The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Why everyone should carry a rescue whistle on a powder day!

_This happened in Whistler a couple of days ago and the young man was lucky enough to be rescued by his friends just as he was starting to asphyxiate. While I am unsure of the exact details surrounding this situation, it does serve as a warning to all of us.

For the purpose of this post, I am talking specifically about riding in-bounds. Backcountry is a whole other ballgame I’m not going to get into right now.

If you’re going to ride in the trees (in-bounds) on a powder day, you should be riding with friends and carrying a rescue whistle at the very least. People die in tree wells — it’s a fact. If you happen to get stuck in a tree well, you’re trapped, unable to move, unable to reach for a phone, and every bit of energy is precious.

When you’re trapped, shouting out for help has two major problems. 1: your voice doesn’t travel far at all (ever tried calling out to someone in the trees?), and 2: it uses a lot of your energy to keep calling out.

This is the exact reason why we decided to stock rescue whistles in the Boardworld Store.

SOL Rescue Howler Whistle - 2 Pack
SOL Sharx Survival Whistle

These whistles are pea-less (so they can’t freeze up), they are super durable (“unbreakable”), they require minimal energy to use, they are multi-frequency, and they can be heard over a very long distance (miles)! A rescue whistle could quite simply be the difference between being rescued or being a statistic.

I’ve been talking to Michelle a lot lately about staying in audible contact in the trees, and how important it is. I’ve come up with a system using these whistles that I am going to start putting in practice. 1 blast means all OK - keep going. 2 blasts means I’m stuck but OK - please wait. 3 blasts (which is actually the universal distress call) means I am in need of immediate rescue.

Please watch these quick videos.

These whistles cost absolutely nothing compared to the other gear we buy for snowboarding. Do yourself and your friends a favour and buy some of these whistles and insist on everyone in your party carrying one! It should be attached to the outside of your jacket so you can access it easily in an emergency. As of now, I won’t ever be riding without one, and neither will Michelle. I urge all you to do the same.

Stay safe and have fun!

I was just saying to deano yesterday arvo that we need to get whistles, such a small, simple thing that could save your life

DylanV - 22 December 2015 02:23 PM

I was just saying to deano yesterday arvo that we need to get whistles, such a small, simple thing that could save your life

Please do. They cost nothing and could save your life as you’ve mentioned. Good on you, Dylan!

I agree!!!!!

One lucky lad!!!!!

Also a great reason to buy a backpack like the DaKine Heli Pro, as it’s got a built in whistle on the strap!!!!!

Got myself a BCA Transeiver too!!!!!

Yeah they cost a couple hundred or so, but you pay that for insurance, and insurance ain’t gonna find you in a tree well or under 3 meters of snow!!!!!

In the scheme of things, safety gear is so reasonable, and readily available, it’s only laziness that stops people from buyin it!!!!!

Nice one, Mizu. I bought myself a BCA Tracker3 before this season.

Speaking of backpacks, the Jones backpacks are awesome too!

Jones Deeper 18L Backpack
Jones Further 24L Backpack

Both of these have an integrated safety whistle.

This is great because I was always the last one in the trees if I ride with Jez and the crew hahaha :D

rider26 - 22 December 2015 03:51 PM

Nice one, Mizu. I bought myself a BCA Tracker3 before this season.

Speaking of backpacks, the Jones backpacks are awesome too!

Jones Deeper 18L Backpack
Jones Further 24L Backpack

Both of these have an integrated safety whistle.

Those packs are sweet!!!!!

And had I known that Boardworld were gonna sell the BCA Trackers, I woulda saved myself some dollars and got it here!!!!! ?

They’re so easy to stash in ya pocket, and with the possibility that it could very well save your life, I see them as a “why not” even around inbounds resort????? Especially where there’s pine trees, cornices, creeks, etc etc!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 22 December 2015 08:43 PM

They’re so easy to stash in ya pocket, and with the possibility that it could very well save your life, I see them as a “why not” even around inbounds resort????? Especially where there’s pine trees, cornices, creeks, etc etc!!!!!

It’s a valid point re: transceivers in-bounds. Avalanches can and do happen within resort boundaries. I know a few people who always wear theirs, and it’s not a bad habit to get into. That said, it’s of huge benefit if your riding party is also carrying and trained in self rescue. It’s probably the type of culture we should try to build within our own groups. I know a lot of the BW Whistler crew has taken their AST 1 and have taken an interest in backcountry safety, so we’re probably headed on the right path.

There was a guy who passed away on Saturday up at Tricouni Peak unfortunately.
Friends found him in a tree well and got him out in a few minutes but even after getting the airway clear and administering CPR he couldn’t be revived.

