The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Perisher 2015

mattyp - 05 May 2015 10:15 PM

Thanks heaps Kim!
Iv sorted a lift from Byron though, I start on the 22nd.
Sooo early!!
Going to take my Freebord and shred Kozi rd!

So I hear on the grapevine that even though you have a lift your board doesn’t???

michelle

I better get a beer or two over the bar on the Saturday night!

brenno - 03 May 2015 03:34 PM

hi guys. im a former smigs pig….that’s what smigs lifties are known as by perisher staff for those that dont know.
great place to work, but the runs are short and nearly all green. newbies will be pullin Jbars or working the carpets.
old hands generally run the chair. weekends are chaos. usually 2 lifties will be at top of chair pretty much constantly
dragging people outa the unload before they get hit, or yelling at people who think its a good idea to strap in where they stop
at the bottom of the unload. when you get people, mostly kids, falling off Tbars straight after you load em, either try
to call someone up that can ride it with them and show them the ropes, or tell them to just relax their legs, suck up the bumps, and watch the box on the line in front of them. where ever they look is where they end up. look up and straight, that’s where they go.
look down at the nose of their board, down they go!
if your living in staff accom at smigs, hope you’ve got a good liver lol
being a liftie has its ups and downs. you will deal with the occasional knob, most probably a banker with a sense of
entitlement, that will whinge about liftlines, staff attitudes, crap food etc, but generally its all good! smigs pub rocks
once the lifts shut as well!
on a pow day, head up the main run, hike to the cornice if its there, and run off it down through the trees. or go north to the
the rocks and shoot down towards skiers left and end up near the top of the chair, then run through the gully.
enjoy!

Awesome post Brenno,

It’s my first full season and fist working season, i’ll be based at Smiggs and pretty sure i’ll be living in Willows. Just waiting on when traninng is going to start hopefully early next month. Sounds like staff accom is going to be awesome, can’t wait to start!

Yea cheers for the awesome info brenno. Just filled out my staff accom application with Willows as my 1st preference, sure as hell beats driving to the tube every day.

Guys I can def see the appeal for willows but go and read TJ tips in the falls thread.

Willows is VERY basic, you share a room with 3 beds and a tiny bathroom.

Pack the bare minimum - I was stunned by the lack of storage/ space that 3 people have too share!

But I can guarantee you will have a fun time!

ozgirl - 07 May 2015 09:48 PM

Guys I can def see the appeal for willows but go and read TJ tips in the falls thread.

Willows is VERY basic, you share a room with 3 beds and a tiny bathroom.

Pack the bare minimum - I was stunned by the lack of storage/ space that 3 people have too share!

But I can guarantee you will have a fun time!

I’m pretty sure Willows is the best accom if you don’t have a car though right? I’ll be heading to the hill without a car so need to be close to Smiggs.

leasha101 - 09 May 2015 07:32 PM

I’m pretty sure Willows is the best accom if you don’t have a car though right? I’ll be heading to the hill without a car so need to be close to Smiggs.

That was what I thought. I own a car but the cost of petrol/being over .00 in the mornings and being able to go night boarding when it’s on beats living in jindy/the station.

That was what I thought. I own a car but the cost of petrol/being over .00 in the mornings and being able to go night boarding when it’s on beats living in jindy/the station.

You save money in petrol, you spend money in food and alcohol. It’s time you save and space you lose.

Weigh them up when you’re making your choice.

I would probably stay in Willows too. But just managing your expectations about what is in the accom grin

ozgirl - 07 May 2015 02:38 PM
mattyp - 05 May 2015 10:15 PM

Thanks heaps Kim!
Iv sorted a lift from Byron though, I start on the 22nd.
Sooo early!!
Going to take my Freebord and shred Kozi rd!

So I hear on the grapevine that even though you have a lift your board doesn’t???

michelle

I better get a beer or two over the bar on the Saturday night!

Hahaha.  Yep! This is true.
Im also bootless..  boots are still at home but need to be returned for warrenty as they started leaking while in Japan.

But!  Beers are certainly on me Kim!  Thanks soo much!

I have a set of your boots with the board (and with your clothing and your helmet.. All in the board bag… Amy and I packed it (she had a box with everything in it..  And it was easier to fit it all into the board bag..))

There is 1 yellow and 1 purple boot..  Are they the ones your talking about?

h0z - 11 May 2015 02:13 PM

I have a set of your boots with the board (and with your clothing and your helmet.. All in the board bag… Amy and I packed it (she had a box with everything in it..  And it was easier to fit it all into the board bag..))

There is 1 yellow and 1 purple boot..  Are they the ones your talking about?

Refer to text message.
Thanks so much again!
Think I have a few beers owing to a few members now haha.

Well technically H0z no longer has it…

I have it.

But yeah - BEERS!

ordie - 06 May 2015 01:55 PM

Getting keen for the start of the season. Just wondering if anybody has had experience in staff accommodation and what its/what your favorite is if you have had experience with different places.

ordie, I lived in jindy with a bunch of mates. we used to car pool to share costs. as a smigs pig, you prob wont start work till late june as its the lowest hill/last to open. which also means first to melt/first to close. if that’s the case, work as long as you can, even if its 1 day a week in the back end. once you finish up, your pass is done as well.
if you live on the hill you may save petrol money, but the guys that lived at smigs I worked with were blind most nights lol
they were getting strict on coming to work hungover/still pissed and I think its worse now. I once rolled into the managers office at 730am drinking a bottle of coke. he said to me ’ if your gunna get on the piss, don’t drink coke this early, its a give away’
youll have the time of your life, and make some good mates along the way

leasha101 - 07 May 2015 05:23 PM
brenno - 03 May 2015 03:34 PM

hi guys. im a former smigs pig….that’s what smigs lifties are known as by perisher staff for those that dont know.
great place to work, but the runs are short and nearly all green. newbies will be pullin Jbars or working the carpets.
old hands generally run the chair. weekends are chaos. usually 2 lifties will be at top of chair pretty much constantly
dragging people outa the unload before they get hit, or yelling at people who think its a good idea to strap in where they stop
at the bottom of the unload. when you get people, mostly kids, falling off Tbars straight after you load em, either try
to call someone up that can ride it with them and show them the ropes, or tell them to just relax their legs, suck up the bumps, and watch the box on the line in front of them. where ever they look is where they end up. look up and straight, that’s where they go.
look down at the nose of their board, down they go!
if your living in staff accom at smigs, hope you’ve got a good liver lol
being a liftie has its ups and downs. you will deal with the occasional knob, most probably a banker with a sense of
entitlement, that will whinge about liftlines, staff attitudes, crap food etc, but generally its all good! smigs pub rocks
once the lifts shut as well!
on a pow day, head up the main run, hike to the cornice if its there, and run off it down through the trees. or go north to the
the rocks and shoot down towards skiers left and end up near the top of the chair, then run through the gully.
enjoy!

Awesome post Brenno,

It’s my first full season and fist working season, i’ll be based at Smiggs and pretty sure i’ll be living in Willows. Just waiting on when traninng is going to start hopefully early next month. Sounds like staff accom is going to be awesome, can’t wait to start!

I bought a share in a lodge at perisher this year. I cant wait for that! shares are waaay cheaper than youd think. shoulda got one years ago