The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler 2016/17

I too didn’t get any further with my application through WB @sazvegas, gutted! Fingers crossed you will find something at the Oct job fair if you’ve got a load of bar experience though.

Have you had any update on your application @Cod_?

Regarding SIN applications, does anyone know if the Visitor Centre in Whistler can process your application?

Thanks and hopefully bump into you lot soon!  shaka

That plan sounds good to me, @readyforsomesnow! It will give you a bit of time to get a few things sorted in the city with a bit of sightseeing time. See you when you get here! shaka

@Jihnzo, it actually looks like you can apply for your SIN number in Whistler, however, there are only certain days and times you can do so. Click here. It could get quite busy during those peak times. Do you have any time in Vancouver before coming to Whistler? Either way, it looks like you should be able to do it, and there is always Squamish as an option as well.

readyforsomesnow - 02 September 2016 11:55 AM

Hey guys!

I realized I haven’t actually posted in a while so I thought I’d make an appearance smile

I’m planning on booking my flights within the next few days for the 23rd Oct, and am thinking of booking three nights accom in Van and then booking a week in whistler. @rider26 is this a good plan?  smile
Hopefully that should be enough so that I can head to the job fair and then get into staffies!

Then it’s just a matter of booking in my travel insurance and I’m pretty much set! Bar the mini things left to do eg tell my bank I’m going so they don’t think that I’m being hacked from some random person in Canada joy

Anyways getting super pumped, still doesn’t feel real yet. I’m sure it will once everything is booked. Stoked to see so many of you are headed out this season, looks like we’ll all be having a good dinner out together!  rocker

Nice one! That’s exactly like my plan, leave Sydney on the 23rd and head to Whistler on the Wednesday

Jihnzo - 04 September 2016 09:58 PM

Have you had any update on your application @Cod_?

Yeah, eventually got an email back saying they had a shortlist for interviews, which I didn’t make. I’ll give the one in October a shot.

One more week until I fly out to Vancouver. Getting excited now.  dance

@Cod_ Ah that’s a shame. Good luck for the job fair though! 4 weeks today for me wah

@rider26 Was planning to head straight to Whistler as soon as I land, however seems like a couple days in Vancouver to sort bits and bobs out might be a tad easier!

For those of you looking for bar work, these positions were advertised in this week’s Pique.

Jihnzo - 06 September 2016 04:41 AM

@rider26 Was planning to head straight to Whistler as soon as I land, however seems like a couple days in Vancouver to sort bits and bobs out might be a tad easier!

Probably a good idea and it’s a good chance to see the city. It’s also a good idea to stock up on some supplies as everything is more expensive in Whistler. There are worse places to spend a couple of days. wink

Bar work in Whistler? I’d almost apply and go there…

Has anyone from Aus had any luck finding decent insurance ? No one seems to cover Off Piste

Cheers

Fast cover seems to be the one with the best options but is slightly more expensive.

Here is what I think I’ll be getting:

Yeah, I went with fast cover. Got a 1 year comprehensive policy for around $1200

Posting in here under that assumption it will be most visible for these questions…

Has anyone done a visa application recently and can give an indication on current wait times?
Had a friend recently decide to join me in Fernie for the season.

Follow up for the experienced ones…
What is the feasibility of entering the country on a tourist visa whilst waiting for working holiday visa to come through?
Pretty sure I’ve heard of it being done before but can’t remember if people had good or bad experiences.
Any advice would be helpful.

Few of the girls here recently got on it and it didn’t take too long. I’d be getting them to be on it today and they might have it some time in October. As with all Canadian applications, it can be 2 weeks or it can be 10 weeks depending whose pile of apps it lands in it seems.

You can definitely enter on a tourist visa but then transferring it to a full visa might be an issue. Honestly I would fly into Vancouver Airport to do visa stuff just because they do so many they often don’t go crazy looking at all the fine print stuff (like bank balance, travel insurance, fly home date etc.) You could always drive over the border and back but those guys seem a lot stricter and I don’t know the rules for it (need to leave for a certain period etc).

Cheers TJ

Invitation to apply came back overnight so now just waiting on the AFP check before submitting the whole thing.

Planning on flying into Calgary so I thought might need to do the boarder run if it doesn’t come through in time.
I was hoping for a little more positive answer from what I had heard but that’s all good to know!

That invitation is normally the longest part so there mustn’t be very many applicants right now.

Honestly unless he is planning on going early October, I wouldn’t stress too much on getting it back. It’s like 8 weeks till I fly and even if he wanted to make the job fair, still 5 weeks to get to Fernie.