The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler 2016/17

Welcome to Boardworld, @sazvegas! See you over here next month! shaka

I’ve decide to (try) not worry too much and just turn up as early as possible and see what I can find, it’s always so much easier when you’re there rather than trying to apply for things from the other side of the world cheese

That’s a great attitude to have. ?

Unlike most of you I’m not an experienced skier/snowboarder so I’m hoping I can pick it up and be a pro by the end of the season LOL

Well, you’re coming to the right place to learn. Just get out there, have fun, and I have no doubt you’ll surprise yourself by how much you can progress in a season. I’m sure once the season starts one or more of us will give you some instruction on the mountain. Definitely come along to one of our shred days.

@Consideritdunn,

Hey mate,

I’m planning on booking my flight back to Canada for the season. If I find some flights and you want to get the commission etc, let me know. I don’t know any travel agents any more so someone may as well get an easy booking!

TJ

@sazvegas,

Good job with the call. It does sound like the Vancouver job fair in September might be more finding people who start early like snowmakers or mechanics or something like that and most jobs go in October.

Worst that happens and you don’t get a job in October, you can apply around the mountain (I’m sure someone with experience will get hired somewhere) and you can always bail on Whistler and go somewhere else if it’s not working out as planned. Most mountains have some jobs if you’re really keen smile

Hey guys, I’ll be heading over for the season as well.

Anyone else land a job as a repair tech for blackcomb? Or has anyone had a job as a repair tech so I know what to expect?

Hi! I’m doing a season in Whistler this year and have ventured over from little ol New Zealand! I’ve been trolling the Internet for months looking for a forum exactly like this and have only just stumbled upon it so had to sign up! So stoked as i arrived in Vancouver yesterday and head to Whistler tomorrow! dance

Everything on here is sooooo helpful!! Thankyou so much!

One question regarding banks.. Should I sign up here in Vancouver or wait till I get to Whistler??

Doesn’t really matter. Just make sure you know where you’re staying. If it’s the main area, sign up with TD, CIBC or RBC if it’s Creekside, sign up with Scotiabank.

Do you know where you’ll be working yet @Tort

Sweeeet Thankyou! Sounds good! @TJswish I’ve got an interview at the Vancouver job fair on the 12th so hopefully find out more then

In that case, I’d wait to see what the options are and then base your bank choice on that. Or just apply with a bank and then once you move to Whistler you can just sign up to a second bank and transfer your money across and close the first bank.

Oh awesome Thankyou! I’m on way to whistler now so will check it all out grin

Welcome to Boardworld, @hohmann and @Tort! See you guys over here! shaka

Well, you’re coming to the right place to learn. Just get out there, have fun, and I have no doubt you’ll surprise yourself by how much you can progress in a season. I’m sure once the season starts one or more of us will give you some instruction on the mountain. Definitely come along to one of our shred days

Thanks for the encouragement @rider26!, I’ll definitely have to come along cheese

Good job with the call. It does sound like the Vancouver job fair in September might be more finding people who start early like snowmakers or mechanics or something like that and most jobs go in October.

Worst that happens and you don’t get a job in October, you can apply around the mountain (I’m sure someone with experience will get hired somewhere) and you can always bail on Whistler and go somewhere else if it’s not working out as planned. Most mountains have some jobs if you’re really keen smile

@TJswish Thanks! Yes that’s what I’m hoping, and you’re so right, I can always go in search of work elsewhere if the worst comes to the worst, someone will have to hire me somewhere tongue wink

Thanks for all the advice guys and hopefully see you out there soon!

Exactly, Eliza and I rocked up in Fernie last season and both had jobs before the season started. Don’t get discouraged if you don’t get something right away, a lot of companies wait until the last second to start hiring so they don’t have to have you on their books early.

hohmann - 24 August 2016 09:56 PM

Hey guys, I’ll be heading over for the season as well.

Anyone else land a job as a repair tech for blackcomb? Or has anyone had a job as a repair tech so I know what to expect?

I worked rentals at the Fairmont so that meant we had a bit to do with the repair shop.
Most of your time is spent waxing and edging skis/boards, p-texing gouges etc.
Pretty cruisy atmosphere whilst working, listening to music.
They sometimes work fairly late/longer at night which is good because it means you get more mountain time, pretty sure they did split shifts too.
Tuning shops are right at the base of the hill so are in great/central locations.
They are relatively small teams but you’ll see rental staff a fair bit when they transfer hire gear so its worth making the effort to get to know them - just get to know any and all staff really

Hi everyone,

What would be a good backup plan if I’m not able to get into the end of October job fair? I’m pretty much banking on getting a full time role with the resort and staying in staff accommodation but the thought of not securing anything still looms over my head. I’m guessing the best thing to do then is just hand out my resume at every shop on the mountain and pick up the local paper for accommodation or look on craiglist/facebook?

Thanks

Hey @SK89,

You should be fine at the October job fair. There’s a very good chance you’ll be offered a position. Put your best foot forward and show you want to be a part of their team.

If not, your backup plan sounds about right. A lot of other businesses will be looking for seasonal workers. It’s just a matter of getting to them early and putting yourself in a position to be considered for the job.

Best of luck!

Hey guys!

I realized I haven’t actually posted in a while so I thought I’d make an appearance smile

I’m planning on booking my flights within the next few days for the 23rd Oct, and am thinking of booking three nights accom in Van and then booking a week in whistler. @rider26 is this a good plan?  smile
Hopefully that should be enough so that I can head to the job fair and then get into staffies!

Then it’s just a matter of booking in my travel insurance and I’m pretty much set! Bar the mini things left to do eg tell my bank I’m going so they don’t think that I’m being hacked from some random person in Canada joy

Anyways getting super pumped, still doesn’t feel real yet. I’m sure it will once everything is booked. Stoked to see so many of you are headed out this season, looks like we’ll all be having a good dinner out together!  rocker