The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

WHISTLER 2010/11 - The Community Blog

Welcome to the WHISTLER 2010/11 Community Blog!

I will be blogging all season long; you can expect stories, photos, videos, details of events, and meetups. Basically I will be documenting my season in this thread to the best of my ability. I will also post advice, tips, and tricks, to help anyone coming over to Whister in future seasons. Please feel free to ask any questions!

I strongly encourage others in Whistler to blog in this thread also. Please comment, post stories about your epic powder days, post photos and videos, or anything you want. This thread is here for everyone, so please get involved and share the stoke!  grin

The start of the season is rapidly approaching; the snow line is creeping down the mountain and the alpine is getting deeper. Opening day is scheduled for November 25, however I have heard rumours of an earlier opening date if the snowfalls continue.

Who’s already in Whistler? Where are you working? Who’s coming over during the season?

I hope to meet you all during the season and I look forward to hearing about your adventures!

HAVE FUN, BE SAFE, AND BRING ON THE SNOW!  cool grin

There is already 68cm of snow in the alpine and approximately 100cm at the summit.

Photos from yesterday (November 8th)...

surprised look at all that smooth white stuff!

LOL ok that did sound bad

I’ll be sure to add as much to here as I can jeremy grin

feel free to use me as the boardworld guinea pig throughout the season raspberry

Hey everyone,

Im in Vancouver all season. Anyone stopping by for afew days or longer on their way to whistler hit me up…. Im working at The Boardroom! Give me a PM or sumthing…

Mark

Hey Mark,

Do you know Ian Stevenson? I think he said he was working there.

Hit me up when you come to Whistler for a shred - 604 906 2683 or jeremy(at)boardworld.com.au

Whistler mountain is officially opening early - November 19th! grin

“Few things get skiers and riders more excited than the words “early opening,” which is why Whistler Blackcomb is thrilled to announce that Whistler Mountain will open six days early, on Friday, November 19. Blackcomb Mountain will open on Thursday, November 25, Whistler Blackcomb’s official opening day.”

What’s Open

Whistler Mountain To Open Early - Friday November 19 For Daily Operations

Blackcomb Mountain Opening Thursday November 25, 2010

Winter Wonderland awaits; La Nina and incredible snowmaking infrastructure deliver early start to the season at Whistler Blackcomb
Few things get skiers and riders more excited than the words “early opening,” which is why Whistler Blackcomb is thrilled to announce that Whistler Mountain will open six days early, on Friday, November 19. Blackcomb Mountain will open on Thursday, November 25, Whistler Blackcomb’s official opening day.

“New snow and low freezing levels, along with the hard work of our mountain operations, grooming, and snowmaking teams mean we can open Whistler Mountain on Friday, November 19,” says Doug MacFarlane, mountain manager at Whistler Blackcomb.

“Though early season conditions will apply, having those first few turns of the season is a great feeling and we’re happy to make that happen for our guests six days earlier than planned.”

Whistler Mountain will open on Friday, November 19 at 8:30am. Lift and terrain details will be announced early next week. Early season conditions apply and caution should be exercised at all times as the terrain that will be available is best-suited for intermediate to advanced riders and skiers. With early season conditions it is extra important all mountain signage is obeyed and guests stay within the marked operational boundary. The signage and rope to look for will say “Temporary Boundary” during the early season. With early season snow-pack, guests should be aware of rocks and other hazards below the snow surface.

Awesome!! Only 5 days…

snow in the village!!!!!

Such a nice surprise! This is what we woke up to this morning…

So stoked its snowing!!! i drove in the slush snow for the first time today and it went well. anyone got any tips for driving in the snow/ice for when its really slippery?

Awesome. thanks bud

Opening day tomorrow!!!!

Big queues at Emerald today…