The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler 2016/17

Hey guys,

Me and my partner are coming from the uk to Canada on the 2nd oct. And hopefully be in whistler by the end of that week. ( would have wanted to come earlier but work issues). I’m super excited and nervous but hey ho doing it anyways. We don’t have anything set up job or acommodation. But I have read up a lot.
I’ve been looking at accommodation on fb and on sites like rideon but prices seem to vary, does anyone on here know a kid of average price for a couple/shared room? I don’t mind where I live as long as I can at least get a bus. I’ve been living in London so rent seems cheap as chips in whistler in comparison, but I would still rather pay the least amount possible.

Dankeshun everybody!

Welcome to Boardworld, @Luds!

As you’ve noticed, prices will vary. Some places are reasonable, others are very expensive. Your best gauge on current pricing would be this group on Facebook. I can safely say pricing will go up during winter, and availability will become less. Everyone is in the same boat… searching for something reasonable at a reasonable price. My best advice to you is to be ready to hustle when you get here. It takes a bit of work and effort, but if you are persistent, more often than not it seems to work out.

Sorry I can’t provide anything more specific for you. If you let us know exactly the type of accommodation you’re looking for (shared house, private house etc.), I might have a better idea of how much it would cost.

Thanks for the reply @rider26  most helpful admin of them all.
I’m looking for probably shared housing and a room for two people. Though I’m cool with buddying up with people for a house.  I’m pretty used to a accommodation hustle after going to uni in a small town and jumping from room to room in London so hopefully I can tackle the whistler hustle. I just don’t want to think somethings a good deal when It actually is not compared to an average price of a room for two their.

Given that staff accommodation has now given first season full staff priority, what are the chances of first season staff getting staff accommodation? Or do you still need to be prepared to find accommodation off mountain? (Like is it also possible you won’t get a full time position to qualify?)

With priority you’ll almost definitely get a room. It will likely be shared though. (most staff rooms are)

@Luds, your best bet is following the Facebook group I linked earlier. The rental market is quite expensive at the moment, and prices will vary depending on the type of house etc. I’m guessing around $1000/month for a couple in their own room in a shared house is reasonable, give or take a little. Keep an eye on the Facebook group, especially as we get closer to winter.

@HHHsnow, I’d say your chances are very good if you secure full-time work with Whistler Blackcomb. They definitely do their best to look after first-year staff.

Thanks @TJswish and @rider26 ! You guys are awesome.

Booked my flight today, November 5th!!

Regarding the job fair in Van for Whistler Blackcomb, a friend that I applied with got an email today saying he won’t be considered for an interview. I have yet to receive an email either way, however this does tear a hole in our preference for staff accommodation.

Pretty disheartening as this means accommodation and employment (accommodation more so) are a bit up in the air, potentially jeopardizing the whole season.

Does actually being in Whistler early provide any advantage to finding accommodation?

I can see that the Facebook page is pretty hectic with people looking for accom, however if we were to arrive in September, would there be many rentals that are solely advertised locally, meaning we’d have a better chance at applying than we would over Facebook?

Did he receive any feedback as to why this was the case? He should probably try to find out so he can avoid the same result at the next job fair. I’m guessing there was an underlying reason that would be worth finding out.

Being here early definitely helps with accommodation but it’s still no guarantee. Honestly, these days most of the accommodation seems to be listed on Facebook. The old resources I used to use like the Pique Magazine don’t seem to have nearly as many listings anymore. I feel it has just gone the way of social media, meaning landlords have lots of demand and are in control of the situation, which doesn’t really translate well for those looking for somewhere to live.

The hustle game is important. Being on the ground here is a key advantage. If you’re serious about getting your own accommodation, it’s pretty much essential to get here early.

I hope this helps somewhat.

rider26 - 19 August 2016 02:00 PM

Did he receive any feedback as to why this was the case?

