The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler 2016/17

Hey Guys

Is anyone looking for 3 house mates over the season. We arrive October 26th all 3 of us 22 snowboard and looking for a cruisy place for the season ! Hit me up if you have something available or want to know some more info !!

Cheers

Matt

Matt629 - 03 October 2016 11:29 PM

Hey Guys

Is anyone looking for 3 house mates over the season. We arrive October 26th all 3 of us 22 snowboard and looking for a cruisy place for the season ! Hit me up if you have something available or want to know some more info !!

Cheers

Matt

In Whistler atm and am currently looking for accom for myself and a mate. Not easy right now. but have a place until the end of October.

Rental or professional references will definitely help when dealing with landlords for a place.

Otherwise, renting a sub-let room/bed is the other option.

Perhaps a group of 5 may be easier? It definitely helps to have boots on the ground though.

Yeah it seems to be a bit of a mission

Cheers for the tips mate rent have you just been using the facebook groups ?

Yep, as well as craigslist.ca, pique magazine, kijiji.ca

Hi all

I haven’t posted in a while so I thought I’d show my face again as the winter season draws closer.

Quick update on my situation to see if anyone is in a similar boat:

- So I stumbled across this forum a while ago but it’s been by far the most helpful one, even though I’m afraid to tell you all that I’m from the UK, 25years old and…....... a skier! But would still love to meet up for shredding and drinks with all you guys.

-  I fly out to Vancouver on 15th October from London and intend to get my SIN, bank account and mobile there.

- I’m then heading up to Whistler on 19th. Initially I am booked into the HI Whistler hostel, but I have been offered a job as a junior server in the Mallard Lounge, which will give me staff accommodation from around 1st November.

- If anyone has advice on what bank or phone company to go with that would be great, as I’m unsure which banks will be close to the Fairmont (mallard lounge) staff accommodation.

Hopefully, catch some of you guys out there soon enough for a beer, I’m travelling alone so new friends are greatly appreciated and thanks for all the advice on this site!

Hey Guys!

Totally new to the forum and totally new to snowboarding! Doing the typical Aussie-wanting-a-change-of-scenery and heading to Whistler for the season.

Due to personal reasons and just plain unorganisation and lack of research I fear may have left my search for a job and accomm for the season too late??

I’m flying into Vancouver on the 6th of November and probably head to Whistler the next day after setting up a SIN, bank account etc. I’ve even looked at bringing my flights forward so I don’t miss the job fair but it’s not looking possible at this stage.

I’ve been checking craigslist, kijiji and all the forums relentlessly trying to secure something.. ANYTHING!

Any tips for this complete novice would be really appreciated. I’m especially worried about finding a place to live. Anyone looking for a room mate please drop me a line grin

Hey RookieSophie, I’m pretty new here too.

I’m heading to Whistler for the 16/17 season as well, going to be incredible. I arrive on the 19th October.
I haven’t secured any job or accommodation either. If you’ve got hospitality experience, jobs should be relatively easy. Accommodation is the problem, seeing as you’re going to miss Whistler Blackcomb job fairs then that rules out staff housing too (which you would have only been considered if you work full-time).

We’re struggling with accommodation to; if you stick at it, you will definitely find something. Try to arrive early though, the earlier the better when it comes to landlords or sublets that want to meet their tenants. Worry about the job later. If you’ve got your working visa, then your fine… If you try, everything will work itself out.

Flying in on the 6th November is better than some people I know that are flying in at the end of November. Rock-up with a smile, talk to everyone and sus the notification boards around Whistler town twice daily.

Hopefully see you around, we’ll get shots smile

@Pamelakayyy I got offered the job at Four Seasons, but it seems they have a waiting list for their staff accommodation teacherboy

Ended up getting offered a job with Whistler Athletes Centre inc. Staff accommodation, which sounds pretty sweet. Lucky is an understatement!

For people hunting around for jobs in Whistler, maybe check out Indeed.ca.

