The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

New Zealand 2011

niiiiiiiiiice.

f*#k i love snow park. so damn fun

snow park is the best place in the whole world! Got home today, had a freakin awesome trip. Fun days at remarks, cardrona and especially snow park. TC was ok but not great. Got to watch Seb Toots, antti autti, torstein and gjermund braten ride with my own eyes which was so EPIC!

NZ snow trip July/August 2011
24th july: My fellow snowboarders and I flew into Christchurch only to find out that snow was in the forecast to sea level and to walk outside into a bitter day time temprature of 0*c. Over night the snow began to fall and quite heavily too and it was freezing!

The next day our flight was cancelled to Queenstown. With nothing else to do in Christchurch, but to wait we got accomodation ten minutes away from the airport at a holiday park. This picture is a view from our room.

After staying in christchurch for the night, we then went back to the airport to get our flight early in the morning. This flight was also cancelled due to snow in Christchurch and in Queenstown. We were all really getting tired of this so we decided to hire a car and drive to Methven and have a slide at Mt Hutt. When we got to Mt Hutt the snow field had closed half an hour before we got there due to high wind which was really annoying. We could not believe the amount of bad luck we were getting.

The next day we finally got on our flight to Queenstown and could not wait to get shredding. The first day of snowboarding we went to Coronet Peak AKA Concrete Peak. The snow there is always icy and hard packed unless you get there after a big dump of snow.

The second day we went to The Remarkables, which is personally my favorite snow field in that area of NZ. This was the first day that I got into the park where I rode boxes and some jump lines. I also boardslided this spine feature where I wrecked my knees.

The next day we went to Cadrona where me and my mate did some backcountry and a bit of park. This was after about 15 cm of fresh snow so the back country was nice and deep. I wouldnt say it was powder because it was deep and a little heavy.

The rest of the time in Queenstown we went to Remarkables and just concentrated on park riding. I mainly stuck to the beginners park.
All in all it was a bit of a bad holiday, however we did get some time to ride eventually and will definatly be heading to NZ for at least three weeks next season

Cool TR red!!!!! Shame ya had some shitty weather, but beats stayin home any day!!!!!

Love the 4th last pic, the one of the mountains!!!!! Wicked shot!!!!!  shaka

Ohh, Don’t forget to whack up a link to this page in the TR comp thread!!!!!

haha some of those lines behind you in the 4th pic after you said you got freshies at cardrona are mine! hahaha so funny to see a pic. I was the 2nd person down that bit behind you but it didn’t stay clear for long!

Going to Christchurch for r the first time in early sept and was thinking of goin up to Mt Hutt/Selwyn…

Anyone have any suggestions/advice?  Not planning on gong to Queenstown at this stage as I only have a few days.

PS. Does anyone know if can you check a snowboard in as luggage if your other bags are hand luggage?

Yeah it was tracked heaps, however me and my mate tracked it out and after that it froze over and just got really hard to ride.
I never got to snowboard mt hutt, however with luggage you can check in a snowboard with air nz/jetstar as long as its your only piece of luggage

Little Frog LOVE your avatar!

littlefrog - 24 August 2011 05:33 AM

Going to Christchurch for r the first time in early sept and was thinking of goin up to Mt Hutt/Selwyn…

Anyone have any suggestions/advice?  Not planning on gong to Queenstown at this stage as I only have a few days.

PS. Does anyone know if can you check a snowboard in as luggage if your other bags are hand luggage?

Umm…

1. Selwyn is in NSW…
2. Mt Hutt is closest to Christchurch but is very suspect-able to wind issues
3. You can split your luggage in half with most aircraft carriers, a snowboard bag generally counts as 10kg of your luggage no matter how much it weighs. Pack that baby full!
4. Christchurch is pretty avg holiday destination. We got through everything in like a day…

1. Selwyn is in NSW..

Doh!! My geography is not so good… red face

Flying JEtstar so Yaaayyyyy!!! on the luggage front!!

Thanks Ozgirl!! shaka

PS. Wait! hang on there is a Selwyn in NZ!!!:

http://www.christchurchnz.com/plan-your-visit/ski-areas-in-canterbury/sensational-selwyn.aspx

Well Well, so there is… but it’s the name of the region, not the snowfield smile

http://www.skiporters.co.nz/the-mountain/trails-and-lifts/

Looks decent for a day trip.

EDIT: They are T-Bar only mountains… Make sure you can T-Bar before you go lol.

Hahahahahaa!!!!! What a TJ!!!!!

And what is “suspect-able”, swishy???? Do ya mean “susceptible”????

haha SNAP, mizu!

LOL  LOL  LOL

Not too bad on a T-Bar (spent most of my board- time at Baw Baw thus far).

Some of the smaller snowfields not looking too bad (Porters, Dobsons, Ohau)

Has anyone been to any of them?

littlefrog - 24 August 2011 11:46 PM

Some of the smaller snowfields not looking too bad (Porters, Dobsons, Ohau)

Has anyone been to any of them?

Yup.

You say you only have a few days? Perfect for a ‘Mackenzie Run’: Dobson, Ohau and Round Hill. It’s the quintessential NZ snowboard trip experience - the ‘challenging’ driving, the breathtaking scenery, the awesome locals, and of course the incredible snow and terrain. I can"t say enough hood things about Ohau especially - I LOVE the place!