Not really, the email just mentioned that had shortlisted candidates for an interview and unfortunately not all candidates can be considered.

If I had to guess though, I’d say his limited experience in previous employment probably factored into it.

He should probably try to find out so he can avoid the same result at the next job fair.

The next one being the one at Whistler? Forgot about that one.

The hustle game is important. Being on the ground here is a key advantage.

I wonder if I’m right in thinking that the majority of people replying to the advertisements on the Facebook page are already in or around Whistler at the time they apply? I just got to thinking that, although it is starting to pick up, that it only makes sense that rooms would go to people who actually have the capability to check out the place first.

If you’re serious about getting your own accommodation, it’s pretty much essential to get here early.

I sort of guessed that from the start, which is why I’m arriving in September, I just hope that’s early enough.

Cheers dude! Your knowledge and assistance is much appreciated.

Hey Legends!

After stalking these forums since the start of the year I thought I’d finally chime in and get involved! My name is Alex, I’m from Bris and I’m heading over in about a month for the 2016/17 season (Yew!).

First off I just read through this whole thread and cannot thank all you boys (especially you @rider26 and the other admins) for all your time and knowledge - has not gone unappreciated! Definite rounds on me in Whis!

I do seem to find myself in a unique position in this group as I did make the call to go through THWC and have secured a job for the season as well as a bed in staffies - so any questions around any of these things please let me know and Ill be happy to help!

I also happen to be a Travel Agent currently, so any questions around Flights, Flex fares/date changes, visas or travel insurance again let me know!

Finally a super helpful resource I found was the “Whistler HR” app from the app store. Its pretty basic but has plenty of general WB job info, HOUSE/Staff accommodation info (eg room rates in different locations) along with some helpful tips for getting yourself set up with SIN/Banks/phone plans etc!

Thanks again boys and I look forward to seeing you all up the hill!

Hey @Cod_,

Yeah, the next one is in Whistler and that’s the big one. I’d say that’s where they do most of their hiring. Tell your buddy to get prepared and put his best foot forward.

I would say it’s almost impossible to secure one of the Facebook properties without actually being here. Early bird gets the worm, and if you’re on the ground you can get to inspections early and seal the deal.

Welcome to Boardworld, @Consideritdunn! No worries at all, man! ?

Stoked to hear you’re all sorted. Let’s definitely catch up when you get here. We usually have a start of the season dinner with all the Boardworld crew. Actually, you can count on it happening. ?

See you in Whistler, Alex! ?

Hey everyone!

I’m Sarah- thought I’d join the conversation as I’m heading to Whistler at the end of September grin 
This forum has been super helpful, thanks for all the advice, especially @rider26!

I got back from 2 years in Sydney at Christmas and have been manically saving since I got home to London. Leaving in 3 weeks so getting excited/nervous now!

I was also hoping to attend the Vancouver job fair but got the same email as your friend last week that I wasn’t successful @Cod_  I was pretty disappointed as I’d had a phone screening and I’ve got quite a lot of bar/restaurant experience so was a bit paranoid why I wasn’t selected! I gave WB recruitment a call though and one of the guys went through my application and said it looked all good. Apparently they had an extra large amount of applications this time and only really limited spots, so he said that would have been the only reason I couldn’t attend, and to definitely apply again for October.

Apparently the October fair is when they recruit for most of their bar and restaurant jobs so hopefully I’ll be lucky next time around. Fingers crossed! I hope that puts anyone’s minds at rest who wasn’t selected, but as Rider26 said, definitely give them a call to check if there’s a specific reason, they were super nice when I called.

I’ve decide to (try) not worry too much and just turn up as early as possible and see what I can find, it’s always so much easier when you’re there rather than trying to apply for things from the other side of the world cheese

Unlike most of you I’m not an experienced skier/snowboarder so I’m hoping I can pick it up and be a pro by the end of the season LOL

Anyway hope to catch you guys all later this year! thumbsup