The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler 2016/17

Hi guys ill be heading over To Whistler for the winter season. Wish i found this site sooner. Some great info that would have made life alot easier a few months back.

Ill be heading into Whislter second week of Nov after a few days in Vancouver sorting out the bank ac etc.

Ive tried to lock down a job from Aus but its proving difficult due to the competition, is it at all possible to do this without a agency or am i best to just job hunt when i arrive. If this has already been answered sorry.

Also i’m traveling alone so if any other lone travels that will be in Whistler want to grab a drink say hi grin

Honestly at this point you’re too late for agencies. Just rock up and find a job when you get there. There will be spots open and worst comes to worst, just grab a housekeeping or dish pig job until you find something better.

The guys and girls from here have meetups regularly and generally have a sushi / drinks meet up at the start of the season to meet up. I think there is a Facebook group as well which might give you more info.

TJswish - 18 September 2016 05:13 PM

Honestly at this point you’re too late for agencies. Just rock up and find a job when you get there. There will be spots open and worst comes to worst, just grab a housekeeping or dish pig job until you find something better.

The guys and girls from here have meetups regularly and generally have a sushi / drinks meet up at the start of the season to meet up. I think there is a Facebook group as well which might give you more info.

Hi Thanks for the reply mate, yeh its seeming like that’s the way to go. I’m happy to do that anyway.

Awesome, whats the name of the group?

@rider26 alright sweet as! All sorted now beers
I’m sure there’s probably info on this somewhere so if you could direct me that’d be great, but in terms of jobs, what are rated as the better ones? I know that the hourly rate in Canada is wayyy less than aus, so it’s better to work in areas where tips are available, and I’ve heard there’s pros and cons of a lot of the jobs. What would you say are the best ones to apply for though eg retail, office, hostess, server etc

@SK89 haha that’s awesome, I’m leaving/arriving on the 23rd too, the time difference is so weird, travelling back in time shock I’m heading to van for three nights first though grin

@cifa9 the more the merrier for dinner and drinks dance

I finally have everything actually booked in now, flights, van and whis accom, and travel insurance rocker feels like there’s still so much to do though

@readyforsomesnow awesome thanks man, how do i find out when you guys are meeting up?

Im the same man no matter how organised i think i am there is always something else to do. Just want to get to Whistler already haha

Welcome to Boardworld, @cifa9! shaka

BW Whistler Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/boardworldwhistler/

Definitely keep an eye on the forums. We’ll start a new thread or perhaps just continue this one, and we’ll post information in here about the meetups. I’ll also make a point of posting into the Facebook group, so definitely join up there as well. Looking forward to seeing you over there!

@readyforsomesnow, I would say a serving job would pay best purely because of the tips. I’ve only ever worked as an instructor previously, and now I work for myself, so I really don’t have too much knowledge in this area.

Just putting it out there for those who want to work towards working as an instructor in the future, it’s certainly one of the best-paying jobs and you’ll get to ride more than anyone else (and progress a lot while you’re at it). It’s a super fun job and highly rewarding, so if you have an interest in teaching, I would encourage you to pursue this avenue.

rider26 - 20 September 2016 10:26 PM

It’s a super fun job and highly rewarding, so if you have an interest in teaching, I would encourage you to pursue this avenue.

What do you think would be the best way to get my foot in the door for something like this? I’d imagine you’d need some sort of certification?

I’ve just got into a hostel in Whistler on Monday so am just now beginning to look for a job/accommodation. Not sure which I should be trying to lock down first.

I just missed out on applying for the local job fair at the end of this week so will apply for the end of October one. Bit on the fence about banking on waiting until the end of Oct for Job/Staff Accommodation through Whistler Blackcomb though.

Heya!

Thought I would jump into conversation as I am heading over to Whistler for the 2016-17 Season. This forum has been so useful, thank you to everyone who has been posting info on here! Thought I would share my experience so far.. I have accepted a job with Four Seasons as a Ski concierge attendant. The team there seem really lovely and they were super helpful throughout the recruitment process! There seems to be a few posts on Facebook for Winter positions, if anyone is still looking.