All the more reason to stay close in the trees, given how quick the snow has piled up and how hungry we all are to get after it.

I’ve always got the fox40 in my jacket pocket, goes straight on the zipper on powder days. I don’t care if I look like a kook, I’d rather be alive. I’ll be doing the same for my wife now that she’s started following me into the trees.

I got the 24L Further backpack earlier this year, best pack I’ve had. It fits so much in it for traveling, but can also pack down pretty flat for straight resort riding.  Highly recommend.

I’m very sorry to hear that, Backdoor. Just a thought… wearing an Avalung might be a good idea for in-bounds tree riding. It’s something you can wear all the time, doesn’t rely on batteries, and can buy you precious time while waiting for rescue (see: Backdoor’s post). It essentially draws oxygen from other parts of the snowpack, and removes your carbon dioxide from your limited air pocket around your face.

AVALUNG
Designed to help significantly extend your fresh air supply in the event of a burial, the time-tested AvaLung provides you with a lightweight, affordable and proven life-saving tool when traveling in avalanche terrain.

More on the story from this week’s Pique.

I’ve been reading up on these Avalungs since the above post (thanks Jez).  I actually saw a couple of Japanese guys using these on our last Heli trip in NZ last August although I wasn’t sure what they were for (they were in a different group to us).

Couple of questions; can you integrate one of these into a regular backpack, such as a Jones Further or a Heli-Pro?  Basically any pack with a hydration pack tube interface in the strap?

Or do you need to buy a dedicated Black Diamond pack?

I really like the idea of it as I’ll be hitting trees in Whistler and Japan in the new few weeks, but I’d like it to be in my pack and not have to “wear it” if that makes sense…

Edit: I did some more reading and basically you either buy the Avalung-integrated Black Diamond pack (in most cases you buy the pack and then the Avalung “element” separately for an extra $100or so) OR you buy the sling which you just wear over your jacket and then a pack on top if you still want to ride with one for shovel etc.

I did find this ghetto DIY setup though to attach it to a regular pack…

Hughman666 - 04 January 2016 09:27 PM

I’ve been reading up on these Avalungs since the above post (thanks Jez).  I actually saw a couple of Japanese guys using these on our last Heli trip in NZ last August although I wasn’t sure what they were for (they were in a different group to us).

Couple of questions; can you integrate one of these into a regular backpack, such as a Jones Further or a Heli-Pro?  Basically any pack with a hydration pack tube interface in the strap?

Or do you need to buy a dedicated Black Diamond pack?

I really like the idea of it as I’ll be hitting trees in Whistler and Japan in the new few weeks, but I’d like it to be in my pack and not have to “wear it” if that makes sense…

Edit: I did some more reading and basically you either buy the Avalung-integrated Black Diamond pack (in most cases you buy the pack and then the Avalung “element” separately for an extra $100or so) OR you buy the sling which you just wear over your jacket and then a pack on top if you still want to ride with one for shovel etc.

I did find this ghetto DIY setup though to attach it to a regular pack…

I could be wrong but I don’t think it works that way. I think it has to be worn (or used in the dedicated pack), otherwise it won’t be able to put your CO2 into other areas of the snowpack. Don’t take this as a certainty—but it’s my guess. I’ll see what I can find out.

I think your “Edit” paragraph is correct.

I had a dream about a whistle last night and now after reading this, I am getting one.
We are expecting 5-10ft of snow in the next week, time to get smart!

Thanks for the reminder!

rider26 - 28 December 2015 05:37 AM

I’m very sorry to hear that, Backdoor.

just reread my post, wasn’t too clear. Wasn’t my friends that found the guy, it was his friends. The group he was up at the cat operation with, unfortunately included his wife and kids. Terrible for them.

My wife popped her kneecap out on Whistler a few years ago, first run on a 50cm day. Don’t ask me how, I caught it on the gopro and it looked like any other fall. Anyway, there was a doctor on the mountain that day and the patrollers were hoping we could get him over to relocate the patella before moving her.
But Doc and bunch of other patrollers had their hands full trying to revive a fella in his 50’s who had been found on his own in a well. Saw the coroner at the medical center when we finally got down there to get my wife’s knee sorted out. Not the greatest thing to see. ‘Specially on a pow day.

Whistle = good.
Whistle + a buddy within sight = better.

Had a close call myself just after Chrissy. Landed face first just below a tree well after some dubious line choice and felt a good amount of snow drop down my wind pipe. Had a split-second glimpse down the hole as I was flying past, thought I was headed for a hole in one for sure. Very relieved to know I had my mate about 3m away, despite him laughing at the whole thing.

Ride smart out there