The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler 2016/17

@readyforsomesnow

No worries about the return flight information, I had the same worry as you and so was happy to be able to help.

I’m now in the same situation as you; I’ve got my IEC visa approved and ready to book my one way flight, but I just cannot decide what date to book!!

@TD1991
It’s hard to choose! After talking to @rider26 I’m thinking around the 20th October for my flight. Since the job fair is late October that gives two weekends before oct ends for the job fair.

I just wish I knew the exact date of it!! But I guess we won’t know that until closer to the time. Don’t wanna wait too long before booking flights in case the price goes up hmm dilemma lol!

@readyforsomesnow

Sorry I didn’t reply sooner, but I have now finally plucked up the courage and committed!!

I’ve booked my flight to Vancouver and will be arriving on 15th October. Having read countless threads and websites and a few emails with Whistler Employment, it seems that the job fair will almost certainly be after this date.

I’ll likely get to Whistler on 20th October after sorting some admin bits in Vancouver,
Book a hostel for my initial time in Whistler whilst I desperately try and find a job and accommodation!
Praying it all comes together once I’m there.

Hopefully this gives you an insight into my plan, and I hope its in line with your understanding of the correct thing to do haa

Best of luck.
Did you get you flight booked in the end?

@TD1991

That’s awesome, how exciting!!
So are you planning to look around for other jobs before the job fair as well?
Is there actually a job fair in whistler? I was under the impression it was in Vancouver.

I haven’t booked my flight yet actually, I’m still thinking the 20th October. I did see in a previous thread @rider26 mentioned last year in July the dates for the oct fair that year. I’m wondering if this July we’d know the oct job fair date? I would prefer to know that before booking my flight. If not then I’ll just aim for the 20th I guess. My plan is to head to van and stay there getting everything set up, go to the job fair and then head to whistler grin

Job fair is in Whistler. Don’t book flights until 2-3 months out unless you find an awesome sale.

@TJswish
Thanks for the info, short and sweet. I’ll wait until the 2 or 3 months before oct to book flights, insurance and accom smile

Been a while since I’ve posted here but I’ve managed to get my working visa! dance

I’m also looking at the end of October job fair for whistler so will probably aim to leave for Vancouver on the 20th. While I wait though is there anything I can do here to make sure things go as smoothly as possible for when I move over? On my to-do list so far there is:

- Book my flight
- Get travel insurance (Any recommendations? Only plan to work in Canada for one season and then travel around the world for 6 months after that before I return to Aus to re-commence my day job)
- Update my resume
- Book initial accommodation
- Book my place in the Whistler job fair (What’s the best way to ensure I get a spot?)
- Wax my snowboard shaka

Once I get to Vancouver I will then need to:

- Get an SIN
- Open a bank account (any bank recommendations?)
- Get a phone plan (once again, any recommendations?)
- Anything else?

Sorry for the large amount of questions, just want to make sure I’m as prepared as possible

Hey @SK89,

Bank recommendations: TD Canada Trust or RBC. Both have branches in the village.

Phone plan: I’m with Telus at the moment and I’m quite happy with them / the plan. Others are Bell, Fido etc. I’ve been with Fido before and they aren’t bad either.

Insurance: You have to take into account whether you’ll be snowboarding or not. Make sure you buy a plan (or additional cover) that covers you for snowboarding. Read the wording in the PDS. I was with Go Insurance last season with the additional snow cover. I was happy with the price and level of cover. http://www.goinsurance.com.au/

You can also use: https://www.comparethemarket.com.au/ to search your options.

Just a reminder you can claim your GST back through the TRS when you leave the country on any purchases made before you leave. https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente/Tour/Are-you-a-traveller

Looks like you’ve got everything else covered. thumbsup

Hi all

Hope everyone is doing good!

I’ve seen that Whistler have now announced the dates for the jobs fairs:

Bar Fair - Oct 22nd
More information to follow closer to date.

Fall Fair - October 28th & 29th
Applications open online at the end of September

I was just wondering if people had experience of the fairs and how’s best to approach them.

- Should I be in/have permanent accommodation in place before attending the fairs in order to be able to get a job. Or is it expected/fine to arrive at the fairs when living in a hostel?

- I assume I need to take a stack of resume’s but is there anything else I should take along?

- Finally, sounds stupid but what sort of dress code is expected?

Literally no idea what to expect and thought its ok to air my stupid questions to you guys in a hope that someone has been or others have the same queries!

Thanks

Tom

rider26 - 01 July 2016 12:41 PM

Hey @SK89,

Bank recommendations: TD Canada Trust or RBC. Both have branches in the village.

Phone plan: I’m with Telus at the moment and I’m quite happy with them / the plan. Others are Bell, Fido etc. I’ve been with Fido before and they aren’t bad either.

Insurance: You have to take into account whether you’ll be snowboarding or not. Make sure you buy a plan (or additional cover) that covers you for snowboarding. Read the wording in the PDS. I was with Go Insurance last season with the additional snow cover. I was happy with the price and level of cover. http://www.goinsurance.com.au/

You can also use: https://www.comparethemarket.com.au/ to search your options.

