The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

New Zealand 2011

Hey I just wanted to start a thread about the New Zealand snow season. Maybe get something happening like the Whistler community blog? Basically anything about NZ snow fields is welcome in this thread.  You can tell us where you are going, post pictures or just go on about NZ. It will be helpful to first timers wanting to travel overseas to the snow. I am basically hitting cadrona, remarks and coronet around mid July to early August.

The weather has not been to good in NZ atm. Spring like conditions have been haunting the snow fields and keeping fields like Mt Hutt and Coronet peak from opening on their scheduled opening dates. Colder weather and snow is coming, The Remarkables have recorded 5cm of new snow today and snow is forecast for coronet tonight.

Its snowing in Remarkables atm

Hey Redjames. I’m going for two weeks (July 22nd-August 6). Sharing a house in Wanaka with a bunch of friends. Will mostly be riding Snow Park and Cardona but will probably give Treble Cone a go and maybe make the drive for a day or two at the remarks.

Yep not so good a start to the season there but even if it isn’t great, I’m not that fussed. Snow Park can run on 100% man made snow and I would be perfectly happy to spend two weeks riding there every day!

well I have just had a look at the Remarkables snow forecast page and there is a storm coming next wednesday which looks promising. Basically for the next three days there is a bit of snow, but really just a sprinkle.

I will be mainly at remarks, but want to go to Cardrona and possibly Treble Cone.

after a massive dump the drive int snow park is fun. well the drive is easy, getting into the carpark isnt, i pulled up in my corolla to find 3 full 4wd spec cruisers ripping doughies in the almost knee deep mud. dicks, i took a run up and floored the corolla through it. just made it haaha

we’ve got two subaru AWD’s as our hire cars this year - so we should be sweet!

cords - 10 June 2011 08:34 AM

we’ve got two subaru AWD’s as our hire cars this year - so we should be sweet!

Did they specify what kind? They get a lot of grey market hire cars (from Japan I think) over there. I had a new Subaru Impreza AWD in NZ last year, and was surprised to find it was only a 1.5 litre. It was really gutless when it came to hill climbing, which is when you need you car the most in NZ.

Its a Legacy. Can’t be worse than the piece of junk toyota we had last year…and it still made it up the hill somehow.

What is going on with NZ, it is not looking good atm

nope its pretty dodgy so far, hey….Still they’ve got 5 weeks to get going…also, snow park can run 100% on man made snow so I’ll be fine regardless grin

yeah I may have to go to snow park if things keep going like this

We are heading over in September.

Based in Wanaka for a week Yeeewwwwwwwwwww shaka

my mate heads over in like 4 weeks…not looking too good so far!

Hey guys just an update of whats happening in the Queenstown area. The Remarkables have got their snow makers going as of today at lunch time. With little snow on the ground the weather will have to stay very cold for the snow makers to continue to build a base that is ridable. The next 6 days looks like it is going to stay cold, however not much snow is in the forecast.

Coronet peak still looks shocking, and have not really had their snow guns going at all this year. Hopefully there is a snow storm brewing.

Snow park is much the same as the Remarkables, there is snow being made but they could really do with a nice dump of snow.

Hey guys,

Remarkables for next week, all you people heading to Queenstown in July should be all sweet if this actually happens

Friends heading over tomorrow…...... fingers crossed they get the goods.