The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler 2011 / 2012 Questions

http://whistler.en.craigslist.ca/

Check out craigslist - won’t be much use just yet but closer to the date you’ll have a good chance of finding a place for a month at a lower rate than what you’d pay if you were to stay at a hostel/backpackers.

Hey guys i’m new here i’m too thinking of doing a season in whistler this summer.

A couple of questions have i left it too late? What would be the best time to head over to get a job at the local job fair.

I’m thinking of heading Early-Mid october just to make sure i get an employment position. Any tips etc are appreciated.

Jake.

redjames - 29 August 2011 09:14 AM

Hey guys I have a question or two about whistler. First of all I am planing to leave sydney on the 27th dec and return 18th Jan. I want to stay in cheap accommodation, hostels/backpackers? However I am open to the Idea of sharing the cost of a house with my mates which I am meeting 4 days after I get there so that is a possibility too.  Can anyone help me with some reference websites?

You’re better off renting a house to share with your mates, if you can find one. It shouldn’t be too difficult getting in with one of the hostels if you can’t find a house. Best advice I can give you is keep your options open.

I would also have a look at the short term accommodation listings here.

It might also be worthwhile putting in a seeking accommodation ad here.

Best of luck with your search, mate.

jt252 - 29 August 2011 01:01 PM

Hey guys i’m new here i’m too thinking of doing a season in whistler this summer.

A couple of questions have i left it too late? What would be the best time to head over to get a job at the local job fair.

I’m thinking of heading Early-Mid october just to make sure i get an employment position. Any tips etc are appreciated.

Jake.

Welcome to Boardworld, Jake.  cool smile

It’s certainly not too late. Make sure you get there this season, it will be one of the best decisions you will ever make.

It’s never too early to start looking for accommodation. Long term accommodation listings are posted here. Keep checking that page, load up some Skype credit, and call as soon as they get listed. Have your references sorted because landlords will want to see them.

You always have the option of going into staff housing if you work for Whistler Blackcomb. It’s generally cheaper than anyother accommodation. You will meet a lot of people that way. Info on staff housing here: http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/employment/residence/index.htm

Working for the mountain has its perks. Free season pass, discounted retail, half price food on the mountain, staff parties etc. Make sure you get there for the Job Fair. That’s where they will do most of their seasonal hiring. Mid October should be OK, just don’t leave it too much later than that. It takes a while to get everything sorted i.e. SIN number, bank account, phone etc.

Closer to the start of the season I will be starting the 2011/12 Whistler Community Blog here on the forums. It’s a place for all of us to help each other, organise meet-ups, and just share our adventures. There will be a bunch of Boardworld members in Whistler again this season. Check out the community blog thread from last season: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/1368/

Jake, if you have any specific questions please let us know and we will be happy to help.

jt252 - 29 August 2011 01:01 PM

Jake.

Have a read over both mine and rider’s responses on the first page - we’ve covered most of your questions there.

Basic answer is that you should be fine getting there early-mid October. Dan83 did this last year and had no issues with finding a place to live but due to the fact that he was only after part time work and not full time he struggled with jobs. From what I’ve seen you’re better off going for full time employment at the start of the season as it’ll help you get a spirit pass (http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/tickets/seasonpass/spirit/index.htm) and you should be able to cut down on shifts after the Christmas period anyway. Even working full time a lot of the retail shops in town are open from 10am-8pm so if you have a late start you can still get up the hill for a few hours before you have to go to work.

Should also add that http://www.expedia.com.au is your best bet for cheap flights. They do say that you can’t change dates due to the low prices but if you call the airline direct you can easily change the dates. I changed my return flight last season and it cost $150CAD. Also look to book a flight leaving here midweek and you’ll save yourself a few hundred dollars. I’ve been keeping an eye on certain dates and have seen that the Thursday flight is $100 more expensive than the Wednesday Flight which is around $1800 return for direct flights with Air Canada which will avoid a stopover in the US.

Probably worth mentioning, if you work for Whistler Blackcomb you get a free season pass and won’t need to purchase a Spirit Pass. The Spirit Pass is if you work for another business in Whistler, not owned by Whistler Blackcomb.

Thanks for the reply’s guys very encouraging.

A lot of threads that i have read are saying that most of the full time positions are going to be filled before the job fair is this true or just rumor to scare off competition?

Is there many places to crash in whistler very last minute or do the hostels tend to fill up in advance?

I don’t think that’s entirely true. It really depends what job you’re going for. Instructors for example, yes most of the hiring will be done well before the job fair. Management positions will also be filled etc. However, most of the normal seasonal job hiring will be done at the job fair. I know lots of people who picked up their full time jobs for the mountain at the job fair. To be honest, I have never heard of someone not getting a job at the job fair. Have all your documents sorted (criminal record check, resume etc.), look presentable, and you shouldn’t have any worries at all.

If you’re worried, keep an eye on this page here: http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/employment/jobs/index.htm (also click the ‘JOB FAIRS’ tab).

Job opportunities are also posted here: https://secure.whistlerblackcomb.com/ats/currentjobs.aspx

In regards to the hostels, it’s probably a safe call to have something booked till November 1st. That’s most likely when your lease will commence. I haven’t stayed in a hostel myself, but I’m assuming they are fairly busy at the start of the season while people look for jobs and accommodation. Play it safe and keep your options open.

There is a job for an IT Co-ordinator… which is pretty much my current job. I would really want to go but don’t really want to quit and leave Australia lol.

Yeah my mate has seen that job advertised and has been debating whether or not to resign and head over there aswell raspberry

Figured I’d also throw this link up aswell.

http://www.pacificcoach.com/Bus-Coach-Travel/YVR-Whistler-Skylynx/YVR-to-Whistler

Pacific Coach are who I’ve used the past couple of times getting to and from Vancouver airport up to Whistler. They also do pickup and drop off from downtown on the way through so if you’re planning on spending some time in Vancouver before heading up you can still use them. Also once you’re in Whistler and looking to head back you can get a locals discount when booking through the information centre in Whistler (just need proof of residence ie. rental agreement, mail with your local address on it etc).

As for most full time jobs being already taken - OWH do take a fair few of the jobs but there are always positions left over and people who leave early on in the season because it’s not what they expected. Just have plenty of resume’s ready and don’t be afraid to drop them in all over the place. A lot of local jobs are spread by word of mouth and with shops just putting up a sign in the window. Getting there early like you’ve planned will give you a shot at these with the people leaving after summer.

TJswish - 30 August 2011 02:08 AM

There is a job for an IT Co-ordinator… which is pretty much my current job. I would really want to go but don’t really want to quit and leave Australia lol.

Do it!  angry

As above..

rider26 - 30 August 2011 02:34 AM
TJswish - 30 August 2011 02:08 AM

Do it!  angry

Yeah you wont regret it. As the saying goes better to regret things you have done than things you haven’t.

I wish I had stayed in Canada for winter but for various reasons had to come home.

If your awesome enough your work will be begging you to come back (if you even wanna after being a world traveller wink )

Hello you all!

I would like to tune in on this forum because I’ll be headding up to Whistler also for this winter season woot woot!

I’m 24 and from Belgium. Did a winter season before in Val Thorens (France) and I’m looking forward now to experience some real canadian powder snow! :p

I’ll be arriving on the 5th of november.. As suggested on this forum that is rather late but I hope/think it will turn out fine.

I got my visa and plane ticket and now taking up the challenge to find a place to call ‘home’ and a job.

Wish me luck and I hope to meet you all out there! :p

Greetings NJoY