Welcome to Boardworld, @kyle_lamb! ?

Hey Guys,

New to the site! I’m heading to Whistler late next week, just wondering if anyone had any information on the Bar Fair on the 22nd?

I’ve been looking through past comments and no one seems to be going to that one, am I missing something?

Hey what type of info are you after?

I attended it last winter, you pretty much turn up with resumes in hand ready to tell them where you want to work and one of the managers from the different locations will sit you down for an interview. You may get a chance to sit another interview with another manager so bring multiple resumes all printed out.

Know all the different places and what job you want. Pretty much bus person is the way to go if its your first season in Whistler as the Bar Person and Server positions are usually returning staff. and make sure you have your serve it right and food safe level 1.
*side note i heard from a friend that works at GLC that they have done all their hiring so no point applying at GLC*

OH and KOKANEE is the mountain’s house beer if they ask!

cut and paste from WB16

Bar Fair
Date: Oct 22nd
Time: 9:30am to 2:30pm
No need to apply - walk-in style fair. Show up early and bring your resume!

Fall Fair
Date: October 28th & 29th
Applications have now closed - Thank you to all that applied! You will be communicated the results of your application shortly.
Walk-ins will be available on Friday October 28th only.

wheelman - 12 October 2016 03:53 PM

Hey Guys,

New to the site! I’m heading to Whistler late next week, just wondering if anyone had any information on the Bar Fair on the 22nd?

I’ve been looking through past comments and no one seems to be going to that one, am I missing something?

- If anyone has advice on what bank or phone company to go with that would be great, as I’m unsure which banks will be close to the Fairmont (mallard lounge) staff accommodation.

I set up Fido in van before heading to whistler, i found it the cheapest 1 gig for 49 bucks back in 2015. You can use Whistleout.ca to look for a phone plan that suits you. just remember, just because it is cheap make sure you check the reception only really the big ones have decent reception here.

If you are in fairmont the closest bank would be TD Canada Trust.  I’d shop around as they have all sorts of deals for new arrivals. TD is pretty good though they are usually open the latest if you need a teller.

TD1991 - 04 October 2016 11:29 PM

Hi all

I haven’t posted in a while so I thought I’d show my face again as the winter season draws closer.

Quick update on my situation to see if anyone is in a similar boat:

- So I stumbled across this forum a while ago but it’s been by far the most helpful one, even though I’m afraid to tell you all that I’m from the UK, 25years old and…....... a skier! But would still love to meet up for shredding and drinks with all you guys.

-  I fly out to Vancouver on 15th October from London and intend to get my SIN, bank account and mobile there.

- I’m then heading up to Whistler on 19th. Initially I am booked into the HI Whistler hostel, but I have been offered a job as a junior server in the Mallard Lounge, which will give me staff accommodation from around 1st November.

Hopefully, catch some of you guys out there soon enough for a beer, I’m travelling alone so new friends are greatly appreciated and thanks for all the advice on this site!

Has anyone here had any experience getting their second year over travel insurance through fast cover?

I asked them for a 24 month qoute and they said I would have to buy the first 12 months and then once that policy kicks in go online and purchase my 2nd year and download my updated certificate. Has anyone else done this? I’m just a little concerned because I will be out of time if I have to wait till the day I leave to organise the 2nd year.

I entered the country via air travel and got in with 6 months of cover. After that was done, i’ve been on http://www.safevisit.ca/ or you can sign up for BC health care.

I have heard if you come in via road border they are bit pedantic and one you to prove 24 months.

hohmann - 19 October 2016 10:20 AM

Has anyone here had any experience getting their second year over travel insurance through fast cover?

I asked them for a 24 month qoute and they said I would have to buy the first 12 months and then once that policy kicks in go online and purchase my 2nd year and download my updated certificate. Has anyone else done this? I’m just a little concerned because I will be out of time if I have to wait till the day I leave to organise the 2nd year.

Did they still give you a 2 year visa?