off select Snow School programs
·      Fresh Tracks Mountaintop Breakfast ticket deals
·      $100CAD off Whistler Heli Skiing
·      Free PEAK 2 PEAK Alpine Experience sightseeing access for Summer 2012
** for offer details and more information visit whistlerblackcomb.com/early

Guests who purchase their Season Pass before October 10 can opt in for the following:
purchase a Whistler Blackcomb Gift Card valued at $500 for only $399
purchase 3-Bring-A-Friend Lift tickets for only $149 (valued at $288)
receive savings on Max 4 Snow School Lesson Pass and Memberships

New This Year
Guests purchasing their Adult Season Pass for the first time can upload their photo at the time of purchase online whistlerblackcomb.com/early and receive their pass in the mail.

rider26 - 26 August 2011 12:41 AM

At the end of last season nearly all the stores had a lot of snowboards left over. If you get there early enough you might be able to find some really good boards from last season at half price. I doubt they sold all of them over the summer.

I’m pretty sure that they’ll sell most of them at the Turkey sale - http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/todo/events/detail/turkey_sale/index.htm

If you’re in town at this point ech definitely try and make it to this. Otherwise wait until you’ve got your staff pass and then go to either showcase or comor and grab a 2012 board with your staff discount. They also do a pretty big christmas sale and you can grab a bargain at this point aswell.

Hey guys I have a question or two about whistler. First of all I am planing to leave sydney on the 27th dec and return 18th Jan. I want to stay in cheap accommodation, hostels/backpackers? However I am open to the Idea of sharing the cost of a house with my mates which I am meeting 4 days after I get there so that is a possibility too.  Can anyone help me with some reference websites?