The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Poll & Discussion : Steeze Vs Safety - Do you wear a helmet?

Poll: Steeze or Safety?
Total Votes: 34
I always wear a helmet (love my brain).
Helmets are steezy.
I’m too fresh for a lid.
Only on icey days or in the park.
Never really thought about it.

CURRENT Terms and Conditions.
WAIVER OF RIGHT TO SUE - YOUR ASSUMPTION OF RISK - THESE CONDITIONS AFFECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS!

Falls Creek Ski Lifts Pty Ltd and Mount Hotham Skiing Company Pty Ltd being the Suppliers of recreational services in the Falls Creek Alpine Resort and the Mount Hotham Alpine Resort respectively supply and sell all Fall Creek Hotham Snow Pass Media and all such services including skiing, snowboarding, tobogganing, snowtubing, skiing and snowboarding lessons, snow making, snow grooming, the use of chair lifts, t-bars, poma lifts, moving carpets, rope tows, helicopter flights between the resorts, the condition, layout, design, construction, maintenance, grooming and use of ski/snowboard slopes and surrounds, including the presence of people or objects thereon or nearby, and all other associated sporting activities or similar leisure time pursuits (recreational activities) subject to the following conditions:

1.            By purchasing or participating in any recreational activities or by using any of the above facilities or services, in either the Falls Creek Alpine Resort or the Mount Hotham Alpine Resort, you are deemed to agree to these conditions.

2.            The Suppliers, their employees, directors and agents are not liable to you, your dependants or legal representatives for personal injury or death suffered by you due to the recreational activities not being supplied with due care and skill or not being reasonably fit for their purpose or for breach of any other of the consumer guarantees applied by the Australian Consumer Law (Victoria), or due to the negligence, breach of contract or statute or statutory duty by the Suppliers.

3.        You acknowledge that the recreational activities are dangerous with many inherent risks and hazards and as a consequence personal injury and sometimes death can occur and you assume and accept all such risks and hereby waive the right to sue the Suppliers for any personal injury or death in any way whatsoever caused by or arising from your participation in such activities;

4.        You acknowledge that:

4.1   The Suppliers strongly recommend that all skiers and snowboarders wear accredited helmets whenever skiing or snowboarding and also recommend that snowboarders wear wristguards;

4.2   The wearing of an accredited helmet is compulsory for:

(a)  all persons participating in skiing or snowboarding lessons in terrain, rail or half pipes, freestyle or freeform lessons or programs, ski or snowboard racing, race training and skiercross or boardercross; and

(b)  all children aged 3 to 14 years whilst participating in ski and snowboard school lessons or in any other snow sports program.

4.3 You hereby waive the right to sue the Suppliers for any head or brain injuries and loss or damage you may suffer due to your failure to wear an accredited helmet as recommended and required by sub paragraphs 4.1 and 4.2 and you also agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Suppliers against any claims by your dependents for any loss or damage suffered by them due to your failure to wear an accredited helmet.

Mudhoney - 01 September 2014 04:02 PM

Since this is effectively lowering their costs, I want to see a discount for next season’s ticket!

Well you didn’t!

LMB - 01 September 2014 07:01 PM
beachndogs - 01 September 2014 06:42 PM
LMB - 01 September 2014 04:50 PM

I’m wondering if the insurers have pushed for it,

Doubt it was the insurers. No aussie policy requires a helmet to make a claim, unless it is set down as designated safety equipment required to ride the hill.
Not to mention head injuries make up such a small number of claims. Did not see one in my year working the emergency medical desk of the company that asseses most aussie claims.  You’re mostly looking at leg/arm injuries.

Yeah…but are those claims from people to their travel insurer?
They’re not claims against the resort are they?
Only claim I’ve heard about in recent years was the doctor v chairlift incident at Perisher…I’m sure there’s more…. slip and falls in the village etc but I’d have assumed most of those would fall under the category of ‘at your own risk’. 

Is this change as big and rad as the new policy on phones on planes? wink

Yeah I thought of that and we used to look at heaps if diff stats including all injuries suffered at resorts, their mechanism and other boring shit haha and head injuries just didn’t equate.  Dunno thou hey, insurers are c**ts so it’s very possible haha

don’t even get me started about phones on planes teacherboy

would have thought that Falls and Hotham would have similar T &C as they have the same parent company…. not so. Nothing in there about helmets for Falls, Thredbo, Buller that I can see.
No wonder we see so many riders at hotham wearing helmets!

Got a bit wayward and forgot about this thread….

Alot of interesting discussion, noticed that every shredd there are more people buying helmets… I really think they are becoming a fashion statement now.

So many people have commented on my camo Sandbox helmet, saying how much they love it. (As do I).

Times are changing and I like it… I think my friends are sick of me grilling them about not wearing a helmet when riding park that they have all borrowed or brought one now.

That or they run away from me before I get a chance to tell them how stupid they are.

Stellvadore - 21 September 2014 11:10 PM

Alot of interesting discussion, noticed that every shredd there are more people buying helmets… I really think they are becoming a fashion statement now.

So many people have commented on my camo Sandbox helmet, saying how much they love it. (As do I).

Times are changing and I like it… I think my friends are sick of me grilling them about not wearing a helmet when riding park that they have all borrowed or brought one now.

That or they run away from me before I get a chance to tell them how stupid they are.

I need you to nag my idiot son.
When I do it it’s just overprotective Mama.
He was playing in the park all season sans helmet….got lucky.  mizu

When it becomes ‘not cool’ with the ladies who shred for the boys that shred to not protect their brains…then we’ll get all but a few wearing helmets.

LMB - 22 September 2014 10:22 AM
Stellvadore - 21 September 2014 11:10 PM

I need you to nag my idiot son.
When I do it it’s just overprotective Mama.
He was playing in the park all season sans helmet….got lucky.  mizu

When it becomes ‘not cool’ with the ladies who shred for the boys that shred to not protect their brains…then we’ll get all but a few wearing helmets.

Well it looks like then it is my duty as a lady shredder to continue the brain love!
I don’t just observe my buddies shredding without helmets, I tell them they are idiots!

Also remind them that when I am waiting for them at the bottom of a kicker, I don’t want to be lunging to unclip myself and stop a heart attack after trying to figure out if they are dead or just knocked themselves out on a 50ft jump…  Picking up the yard sale is hard enough, let alone trying to then figure out how to get an ambulance/ski patrol there stat.

I don’t want to call their mothers… But seriously, helmets ARE cool.

Selfish yes, but whatever it takes.