The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Perisher 2015

ordie - 30 April 2015 08:40 PM

Matty ill be heading from bendigo up to jindy early june to start work so could probably sort something out if you were desperate

Sorry, just saw this!
At the moment Looking like its all sorted, but ill keep it in mind.
Thanks heaps

Good to see a few crew working Perisher this season!

For you Perisher Newbies, here is Smiggins (Yes, that’s the top and the bottom of Smiggins)

and here is the full Perisher size of the trail map:

So most likely working as a lifty means you will get most shifts on a T-bar or J-bar. Smiggins is a beginners area but from what I’ve heard from staff who have worked there, one of the best places for working conditions. Because it’s a beginner area, get real good on teaching newbies how to use a tbar. I generally stick to the “Put all your weight on your front foot and then just put your tip toe of your back foot on the board. Don’t move your back foot or you will fall off” method.

Make sure you look to the left of the top map too cause that’s the beginner park (Piper). Which you may need to work at as well.

Cons of Smiggins is that it generally has one of the shorter seasons for the mountain. Normally Perisher will open first, then Blue Cow, then Smiggins and Guthega last. In contrast Guthega will often shut first as the trails over there deteriorate and then Smiggins cause the snow disappears.

I’m sure you’ll all find your favourite places to ride but some of my favourites are:
Green:
Pleasant Valley (Blue Cow)
Pretty Valley (Perisher)
Piper Park (Smiggins)

Blue:
Mt Perisher double / Triple runs (Perisher)
Interceptor (Perisher / Blue Cow)
Guthega runs like Karl’s and Mother In Law (Guthega)
Leichart Park (Perisher)

Black:
Yarandoo (Blue Cow)
Jump City (Perisher)
Devil’s Playground (North Perisher)
Front Valley Park (Perisher)

Out of Bounds:
Past Shifty’s on Mt Perisher
(Though you need to walk back, and I don’t condone going out of bounds cause Kim will kill me wink)

TJswish - 02 May 2015 11:03 AM

For you Perisher Newbies, here is Smiggins (Yes, that’s the top and the bottom of Smiggins)

and here is the full Perisher size of the trail map:

So most likely working as a lifty means you will get most shifts on a T-bar or J-bar. Smiggins is a beginners area but from what I’ve heard from staff who have worked there, one of the best places for working conditions. Because it’s a beginner area, get real good on teaching newbies how to use a tbar. I generally stick to the “Put all your weight on your front foot and then just put your tip toe of your back foot on the board. Don’t move your back foot or you will fall off” method.

Make sure you look to the left of the top map too cause that’s the beginner park (Piper). Which you may need to work at as well.

Cons of Smiggins is that it generally has one of the shorter seasons for the mountain. Normally Perisher will open first, then Blue Cow, then Smiggins and Guthega last. In contrast Guthega will often shut first as the trails over there deteriorate and then Smiggins cause the snow disappears.

I’m sure you’ll all find your favourite places to ride but some of my favourites are:
Green:
Pleasant Valley (Blue Cow)
Pretty Valley (Perisher)
Piper Park (Smiggins)

Blue:
Mt Perisher double / Triple runs (Perisher)
Interceptor (Perisher / Blue Cow)
Guthega runs like Karl’s and Mother In Law (Guthega)
Leichart Park (Perisher)

Black:
Yarandoo (Blue Cow)
Jump City (Perisher)
Devil’s Playground (North Perisher)
Front Valley Park (Perisher)

Out of Bounds:
Past Shifty’s on Mt Perisher
(Though you need to walk back, and I don’t condone going out of bounds cause Kim will kill me wink)

Awesome info, thanks TJ

Cant wait to head to Perisher not only for work but i’ve never been before so it’s all going to be new :D

Smiggs Is great.  Good fun quick laps when riding with people new to riding!  And it’s usually pretty quiet compaired to the main hils!

And theres a pub at the bottom.

