The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler Blackcomb 2014-2015 — Official Thread

I’ve just had the best couple of days here in Whistler. On Monday I went to the Blackcomb Glacier for the first time. Instantly became my favourite place out of both mountains. My first T-Bar experience was pretty funny. I fell over within about 5ft on my first go (in front of about 50 people) but nailed it on my second. That was the best snow I’d seen on the mountains in a long time.
Yesterday I went back up to Glacier and had a look around the crevasse for the first time. I was a bit late to the party but it was still pretty awesome. Then went down to Crystal Chair and went up that for the first time. Then we headed over to Harmony and lapped that for a few times.
If we get this predicted snowfall this week i’m definitely heading to the Glacier again first thing.

nice one buddy!! glad to hear you’re killing it.

james88 - 14 March 2015 11:27 AM

Thanks man, I’ll definitely be in touch if I run into any issues. And yeah I’ve read through your blog as well, really cool!

At this point I’m planning on 2 seasons (may or may not stay for Summer in between), thinking Sun Peaks for the first season and possibly Whistler for the second. I’m liking Sun Peaks as I have a few friends there, and as I mentioned in my other thread (about work at Perisher) I’ve still got a class at uni to complete this year so wouldn’t be able to fly out till mid/late November so figured it would be good to have some friends to help line up meetings or job opportunities rather than arrive at Whistler a bit late and possibly be behind the 8 ball.

Awesome guys. Like I always say, there are plenty of other mountains in Canada, it’s not like NSW where you got 2 to pick from.

Sun Peaks is cool but personally I think Fernie or Big White would be awesome places to go to as well so don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Both of these would be well up my list of options if I went back. Then there are the smaller mountains like Apex, Manning Park, Whitewater, Red, Golden, Kicking Horse etc that don’t get the same kind of interest that the big resorts get and you could grab a job there too.

My best advice if you do want Whistler is to arrive early and look around. Get to know a few long term stayers (And the BW crew) and try to get a job / house sorted. If you can’t by the start of the season, move on. Go to one of the other resorts, get some experience, show that you actually want to be at the snow and then go back for Summer. It’s cheaper in the summer, easier to organise and you can meet people. Then you’ll have a much easier time for a 2nd season trying the next winter.

Got some sweet pow pow up at Peak today! cheese

How was everyone else’s day?

Today was fun. Bumped into Basti while waiting in line at Showcase, decided to go up Horstman instead and do a lap of 7th with Dylan and Sean. Met up with Zoe, Lu, and a random guy at Showcase afterwards and did a good run down blackcomb glacier. Did a few laps of Crystal while watching Dylan and Basti drop some some cliffs :D.

You riding tomorrow, Rico?

I just picked up a brand new set of 2016 Now Pilot bindings. So hyped to ride them tomorrow!

No I’m not =(. Sweet, did you end up getting them from JF or just a couple days of for review?

JF gave them to me to ride for a while. I’m not sure what the deal is to be honest. I’m catching up with him in a couple of weeks after I’ve had time to ride them more.

And you still owe us the 2016 board reviews haha.

I’m so jealous of everyone that got to ride today. I was stuck on emerald all day and all I heard was how good it was at the top. Hopefully it snows again for Tuesday.

Does anyone have any advice on renting a property from craigslist? I’ve only ever rented properties from real estate agents, so is there anything I should look out for on the contract to make sure we don’t get screwed over?
We’re viewing a house on Tuesday in Bayshores, hopefully it’s the one and I can be out of the four seasons on May 1st.

Same as real estate agent really, just make sure the contract/lease is legit. Not asking for any dodgy upfront payments etc and hope for the best haha.

Plenty of my buddies are renting properties that where listed on craigslist.

Meet the person, view the house, come to an agreement and bobs your uncle.

The main benefit for them is that they don’t need to pay a real estate agent and therefore get more money out of it.

Similar to Stayz or Air BnB if you’re looking for a place to stay for a holiday in Jindy… (My bro makes his place cheaper and still makes more than he did through a realestate.

While they could potentially screw you over, they also leave themselves a whole lot more venerable too. So be nice, take care of the place and pay the rent on time and everyone will be happy.

Such a fun day riding with Finney and Shaner. Lapped Peak a bunch. Found lots of fresh snow. Great weekend. The Now Pilot bindings are sick. So nice to be back on Now.  thumbsup

Feels like winter is finally here!!!!!!!  ollie  ollie  ollie

Totally, man. What a great weekend. The alpine is in good shape.