The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler Blackcomb 2015/2016

Jake - 22 December 2015 01:12 AM

Argh the stoke in this thread is so awesome, im smiling from ear to ear looking at these pics. Awesome stuff guys, i wish Liz and I could be there. So happy this season has delivered the goods. Keep the photos and updates coming, need one like i got of Rhys early this year dropping into Flute Bowl, there would be some epic photos to be had when you all get a moment to stop wink

YIEW!

Jake this photo still gives me a buz. Great day that was.

EPIC season so far. killing it whistler

Hey dudes and dudettes.

Been riding for roughly a month (ever… so I’m looking to keep improving as fast as I can (while staying safe)) and hit park last weekend for the first time, and it’s sick! (pow still wins though). Just wondering if anyone else is new to park/boarding and wants to come learn. Or anyone who wants to teach a new guy. I have 3 days off starting today.

I’ll be doing a lap at blackcomb first thing this morning to get some gloves i left at the lift hut then ill be heading to the whis park on p2p.

Cheers moits!

ps. The one day that I did park - I can hit the kickers and hips already, as well as all the types of boxes but can only ride on thus far. Can do some simple grabs and front 1s (although sketchy) on the kickers.

I’m keen to learn a front 3 (possibly with indy grab) and someone to help me get my olly technique better and bigger before I hit a rail so I don’t eat it. Also keen to learn boardslide ride on this weekend too.

It sounds like you’re progressing nicely. Keep at it, but also make sure you build up solid riding skills out of the park to assist your progression in the park. It just means you’ll progress faster and safer, in my option. Don’t rush into learning new tricks in the park before all the pieces (skills) are there. Progress gradually and strongly.

Since you’re talking about frontside 180s, I’ll talk about backside boardslides (meaning you are facing forward down the rail just like you would in the first 90 degrees of a frontside 180). With boardslides, definitely get a feel for it on a box first. The most important thing is getting your weight distribution over your board and in the direction of travel. It’s common to slip out when you first learn as there is too much weight over your back edge. Commit to the direction of travel (don’t lean back)! So practice this on a box before taking it to a rail.

If you’ve got your frontside 180s down, work on backside 180s, cab 180s, and switch backside 180s. Work on riding switch, carving (in both directions), riding bumps, letting your board run flat, pressing etc. These skills will help you greatly in the park.

Other than that, just keep getting out there and having fun! I haven’t been through the park yet this season. I might join you sometime when I’m feeling better (nursing a minor injury but I’m taking it easy). Hopefully my advice helps you a bit in my absence. wink

rider26 - 27 December 2015 09:01 AM

It sounds like you’re progressing nicely. Keep at it, but also make sure you build up solid riding skills out of the park to assist your progression in the park. It just means you’ll progress faster and safer, in my option. Don’t rush into learning new tricks in the park before all the pieces (skills) are there. Progress gradually and strongly.

Since you’re talking about frontside 180s, I’ll talk about backside boardslides (meaning you are facing forward down the rail just like you would in the first 90 degrees of a frontside 180). With boardslides, definitely get a feel for it on a box first. The most important thing is getting your weight distribution over your board and in the direction of travel. It’s common to slip out when you first learn as there is too much weight over your back edge. Commit to the direction of travel (don’t lean back)! So practice this on a box before taking it to a rail.

If you’ve got your frontside 180s down, work on backside 180s, cab 180s, and switch backside 180s. Work on riding switch, carving (in both directions), riding bumps, letting your board run flat, pressing etc. These skills will help you greatly in the park.

Other than that, just keep getting out there and having fun! I haven’t been through the park yet this season. I might join you sometime when I’m feeling better (nursing a minor injury but I’m taking it easy). Hopefully my advice helps you a bit in my absence. wink

Thank you for the tips!

I know for a fact I can’t really ride switch (I look like a complete beginner). I can ride flat base and press while riding (although I have pretty stiff board so it isn’t very buttery and hard to do so), I can ride bumps, carve etc. The only thing I’d say holding me back is my riding switch and my commitment to learn it because I always get pissed off and go back to regular. This in turn limits my desire to learn 180s. So its holding me back in progression quite a lot actually.

But I did go to the park today and hit my first medium sized kicker and pulled off my first nose grab!

I’m riding a new board tomorrow that I bought second hand hardly used and am going to see how that goes. It’s a park board so I’m keen to see if it is anymore playful.

Also I don’t know if it makes much of a difference but does having a beginner/intermediate/advance board make a difference when learning? park in particular. I know a flexible board can help people learn turns when they first start out but that’s all I can really think of.