Heading over on the 6th Nov from Oz, and looking forward to meeting up for a drink! smile

Cheers,
Pam

Hey @Pamelakayyy! Nice one on getting the Four Seasons job, did you do a Skype interview? Been asked to an interview with Four Seasons over Skype, so any pointers would be hugely appreciated!

Anyone on here staying in the Whistler Lodge Hostel from 6th October?  smile

900steve - 14 September 2016 03:17 PM

Posting in here under that assumption it will be most visible for these questions…

Has anyone done a visa application recently and can give an indication on current wait times?
Had a friend recently decide to join me in Fernie for the season.

Follow up for the experienced ones…
What is the feasibility of entering the country on a tourist visa whilst waiting for working holiday visa to come through?
Pretty sure I’ve heard of it being done before but can’t remember if people had good or bad experiences.
Any advice would be helpful.

@900steve

Hey Steve,

Just an update from the chicks here who want to come to Fernie this season, it took 3 weeks from application and she has her visa approved. Came through last night.

Hope that’s positive info for your mate. (and if anyone else here is thinking about applying, it could potentially be here before the Whistler job fair too.)

Hey @Cod_,

The first step is taking a CASI Level 1 course and getting certified. There will be courses running all winter in Whistler. https://www.casi-acms.com/index.php/en/

This line of work is something you will have to work towards; there are steps to get there but it’s super rewarding once you get there. Especially in Whistler, the standard is fairly high these days, so you need to look at it as a longer-term goal. As it stands currently from the latest information I have, you at least need to have your Level 2 or some instructing experience. The level 2 is doable with some time and dedication, and the experience you can gain at other resorts in Canada or in your home country where the hiring standards aren’t so high.

Feel free to start another thread or reply here if you would like to discuss this further.

Pamelakayyy - 21 September 2016 07:08 PM

Heya!

Thought I would jump into conversation as I am heading over to Whistler for the 2016-17 Season. This forum has been so useful, thank you to everyone who has been posting info on here! Thought I would share my experience so far.. I have accepted a job with Four Seasons as a Ski concierge attendant. The team there seem really lovely and they were super helpful throughout the recruitment process! There seems to be a few posts on Facebook for Winter positions, if anyone is still looking.

Heading over on the 6th Nov from Oz, and looking forward to meeting up for a drink! smile

Cheers,
Pam

Welcome to Boardworld, @Pamelakayyy, and congrats on securing a job! We’ll see you over here in November! shaka

TJswish - 22 September 2016 12:11 PM

Hey Steve,

Just an update from the chicks here who want to come to Fernie this season, it took 3 weeks from application and she has her visa approved. Came through last night.

Hope that’s positive info for your mate. (and if anyone else here is thinking about applying, it could potentially be here before the Whistler job fair too.)

Cheers TJ
AFP clearance has been received and application submitted so now its the waiting game… Hoping to get it before the Fernie Job fair

Jihnzo - 22 September 2016 05:27 AM

Hey @Pamelakayyy! Nice one on getting the Four Seasons job, did you do a Skype interview? Been asked to an interview with Four Seasons over Skype, so any pointers would be hugely appreciated!

Hey @Jihnzo, Yes I had two Skype interviews. I would recommend reading up on what Four Seasons is all about, have a look at where their located and a bit about the resort so you have a bit of info to share when they ask you about why you want to work there. All the usual questions came up, so I’d recommend doing a quick google search of common interview questions e.g. What are your strengths, give us a situation when… etc. They are really friendly, so its not scary at all! I am sure they just want to see how you can work as part of a team, show that you are a hard worker and willing to to stick around for the season. Goodluck and let us know how you get on!

@rider26 Thank you! Looking forward to meeting new people in Nov!

Hey all,

The applications for the Whistler Fall Fair are open.

https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/employment/search-jobs#JobFairs

Happy applying!