The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Poll & Discussion : Steeze Vs Safety - Do you wear a helmet?

Poll: Steeze or Safety?
Total Votes: 34
I always wear a helmet (love my brain).
Helmets are steezy.
I’m too fresh for a lid.
Only on icey days or in the park.
Never really thought about it.
rider26 - 05 August 2014 11:09 AM

That’s because your head is too shiny and distracts the other workers. smirk

LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL

That’s because shiny things are always valuable!!!!!

As opposed to dull, ugly things that lack appeal!!!!!

I reckon they wouldn’t even notice if you had a helmet on or not if you worked here!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 05 August 2014 11:08 AM
ozgirl - 05 August 2014 10:57 AM

Next year I believe it will be mandatory for all staff to wear a helmet at Perisher .

I can’t remember the main reason why the resorts don’t make it mandatory. (i have heard it a few times)

With Workcover and today’s OH&S regulations its inevitable!!!!!

If I don’t wear a helmet at work, I don’t have a job!!!!!

yeah thats the reason behind Perisher making it compulsory for all staff.

i believe this year it was compulsory for all snowsports instructors.

I should have said

“I can’t remember the main reason why the resorts don’t make it mandatory for guests.”

With liability and insurance, its only a matter of time before they’ll have no other option!!!!!

rider26 - 05 August 2014 11:04 AM

^^ But next time you’re in trouble, Aaron! wink

Yep

surferguy56 - 05 August 2014 10:58 AM

Im looking into getting one for my next trip down to Perisher.

&

Quoted for prosperity!

Although don’t think that cause you wrote Perisher it means you can ride any other resort in the future without one

michelle

Mizu Kuma - 05 August 2014 11:16 AM

That’s because shiny things are always valuable!!!!!

As opposed to dull, ugly things that lack appeal!!!!!

I reckon they wouldn’t even notice if you had a helmet on or not if you worked here!!!!!

People I know think outside the square!!!!!

*snort*

ozgirl - 05 August 2014 11:31 AM
rider26 - 05 August 2014 11:04 AM

^^ But next time you’re in trouble, Aaron! wink

Yep

surferguy56 - 05 August 2014 10:58 AM

Im looking into getting one for my next trip down to Perisher.

&

Quoted for prosperity!

Although don’t think that cause you wrote Perisher it means you can ride any other resort in the future without one

michelle

Yes drill Sargent   tongue laugh

I wear one for a few reasons..  The main obviously being safety…  but also.. I don’t have to pick what beanie I wear..  I don’t get hat/beanie hair as bad (readjusting with goggle straps ontop made for matted hair! My headphones have been put into my ear covers…  and I actually think they are really comfy and actually look alright (I have a sandbox that I’ve sticker bombed!

As a few people have mentioned.. You have to wear a helmet while on a push bike… Why not on snow… (I go much faster and do more stupid things on a board than I do on a bike..

h0z - 05 August 2014 01:07 PM

As a few people have mentioned.. You have to wear a helmet while on a push bike… Why not on snow… (I go much faster and do more stupid things on a board than I do on a bike..

This leads into an interesting topic, does wearing a helmet make you push the boundaries further thus resulting in greater chance of injury??

That is an interesting topic..

I think i was reading somewhere on here about just sucking it up and flying over a jump (and not hesitating)

I think wearing a helmet helps you do that and not hesitating means less injury IMO

I don’t think i do anything more crazy since wearing a helmet. I just feel safer flying thru the tree’s - and again hesitate less.

I don’t think I go on steeper terrain just because i wear a helmet.

surferguy56 - 05 August 2014 01:30 PM

This leads into an interesting topic, does wearing a helmet make you push the boundaries further thus resulting in greater chance of injury??

Wearing a helmet gives me more confidence sometimes, which I think can actually reduce injuries in certain situations. For example, you don’t question yourself, you don’t hesitate, you commit… which are all helpful in reducing injuries. Sometimes the “go hard or go home” mentality actually works in your favour.

That said, it’s a fine line between having confidence and taking unnecessary risks. A helmet won’t save you from stupidity.

I guess it just boils down riding within your limits. If it doesnt feel right hitting that 60ft booter or down kink rail when you’re still learning to jump or or slide on a flat box then don’t do it. You can’t fix stupid wink

surferguy56 - 05 August 2014 01:30 PM

Yes!