The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Poll & Discussion : Steeze Vs Safety - Do you wear a helmet?

Poll: Steeze or Safety?
Total Votes: 34
I always wear a helmet (love my brain).
Helmets are steezy.
I’m too fresh for a lid.
Only on icey days or in the park.
Never really thought about it.

I am fortunate enough to just have SandBox hook me up with some dope gear, including a new helmet which got me thinking (and writing a new short blog post) .

http://www.sandboxland.com

Regardless of the sport being Skateboarding, Snowboarding, BMX etc.

Do you compromise your style for a helmet? OR do you think helments are steezy?

I’m interested to know people’s personal opinions on safety in the sport and what you personally do.

STEEZE VS SAFETY? IS THERE A COMPROMISE?

I am sure many of us have seen The Crash Reel?

Hmmm interesting timing Stella,

I have been holding back from going on a helmet rant on here.

I was at a very traumatic incident at Thredbo on Saturday (the guy was choppered off the mountain and is STILL in ICU in Canberra hospital)

The majority of the incidents I have responded to on the mountain over the past 4 years have been head injuries (yes it probably the worst kept secret on BW that I am a Patroller).

I don’t understand why people don’t wear helmets.

The guy on Saturday (this is all pieced together from witness’ after the event) was apparently trying to keep up with his much more advanced mates who were bombing down the mountain. Lost control and ended up in the trees with no helmet on.

I am not sure how much later those poor guys found out their mate had been choppered off the mountain because they left him for dead literally!

He had ended up in the trees after losing control. He was not purposely in the tree’s.

His mates nowhere to be found.

This incident makes me think of so many things to rant about, I am trying to rein it in.

I always wear a helmet and it feels no different to wearing a beanie for me.  I think there is enough of a range available now that people can still be ‘stylish’ while protecting their noggin.

I don’t care what anyone thinks about my opinion, but I believe helmets should be mandatory. I don’t know why anyone WOULDN’T wear one!

I too have a Sandbox lid and find it extremely comfortable shaka

I love my brain. It’s the only one I’ve got.

Too many close calls, helmet is the go. Borf still won’t wear one though - grrrrrr

I think that with the introduction of Sandbox’s funky peaked helmets, its really boosted the “cool” factor of wearin a bucket on ya head 100 fold!!!!!

I think that the Pro’s of the Snowboarding World really should step up to the plate, and don a helmet!!!!! After all, if kids see their idol wearin one, there’s a good chance they’ll follow suit!!!!!

Never really understood why sports like MX and FMX its cool, but Snowboarding has that little bit of uncool stigma that’s still associated with wearin a brain blocker!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 05 August 2014 09:53 AM

I think that the Pro’s of the Snowboarding World really should step up to the plate, and don a helmet!!!!! After all, if kids see their idol wearin one, there’s a good chance they’ll follow suit!!!!!

THIS!

Yep I always wear a helmet when snowboarding and have been thankful for it more than a few times with some decent head slams.

I’m actually picking up a new helmet this afternoon as my original is probably due for replacement.

Natural selection will sort out people who don’t think it’s “steezy” enough but I cringe every time I see people who wear their helmet with the strap at it’s loosest setting and the helmet flopping around on the back of their head, likely to do more harm than good.

On the other hand I don’t wear a helmet when riding my bike around town but would if I was doing a longer road ride, and there’s been times I wished I wore a helmet surfing but the way I surf I’d be best off wrapped in bubble wrap.

I wear a helmet these days. After a couple of close calls, I decided I was a fool for not wearing one earlier. So I always wear one now. I must say it gives me a bit more confidence too. A good helmet is warm, comfortable, and looks good as well.

Won’t be surprised if it becomes a rule on the mountains before too long. Liability is always a tricky one to get around, if someone gets hurt they almost always try to find someone to blame. By forcing helmets, there is more protection for the mountains.

And in my books, if I travel at 94.1km/h (recorded on my phone with Alpine Recall) which is faster than most roads I travel on my motorbike on (which I need a helmet by law), And well faster than I would dare to go on a pushbike (which requires a helmet by law) than I say it should be a rule of all mountains!

Beginners might not be able to go as fast but are more likely to fall and therefore should need a helmet more as well!

As a lifty in Sun Peaks and we had to ride with a helmet while in uniform (or be on parking duty). If staff are doing it, guests are more likely as well.

Next year I believe it will be mandatory for all staff to wear a helmet at Perisher .

I can’t remember the main reason why the resorts don’t make it mandatory. (i have heard it a few times)

the best they will ever do is make it mandatory for all lesson BUT that could mean a drop in adults doing lessons.

It is already the compulsory at most resorts around the world for case for kids.

the best we can do is encourage newbies.

I told my housemate she wasn’t get a free ticket if she didn’t wear a helmet.

She apparently whinged to her boyfriend and his answer was “good”

Ive never worn one, which i look back on now think is stupid, especially in the park. Im looking into getting one for my next trip down to Perisher.

There’s some pretty dope looking ones out there (notably sandbox and bern)

Treasure your brain ladies and gents! its the only one you got!

^^ good boy.

I held my tongue the other week since It was only our first meeting!

^^ But next time you’re in trouble, Aaron! wink

Whistler Blackcomb used to let us teach in beanies, which I always did. Then they introduced compulsory helmets if you’re teaching in the park. Now it’s just compulsory for instructors to wear helmets all the time.

ozgirl - 05 August 2014 10:57 AM

Next year I believe it will be mandatory for all staff to wear a helmet at Perisher .

I can’t remember the main reason why the resorts don’t make it mandatory. (i have heard it a few times)

With Workcover and today’s OH&S regulations its inevitable!!!!!

If I don’t wear a helmet at work, I don’t have a job!!!!!

That’s because your head is too shiny and distracts the other workers. smirk

ozgirl - 05 August 2014 11:02 AM

^^ good boy.

I held my tongue the other week since It was only our first meeting!

Haaa!! Dearly noted Kim! wink