Hi Powpow,

I think I’m at a similar level to you as far as park riding goes. I haven’t been up to the park on whistler for a few days but have heard it’s looking good. I will be doing some laps in there this next week for sure! Will be looking to work on 1’s, 3’s and possibly boardslides. We’ll have to meet up!

I’m probably not the best person to be giving advice but the one thing I’d say is be persistent with your switch riding. As you’ve already mentioned not being comfortable riding switch will start to hold you back in the park pretty quickly. Not sure on your current set up but make sure you have your bindings set to the same angles and centered on the board if possible as this will make switch a lot easier. Dedicate some runs to riding only switch and you will start to improve in no time!

Thepowpow - 27 December 2015 10:48 AM

I know for a fact I can’t really ride switch (I look like a complete beginner). I can ride flat base and press while riding (although I have pretty stiff board so it isn’t very buttery and hard to do so), I can ride bumps, carve etc. The only thing I’d say holding me back is my riding switch and my commitment to learn it because I always get pissed off and go back to regular. This in turn limits my desire to learn 180s. So its holding me back in progression quite a lot actually.

You hit the nail on the head here. BY FAR, the most important skill to learn (and get good at) right now is switch riding. Switch is the key to unlocking freestyle skills and tricks. Just as you said, you can’t do 180s, it’s absolutely blocking your progression. Work on switch every day. Dedicate at least one run where you’re committed to riding switch the whole way! Don’t think about it, just do it. You’ll be surprised how quickly you can progress.

But I did go to the park today and hit my first medium sized kicker and pulled off my first nose grab!

Nice work! shaka

Also I don’t know if it makes much of a difference but does having a beginner/intermediate/advance board make a difference when learning? park in particular. I know a flexible board can help people learn turns when they first start out but that’s all I can really think of.

Each board has it’s pros and cons, and personal preference is a big consideration as well. When I think park boards, to me the most important thing is that it’s a true twin or close to it. Camber profiles, flex patterns etc. is more personal preference in my opinion.

Speaking of which, a park board would probably help you in that a twin (or twin-like) board is easier to ride switch. It wants to ride both ways. Also make sure you are set up centred on the board, and certainly use a duck stance (negative angle on the back binding), which again, will also encourage you to ride switch and make learning easier.

Worth reading: Stance and Setup

Peli - 27 December 2015 04:29 PM

I’m probably not the best person to be giving advice but the one thing I’d say is be persistent with your switch riding. As you’ve already mentioned not being comfortable riding switch will start to hold you back in the park pretty quickly. Not sure on your current set up but make sure you have your bindings set to the same angles and centered on the board if possible as this will make switch a lot easier. Dedicate some runs to riding only switch and you will start to improve in no time!

I probably should have read this reply first. Looks like we’re on the same page. Good advice, mate!

I hope you’ve been having fun out there! It’s been torture not riding much over the past week or so. I can’t wait to get back out there.

We should organise a Boardworld shred day. What are everyone’s days off at the moment?

I just saw this pop up on my Facebook feed (thanks Rico), and I thought it was appropriate reading:

http://www.anttisworld.com/why-it-took-me-so-long-to-learn-how-to-turn/

Thought I’d share a couple of recent photos. ??

Alta Lake, yesterday morning.

Trees near our place in Alpine Meadows. Taken with Social Fisheye for iPhone.

rider26 - 28 December 2015 05:24 AM

I hope you’ve been having fun out there! It’s been torture not riding much over the past week or so. I can’t wait to get back out there.

We should organise a Boardworld shred day. What are everyone’s days off at the moment?

It’s been amazing so far, couldn’t have really asked for a better start to the season!

I’m free Tuesday-Fridays at the moment, but usually have some split shifts on the weekends if that suits others. Hopefully your healthy again soon Jez.

I have sat-mon off. at the whis park again tomox if yall keen…

Did first stalefish and hit first rail, did not eat shit either.

Also whis peak was incredible….

I took some friends from Australia up to Whistler Peak yesterday. It was an incredible day, indeed.

I heard Patrol saying there were 27,000 people on both mountains yesterday (total). Nuts!

This thread is killing me…. Just under 3 weeks to go…. metal

rider26 - 30 December 2015 05:47 AM

I took some friends from Australia up to Whistler Peak yesterday. It was an incredible day, indeed.

I heard Patrol saying there were 27,000 people on both mountains yesterday (total). Nuts!

Fernie had 5500 people on Monday and Tuesday (both days). Still no line longer than a few minutes and still pow to be found smile Can’t imagine what 27k would be like! (probably like Perisher on a wind hold weekend. Shoot me if I ever get that again!)