The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Thredbo 2013

XcamAus is great grin

And that day ticket, already posted it on my mates FB grin

Thanks Danny.

I’m getting excited for winter now.
My daughter was all snow talk over the weekend - it inspired me to get my shit together.

Stopped at the bank, after dropping her to school this morn, to get loan application (consolidate all my other loans). Will save me about $500 a month - enough to pay for a few weekend trips for her.
I also have spoken with a Thredbo contact who is interested in giving me casual work when on other dates I decide to be there.

A couple more weeks and things will start falling in place, then I can start planning my winter assault.

That’s awesome, saving 500 bucks!!
Your daughter must be thrilled

What would this casual work be involving? sounds convenient as!

DannyB - 22 May 2013 12:59 PM

When you’ve been at the snow and know as many people in Thredbo as Spaz, this is quite easy…

I was with Spaz for like 1 night when we chucked a snowy… and the amount of people we had to stop and chat to…

My record is being offered my first job within 4mins of arriving, 3 in the first 20min.

Could be just about anything, It’s my choice really. Barman, waiter, cook, cleaner, photographer, videographer, editor, barista, retail, extreme pizza delivery. Depends how much money I want to earn, who the boss is.

TJswish - 22 May 2013 01:53 PM
DannyB - 22 May 2013 12:59 PM

When you’ve been at the snow and know as many people in Thredbo as Spaz, this is quite easy…

I was with Spaz for like 1 night when we chucked a snowy… and the amount of people we had to stop and chat to…

Yeah true, would get that way after years! smile

HAHA, the evil inconvenient side lurks…

Surprisingly all anyone needs is to be located near the snow.
My many years gives me the advantage that employers know even if I’m only going to be around every second week THAT I WONT BAIL ON THEM.

The biggest problem employers face is staff leaving.
-The first crop vacate an few weeks in because it’s not what they expected.
-The second crop go because of injury -broken bones wont heel before season finishes. A big percent of this happens in July (after school hols) when staff find more time to go snowboarding/skiing.
-Third, as shit happens. Relationships, issues with boss, drink all their money… etc.

For July school hols; most places are short staffed, thats when knowing people helps to pick up a week or 2 work.
In August ; staff that have survived, want time off to hit the snow so I pick up odd shifts in a variety of roles. With so many living in Jindy one can find a night job filling shifts.
September everyone is cutting back, there is the odd shift to help skeleton staff on weekends.

Ok Thredbo peeps. Probably a fairly basic question but figured I better confirm.

Let’s just say I want to visit Thredbo for either a swim in the pool or a dinner out before heading back to Jindy to sleep.

Can I actually get into Thredbo without chains, and would I need to pay a NP entry fee?

Yes NP fee.
You’ll only need chains if it absolutely puking and they aren’t plowing the roads.

spaz - 23 May 2013 10:23 AM

Yes NP fee.
You’ll only need chains if it absolutely puking and they aren’t plowing the roads.

Ahh ok bummer about the NP fee, certainly ups the cost of dinner.

Chains wise I more meant legally like could I be pulled over for a chain check?

Yep only compulsory to carry chains beyond Thredbo.

But if puking then they may not let you beyond the “Must put chains on here” signs, thats IF they have a road block set up.

ozgirl - 23 May 2013 10:25 AM

But if puking then they may not let you beyond the “Must put chains on here” signs, thats IF they have a road block set up.

Ok well that’s good news, Obviously I would check weather before setting out.

Are you sure?  I thought it was as soon as you entered the NP gates just after the ski tube turn off that you legally had to carry chains

Plus, the chains don’t actually need to fit your car. but if you need to put them on you’re fkd lol.

If you don’t pay the NP fee, you only need to pay if they catch you lol.

When me and Dolph car pooled to the first shred, we only ended up paying from the Wednesday onwards once they found us with no ticket lol.

(If this is no longer the case, I take no responsibility wink)

DylanV - 23 May 2013 12:50 PM

Are you sure?  I thought it was as soon as you entered the NP gates just after the ski tube turn off that you legally had to carry chains

100% certain

here is the link
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/snowdriving.html

and the quote

National Park regulations state that all vehicles (except four wheel drive vehicles) entering the National Park must carry chains when driving through designated ‘snow and ice’ risk sections. Snow and ice risk sections are identified by black and yellow signs within the Kosciuszko National Park. The current designated ‘snow and ice’ risk sections are:
Alpine Way – Thredbo to Tom Grogin
Kosciuszko Road within the National Park boundary
Guthega Road within the National Park boundary

TJ is right Re National Park Fees - if you get “caught” all you have to do is pay the standard day rate. ie there is no fine or premium if you get caught.