The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What board size should i go? 

Hey guys,

Been riding for a few years and looking to upgrade from my 09 Burton Clash. Been doing a fair bit of research and i really want to go with the Jones Mountain Twin (2014). Its very hard to get hold of this board in the size i want and will have to get it shipped over from the US. The only two options i have found so far are a 154 and a 158w. So i need your help to decide if the 154 will be to small or will the 158w be to wide?? 

I’m 181cm, 76kg and size 11 boots.

-Old board (Clash) - 158cm with a waist width of 252mm.
-Mountain twin 1 - 154cm with a waist width of 250mm.
-Mountain twin 2 - 158cm with a waist width of 258mm.

Would i really notice the 6mm width difference between my old board and the 158w?

Cheers.

Welcome to Boardworld, Benno02.

What boots do you have exactly? Some have bigger footprints than others.

My initial thought is you don’t want to be on a 258mm waist. It’s unnecessarily large, and yes it can make a noticeable difference (more sluggish edge to edge).

What size do you want? 157? That’s probably what I would have put you on. Let me do a search for you and see if we can find it in Australia.

Hey Ben - stoked your looking at grabbing a Jones - the Mountain twin will not disappoint, its an amazing board!

Size wise….you can actually use these boards in a very ‘broad range’ of applications & sizes (as they are super versatile).  If your riding is free style focussed, then riding a shorter board can be of benefit to you as its more manoeuvrable.  If your riding is more all mountain focussed, then a longer board will provide more stability when riding at speed (and of course more float in soft snow).  I am sure you could ride a 154 and 158 for everything, but there is no doubt that you will see distinct benefits for each board in different aspects of riding.  My advise would be to go for a longer board - the 157/158 range does not seem too long for your height/weight, and you will find that is it surprisingly manoeuvrable due to it’s CAMrock profile (that is the real advantage of CAMrock, the camber placed underfoot makes this board behave like a ‘cambered board’ when your carving, yet the rocker placed in the tip/tail make this board loose and co operative at slower speeds, just like a ‘rockered board’).

Our AUS/NZ accounts have the 2015 model currently in stock, and there may be some 2014 ones kicking around somewhere (if you prefer that graphic).  Let me know if you need help finding one, so we can make sure you keep supporting the AUS/NZ snowboard scene as much as possible!!

CHEERS.

rider26 - 30 July 2014 09:25 AM

Welcome to Boardworld, Benno02.

What boots do you have exactly? Some have bigger footprints than others.

My initial thought is you don’t want to be on a 258mm waist. It’s unnecessarily large, and yes it can make a noticeable difference (more sluggish edge to edge).

What size do you want? 157? That’s probably what I would have put you on. Let me do a search for you and see if we can find it in Australia.

I have Forum ‘The Kicker’ boots. Just measured them and they are 312mm long. So even with the 158 model with 258mm waist i still get approx 25mm overhang each side.. That should be okay, right?

I agree with you i think the 157cm with 253mm waist would be a perfect fit for me but i can’t find it anywhere in Aus or the US. Do you know if any companies would be able to order a board in for me?

amine - 30 July 2014 09:47 AM

Hey Ben - stoked your looking at grabbing a Jones - the Mountain twin will not disappoint, its an amazing board!

Size wise….you can actually use these boards in a very ‘broad range’ of applications & sizes (as they are super versatile).  If your riding is free style focussed, then riding a shorter board can be of benefit to you as its more manoeuvrable.  If your riding is more all mountain focussed, then a longer board will provide more stability when riding at speed (and of course more float in soft snow).  I am sure you could ride a 154 and 158 for everything, but there is no doubt that you will see distinct benefits for each board in different aspects of riding.  My advise would be to go for a longer board - the 157/158 range does not seem too long for your height/weight, and you will find that is it surprisingly manoeuvrable due to it’s CAMrock profile (that is the real advantage of CAMrock, the camber placed underfoot makes this board behave like a ‘cambered board’ when your carving, yet the rocker placed in the tip/tail make this board loose and co operative at slower speeds, just like a ‘rockered board’).

Our AUS/NZ accounts have the 2015 model currently in stock, and there may be some 2014 ones kicking around somewhere (if you prefer that graphic).  Let me know if you need help finding one, so we can make sure you keep supporting the AUS/NZ snowboard scene as much as possible!!

CHEERS.

Thanks for your response. I feel really good about the selection of a CAMrock board, just love the versatility it offers.

I’ve had a look at the 2015 twin and love the look of it but it seems that they have stripped back some of the tech features this year. Correct me if I’m wrong but the 2015 model has a downgraded core, lack of stringers and no 20mm setback.  These are some of the reasons why I’m leaning towards the 2014 model, plus i was hoping to get it a little cheaper now the new model is out.

Yep i defiantly would prefer to support a aus/nz store over shipping from US, it was more a case of struggling to find any 2014 jones twins in Aus. If you have any suggestions on stores that may be able to help me out??

Thanks again guys.

Is it the 157 model you’re after, Benno?

Hey Ben - regarding the board’s changes form 1314 to 1415, I would say that it definitely has been UPGRADED (and ‘refined’)!!!  The main constriction changes are;

- the base got upgraded, so it was fast in 1314, but its REALLY FAST in 1415 (sintered 7200)

- the core got upgraded, and is lighter for 1415 (we actually revamped most cores in our line, and they are all quite a bit lighter, but still FSC approved!)

- the tip/tail shapes have been refined (made thinner, which = lighter), and to combat any ‘softening’ that may have occurred, an extra fibreglass layer was added to the tip/tail areas (which is visible when you inspect the topsheet), which is why the carbon stringers were not needed anymore!

So overall, this board went form being a ‘great ride’ to now being an incredible ride!!!!  Everyone who has demo’d the new 1415 board has LOVED IT!!!! And based on how well the 1314 board sold in aus/nz for 1314 that it may be hard to find - but the upgraded 1415 model is available right now!  You wont be disappointed.

amine - 31 July 2014 11:09 AM

Hey Ben - regarding the board’s changes form 1314 to 1415, I would say that it definitely has been UPGRADED (and ‘refined’)!!!  The main constriction changes are;

- the base got upgraded, so it was fast in 1314, but its REALLY FAST in 1415 (sintered 7200)

- the core got upgraded, and is lighter for 1415 (we actually revamped most cores in our line, and they are all quite a bit lighter, but still FSC approved!)

- the tip/tail shapes have been refined (made thinner, which = lighter), and to combat any ‘softening’ that may have occurred, an extra fibreglass layer was added to the tip/tail areas (which is visible when you inspect the topsheet), which is why the carbon stringers were not needed anymore!

So overall, this board went form being a ‘great ride’ to now being an incredible ride!!!!  Everyone who has demo’d the new 1415 board has LOVED IT!!!! And based on how well the 1314 board sold in aus/nz for 1314 that it may be hard to find - but the upgraded 1415 model is available right now!  You wont be disappointed.

Wow!! That sure put my limited knowledge to shame!!  smile I think you have just convinced me to just get the 1415 Mountain twin instead of trying to get the older version.

One last question if you don’t mind, I’ve found someone that can get me the limited edition mountain twin. Surly paying the extra $30 is worth it for an upgrade to master core, added carbon stringers and a wood top sheet? I was just wondering what affect this would have on the board? Will it change the flex or aggression of the board at all?

Again thanks for all the great info.

There are many sizes are available which you can buy according to your requirements and I would say that you should go for the free and minimum size or details can be found on aussie review where you can see the latest review about educational purposes for your own educatons