The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Another “help me pick a new board” thread

Hi all

Yep - this is another which board thread. I’m female, 170cm tall and weigh about 64kg. I currently ride a Burton Feather 148 with Burton Stiletto bindings (my first board) that I got from a friend who upgraded to a new board for this season.

I am an intermediate rider just getting the hang of blue runs and starting to have a play with riding switch, some flatground tricks and some small air time. I prefer riding groomers and now getting off into the trees to explore a bit as well. Interested in learning some smaller jumps and flat ground tricks but this definitely isn’t my priority.

I’d like a board that will also work well for a Canada trip I’m hoping goes ahead for next year as well, so I’m thinking about 151cm for board length. This length seems to be a little less common in ladies boards but I’m not too worried about it being a ladies board or not if it suits me and my riding.

Camber wise I am thinking either rocker - (going by the Boardworld guide description of being good for learning flatground tricks. Another huge advantage is how well they float in powder) or the hybrid type A (for a little more versatility).
AND - I’m interested in getting some new bindings as well - but I have no idea where to even start thinking about bindings! (I’m a size 9.5 ladies boot).

Appreciate any advice on offer or thoughts about my current line of thinking.
grin  punch

Hey geniass!!!!!

I’m gonna call a GNU Velvet Guru for a go to board that fits ya wants!!!!!

And couple it up with a pair of FLUX GL Binders!!!!! (Get Jez to sort ya out a deal on these if he’s got any left in the Store)

You’ll be buttering up the hill with this setup, yet still be able to hold an edge on ice, stomp that trick, and float like a butterfly when the pow gets thick on the ground!!!!! shaka

Hey geniass,

It sounds like you have a good idea of what you want, which is great. There’s no reasons not to follow your instinct.

I like Mizu’s suggestion of a GNU board; they do the “hybrid A” profiles very well. My suggestion would be to go for a board with a sintered base, however, especially if you are riding in locations like Whistler in Canada. Actually, if you’re going to be riding powder, it would be my suggestion to go for a sintered base regardless. A sintered base is faster and holds momentum better; great for keeping speed on cattracks and also in powder (less getting stuck).

Check out the GNU Ladies Smart Pickle: http://www.gnu.com/snowboards/ladies-smart-pickle/

The Smart Pickle is very close to a full rocker but has flat/mild camber in the nose and tail. So it would be heaps of fun to ride and float great in powder. It also featured an asymmetrical sidecut and stacked with other features including the sintered base.

In regards to size, don’t be scared to step it up a bit. In my opinion, way too many females ride boards shorter than they should. I think the 152 would actually suit perfectly for your specs and for riding in Canada.