The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler 2011 / 2012 Questions

Hey guys

New to Boardworld and I need your help!

Thought I’d add a reply on this thread rather than start a new one…

I’m flying to Vancouver on the 27th to do my first ever season in Whistler. I’ve just been offered a job by the Four Seasons Whistler as a ski concierge there and was wondering if you guys have any experience of this? I get all the usual perks that I would working for the Mountain (free lift pass, staff accommodation, free laundry etc) and the pay isn’t too bad $11.72 per hour plus tips).

I’m not sure if it’s the right move though…I was speaking to a guy a party last week and he’s been to Whistler about six times and recommended I go for a job with the Mountain. Also seeing some of the posts here it sounds like that’s the best way to meet people and have the best parties.

I’ve looked at the staff housing agreement from the Four Seasons and it looks quite strict (no visitors allowed at all!).

Can you guys advise at all? I aim to make it up to Whistler at the start of November for the job fair - do you think I’m better off going for a job with the Mountain or stick with the Four Seasons?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Snake

No harm in taking the job with the four seasons now and then ditching it later on if you get another job.

That pay rate is actually pretty good especially with tips on top - 1st year lifties only get $10.08 and no tips, 2nd year goes up to $10.72. Working for the mountain you’d probably be earning a touch less than that and wouldn’t be getting as good tips either.

Cheers finny, sound advice.

I’m coming at it from the social scene angle - you think it would be better for meeting people if I went with the Mountain or does it not really matter that much?

Money isn’t much of an issue for me - I just want to spend as much time on the mountain as possible!

I’ll definitely accept the job anyway and then see what the deal is with the job fair.

Hey Sanke,
hey mate its my first season too!
i wouldn’t worry abt working at the four season you will meet ppl that work from the mountain (like me) and end up partying with them too!!!
i don’t think you will miss out on much. I was hired by the mountain but am working as a rental tech at the four seasons too. Also thats a good pay rate ill be $10.08 an hour.
ill see ya over there!!!
Cheers Shaun

Hey Shaun

Thanks for the info buddy, that’s really reassuring smile

I’m so stoked about it now - when do you get to Whistler?

i get in on the 30th of nov and i start working in early december

From a social aspect you’ll meet tonnes of people no matter what job you’re in so I wouldn’t be too phased. Working as a ski butler you’ll definitely get a lot of time on snow as you’re not working a full day in that position like what i lifty would. Last season I was working 6:30am-5pm 4 days a week as a lifty to give you an idea. Food and bev jobs with the mountain you’ll generally be working 4-5 days a week and up to 6 in the really busy periods, room mate last season had this and got a bit frustrated with the lack of ride time he got at certain points in the season. I knew someone who did the ski butler thing in 08/09 and besides the rostered days off you get some days where you will work an afternoon etc so you’ll still get up the mountain in the mornings for a few hours and then head off to work in the afternoon which is a great position to be in.

Hey Snake, welcome to Boardworld. cool smile

I think that’s a decent deal with Four Seasons. You’ve got pretty much the same perks as WB staff plus free laundry (haha that’s awesome - can I drop off a load of washing sometime? wink).

In regards to the social scene, you’re going to meet so many people through other means. You’ll meet people working at Four Seasons, you’ll meet people by going out, there will be a big group of Boardworld members etc. Seriously, everyone knows everyone in Whistler. I wouldn’t give up a good job just for the social aspect.

Also, what job would you want to do for the mountain? Not all the jobs are great. To be honest, if I had a good opportunity to work in a good job and not be tied down to WB, I’d take it. Not working for WB also has it’s perks.

At the end of the day, you’re off to a great start. You already have a guaranteed job and you’re not even there yet. Keep your options open; if something great comes along, of course consider it.

Best advice I can give you, make sure you catch up with us when you get over there. Come out for the start of season Boardworld dinner and meet the crew. You’ll have a great circle of friends and we’ll show you around the mountain.

It’s going to be a great season. See you over there, mate! shaka

Cheers guys, thanks for making me feel so welcome smile

All these posts have totally reassured me and I feel like I’m doing the right thing - I just don’t want to miss out on anything while I’m there!

In the interview the guy from the Four Seasons said they want their Ski Conciege to get as much time on the mountain as possible and schedule the shifts to make sure this happens - so it sounds like a pretty sweet deal!

Definitely up for joining the Boardworld get together, will keep checking back on this thread for details.

Two weeks til I fly!

PS - I’ll make sure there’s free laundry for all!

No worries, mate. smile

Make sure you keep an eye on this thread: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/3476/