Like practically every other main run at Perisher.. haha

Anyone driving Sydney - Perisher mid-end of May?
Flights from Gold Coast to Canberra are rediculous!

hi guys. im a former smigs pig….that’s what smigs lifties are known as by perisher staff for those that dont know.
great place to work, but the runs are short and nearly all green. newbies will be pullin Jbars or working the carpets.
old hands generally run the chair. weekends are chaos. usually 2 lifties will be at top of chair pretty much constantly
dragging people outa the unload before they get hit, or yelling at people who think its a good idea to strap in where they stop
at the bottom of the unload. when you get people, mostly kids, falling off Tbars straight after you load em, either try
to call someone up that can ride it with them and show them the ropes, or tell them to just relax their legs, suck up the bumps, and watch the box on the line in front of them. where ever they look is where they end up. look up and straight, that’s where they go.
look down at the nose of their board, down they go!
if your living in staff accom at smigs, hope you’ve got a good liver lol
being a liftie has its ups and downs. you will deal with the occasional knob, most probably a banker with a sense of
entitlement, that will whinge about liftlines, staff attitudes, crap food etc, but generally its all good! smigs pub rocks
once the lifts shut as well!
on a pow day, head up the main run, hike to the cornice if its there, and run off it down through the trees. or go north to the
the rocks and shoot down towards skiers left and end up near the top of the chair, then run through the gully.
enjoy!

Smigs is fun, when it’s open and the link runs are I always park there as it’s a fun place to start and finish ur day. Piper is good fun as long as it’s not too windy as that can make the long flattish run out to the tbar a nightmare. Pow days there in the rock garden and cornice are super fun as well.

leasha101 - 01 May 2015 04:31 PM
ozgirl - 01 May 2015 04:17 PM

Wicked Leesha!
I am sure I will see you around. Will have to let us know which area/lift you will be working.

When do you start?

Yeah for sure we will have to catch up for a shred!
I’ll be working at Smiggin Holes and i’m not too sure yet when i’ll be starting should find that out next week.

Will make sure I find time to come over and say hi!

mattyp - 02 May 2015 11:27 PM

I head to Jindy/Perisher on the 23rd May.

Fly to Sydney that day and I will drive you down.

Could even put you up Thursday night if you want.

ozgirl - 04 May 2015 12:46 PM
mattyp - 02 May 2015 11:27 PM

I head to Jindy/Perisher on the 23rd May.

Fly to Sydney that day and I will drive you down.

Could even put you up Thursday night if you want.

Thanks heaps Kim!
Iv sorted a lift from Byron though, I start on the 22nd.
Sooo early!!
Going to take my Freebord and shred Kozi rd!

If you guys have staff around on the 23rd you should put a dinner on for us!

There will be 60 of us!

Perisher has begun making snow!

Perisher’s snowmaking team fired up the snowmaking system early this morning for the first time in 2015. Recent cold temperatures have created the perfect conditions for our snowmaking team to begin building the resort’s base in anticipation of opening weekend, June 6, which will mark the start of the Australian ski season.

John Palmer, Perisher Snowmaking Manager says, “The first snowmaking days of the year are always an exciting time. It generates lots of talk about the upcoming winter right through the industry. Perisher makes the most snow in Australia providing the best possible conditions for our guest’s right through the winter, and it’s nice to get an early start. We will continue to make snow at every opportunity now to make sure we kick of the season with good conditions for all.”

Perisher has invested over $25 million in snowmaking upgrades in recent years with the snowmaking system now covering 53.4 hectares across the resort.  236 snow-guns are spread across Perisher Valley as well as Smiggin Holes and Blue Cow. The recent upgrades have seen much of the snowmaking system become automated allowing Perisher to make even more snow across the resort and Tube Town to enhance our guests snow experience. It also ensures that Perisher continues to make snow more efficiently. 

Perisher’s higher elevation, excellent natural snow, advanced snowmaking system combined with its impressive grooming fleet, explains why Perisher is Australia’s favourite for dependable snow and the greatest variety of terrain across the four resort areas of Perisher Valley, Blue Cow, Smiggin Holes and Guthega.

ozgirl - 06 May 2015 09:26 AM

If you guys have staff around on the 23rd you should put a dinner on for us!

There will be 60 of us!

The pub opens on the 22nd for food!
Come on down!

Will be sure to let people know…

Hmmm
This might make me stay on the hill that night.

Getting keen for the start of the season. Just wondering if anybody has had experience in staff accommodation and what its/what your favorite is if you have had experience with different places.

Hey Ordie,

Check out Brenno’s post above for the Smiggs experience.