Just a reminder you can claim your GST back through the TRS when you leave the country on any purchases made before you leave. https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente/Tour/Are-you-a-traveller

Looks like you’ve got everything else covered. thumbsup

Cool! thanks for the info Rider!

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of the great info on this forum. Something that still isn’t clear to me is what jobs’ll be on offer at the October fair. I am assuming all of the liftie jobs / reservations / ticketing jobs etc are already filled by the likes of TWHC.

The only other thing I am not 100% on is whether you need to apply to Whistler before the job fair and then get to whistler for the fair or if you just rock into whistler on the 22nd October and queue up for a job?

There will be some good jobs left (they only give so many to THWC). Yes you do need to apply online and they will give you an interview from there.

Unless you’re super lucky, you probably won’t get a job by just rocking up.

Just signed up to BW, so hi everyone!

I’m also planning on coming over to Whistler for the 2016/17 season and beyond, so would be awesome to connect up with some of you guys when we all get over there.

Waiting on my work permit to be approved (stupid me didn’t realise it was an AFP police certificate that was required, the state national clearance wasn’t the right one…).

As far as my plans go, I’ll be doing some Euro travel from mid-Sept (anyone wanna come to Oktoberfest?!) and rocking up in Vancouver around the 18th of October in time for the Bar Fair in Whistler on the weekend, and the fair the following weekend. I’m in a fortunate position that I have a friend letting me crash on their couch in Vancouver for a few weeks, so depending on people’s plans here, we could carpool it up to Whistler for the fairs if anyone wants to get to know some strangers.

I’ll have about 6 weeks up my sleeve from the end of July before starting my adventure - for those in the know, how should I best spend this time in order to make myself as attractive as possible for the fairs?

For example, I’ve got my RSA certification (obviously not relevant in Canada, but it’s on the CV), and am applying for my Approved Manager’s cert. I have a friend who runs a mobile cocktail company, and he’s happy for me to learn some of his craft and work alongside them before I head off.

Also thinking about doing a barista course, so I can slap together some good coffee. I also have a lot of professional experience (I’m a qualified designer, animator and photographer -  ie. computer literate AF)... but not sure how relevant any of that will be for these “entry level jobs” over there. Any advice on this would be amazing!

Thanks to all the people that have contributed some really handy info in this thread - I’ll be making these forums my home for learning all about Whistler and the goings on there while I gear up for the season.

Welcome to Boardworld, @SnowMang! shaka

I’m looking forward to having you over here, and we will definitely catch up and have an early season Boardworld dinner as we always do.

It sounds like you’re well prepared minus the minor setback with the police check.

Where will you be hitting up in Europe? My wife and I spent 5 months backpacking over there last summer—it was so epic! We spent quite a bit of time in Germany but unfortunately we weren’t there for Oktoberfest. Still, Munich is an amazing city. Make sure you check out the canal surfing at the English Garden. It’s a super cool place to chill out for the day regardless.

If you need a ride from Vancouver, join this group on Facebook. We’ve often used it for picking up passengers and I know other members on here do the same.

It certainly couldn’t hurt doing a barista course if this is a job you might want want to apply for. If you have spare time up your sleeve, you might as well keep your options open. Given your skills, we should have chat when you get over here as I sometimes need graphic work and photography etc. Let’s have a chat and we can see if there’s anything we can work on together. No guarantees but happy to have the chat. wink

rider26 - 15 July 2016 06:27 AM

Welcome to Boardworld, @SnowMang! shaka

I’m looking forward to having you over here, and we will definitely catch up and have an early season Boardworld dinner as we always do.

This sounds awesome - so good having a community of people to connect with before even rocking up haha.

It sounds like you’re well prepared minus the minor setback with the police check.

Yep, starting to get a little impatient… it’s been a week with no response from AFP about when I might get my certificate.

Where will you be hitting up in Europe? My wife and I spent 5 months backpacking over there last summer—it was so epic! We spent quite a bit of time in Germany but unfortunately we weren’t there for Oktoberfest. Still, Munich is an amazing city. Make sure you check out the canal surfing at the English Garden. It’s a super cool place to chill out for the day regardless.

Plan at this stage is to get to Munich for Oktoberfest, hire a car and drive south through the Alps to Italy, catch a plane up to the UK, mung around the Highlands of Scotland and visit as many distilleries as I can, fill up the tank in Amsterdam and Belgium and then hop over to Canada after that. Thanks for the suggestion, never heard of the canal surfing - will check it out!

If you need a ride from Vancouver, join this group on Facebook. We’ve often used it for picking up passengers and I know other members on here do the same.

Legend, joining now!

It certainly couldn’t hurt doing a barista course if this is a job you might want want to apply for. If you have spare time up your sleeve, you might as well keep your options open. Given your skills, we should have chat when you get over here as I sometimes need graphic work and photography etc. Let’s have a chat and we can see if there’s anything we can work on together. No guarantees but happy to have the chat. wink

Without really knowing the jobs on offer (just knowing that they are effectively entry level), felt it was a good idea to have some skills in these areas. Ideally I’d probably look for some bar work or barista role, and more than happy to have a chat with you about what I might be able to bring to the table for some extra pocket money. Cheers shaka