The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler 2016/17

@SnowMang, all sounds good, mate! Welcome to the community! cool grin

I wouldn’t worry too much about the AFP check… it can take about 2-3 weeks if I remember correctly.

Yep, definitely check out the canal surfing… it’s sick! Spend at least a day chilling at the English Garden (where the canal surfing is). Buy some beer, chill out by the water, go for a swim… hey, you can even go nude (it’s nudist-friendly), haha! This was one of our favourite chillout spots in Europe.

Here’s a couple of photos I took…

That’s so good! Don’t know if I’m game enough to flop my junk out there though haha. Something tells me I’ll be having to buy some more camera gear for this trip (my poor poor bank account :( )

Incidentally, I just received confirmation of my AFP clearance, and will get my cert next week, yeww!

Great news! I guess we’ll see you in Whistler soon! Keep us posted on your plans. ✈️ ?? ? ?

A few photos I took today at Green Lake watching the seaplane takeoff…

Hey,
Can anyone recommend places to stay for the season in whistler other then staff accommodation? What are my options?

2haynes - 20 July 2016 08:26 PM

Hey,
Can anyone recommend places to stay for the season in whistler other then staff accommodation? What are my options?

Welcome to Boardworld, @2haynes! shaka

You basically have two options:

Staff housing as you mentioned—which includes staff accommodation with and not with Whistler Blackcomb, for example, some of the hotels provide staff accommodation to their staff.

The other option is you sort out your own accommodation privately. Generally more expensive than staff housing, but there are obvious benefits as well. This generally means having to look through rental listings, calling/emailing landlords, providing references etc. It can be a tough market to crack, so be patient and persistent if this is the route you want to go.

You can start by joining this group on Facebook to give you an idea of the current market.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if Whistler employees can get discounts on lift passes, ski rental, etc for friends and family?

Thanks

Not what you’re asking but RCR employees get 10x $30 passes for family and friends (Fernie / Kicking Horse / Kimberley / Nakiska) for the resort you’re working for. Rentals you just need to know the right people hahaha.

I’m sure @rider26 can answer about Whistler though.

Hey folks! My name is Ty, making the move over from North Bay, Ontario on November 4th into staff housing. Hoping to stay as long as possible so keen to meet you all this season!

SK89 - 21 July 2016 11:49 AM

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if Whistler employees can get discounts on lift passes, ski rental, etc for friends and family?

Thanks

Hey @SK89,

Yes, can you. You can get discounted Edge Cards, which I think are like 2/3+ day passes. I don’t believe you can get discounts on single day passes. However, as a Christmas bonus, you will also receive a variety of half price and free tickets to use for family and friends. I believe you get more if you’re full-time as opposed to part-time.

With rentals, some places might, some might not. What would you be looking to hire exactly?

coast2coast - 22 July 2016 02:03 AM

Hey folks! My name is Ty, making the move over from North Bay, Ontario on November 4th into staff housing. Hoping to stay as long as possible so keen to meet you all this season!

Welcome to Boardworld, Ty @coast2coast! punch

Looking forward to having you over here. Keep us posted on your plans.

Do you know where you will be working?

rider26 - 22 July 2016 03:02 AM
coast2coast - 22 July 2016 02:03 AM

Welcome to Boardworld, Ty @coast2coast! punch

Looking forward to having you over here. Keep us posted on your plans.

Do you know where you will be working?

Thanks! punch Stoked to get started out there! Gonna be working retail for WB and staying in staff housing for the winter season at least, hopefully find a place outside house in the summer after but I know it’s never easy!

Keep us posted on your plans! See you over here! cool grin

Will do, absolutely! cheese

“Your application to work in Canada has been approved.”

BOOM! Seeya in a few months!!