The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Lake Tahoe 2013/14

Hey guys, has anyone got any first hand experience at a USA snow season? From what I can see, the Visa restrictions seem like quite a big loophole to get through - is it worth the persistance? They seem as if they’re almost designed to make people just not be bothered at all. Not only that - it seems tough on employers too.

I have a Canadian and New Zealand passport, the canadian one only grants me a waiver on the ESTA visa waiver for when you touch down in the US for 14 days or so. So it’s just as good as the kiwi one as far as a long stint goes.

I’d like to look at staying in Truckee, close to Boreal and Northstar. Rent seems reasonable in the town and its really not that far up the hills.

Any recommendations?

Northstar aren’t hiring anyone on a H2B visa, I suspect that would be the same for a lot of US resorts as they could easily fill the positions with US residents. I can’t REALLY afford to do the whole season without some form of income covering rent. It might be possible if I ate nothing but rice and drank nothing but water but I can’t see that happening.

Any hints/tips/hookups with jobs would be awesome!

Cheers guys!

Ozgirl has worked a season at Heavenly, she may be able to help you.

P.s. F**k i love Tahoe

Hi Graham,

Can I ask if you have a Canadian passport why do you want to work in the USA?

Sadly the H2B visa’s are really hard to get nowadays.

There is a loop hole that funnily enough I was just mentioning today. If you are (or can get an offical to sign the forms that say you are) a full time student you can get a J1 visa.

I am not sure what hoops you have to jump through. As far as I understand it is pretty straight forward (well it was when I did it).

The only thing that is restricted due to the currently employment in the USA is that Obama limited the amount of H2B visa (the resort sponsored ones) and they also don’t allow the resorts to cherry pick the staff they get. It is a lottery system. So returners could not be given priority over first time staff and things like that so the resorts stopped wanting to go thru the motions and costs associated with H2B visa’s if they didn’t even get returning staff (supervisors etc)

I did a J1 visa and worked at Heavenly in 97/98

H2B visa at Winter Park 01/02

I have a lot of friends who still work for US resorts until recently which is how i know about the above restrictions.

Have done a bit of googling and most resort who still offer H2B visa are only for instructors. Any chance you have your Level 1? .

I know a lot of patrollers who can’t get H2B visa either and thats a highly skilled position in the US.

Oh and I forgot the other way to get a visa.

the US green card lottery. this is the official website. https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/

You have nothing to lose in applying. There is no reason to pay a company.

ozgirl - 30 April 2013 06:58 PM

Hi Graham,

Can I ask if you have a Canadian passport why do you want to work in the USA?

Sure, I did the 09/10 Season at Big White and loved it - Had a blast. I went back the following year for a one month trip between Whistler and Big White because mates were at both and again, loved it, however I’ve now got a mortgage and feel like this is possibly the last chance I will get to do a full season and want to go somewhere else, other than big white, which is where another mate is going.

ozgirl - 30 April 2013 06:58 PM

There is a loop hole that funnily enough I was just mentioning today. If you are (or can get an offical to sign the forms that say you are) a full time student you can get a J1 visa.

I am not sure what hoops you have to jump through. As far as I understand it is pretty straight forward (well it was when I did it).

The only thing that is restricted due to the currently employment in the USA is that Obama limited the amount of H2B visa (the resort sponsored ones) and they also don’t allow the resorts to cherry pick the staff they get. It is a lottery system. So returners could not be given priority over first time staff and things like that so the resorts stopped wanting to go thru the motions and costs associated with H2B visa’s if they didn’t even get returning staff (supervisors etc)

I did a J1 visa and worked at Heavenly in 97/98

H2B visa at Winter Park 01/02

I have a lot of friends who still work for US resorts until recently which is how i know about the above restrictions.

What do you mean by ‘official’? As in a teacher or lecturer at uni of some description. I do have mates in reasonably high academic places at universities (lecturers and such) that may be able to help me out if this were the case. However I’m an electrician by trade and in middle management these days which doesn’t have a lot to do with any form of study.

I don’t at all mind not working for a resort, I’d actually prefer not to. I’d much rather pay for my seasons pass and get a night time job so I can ride every day than get a lift pass for free and have to pull chairs after 40cm of snow. No Thank You. I saw the depression that caused the lifties after big dumps at Big White, Revelstoke and Whistler. It’s not worth the hassle. So I’m happy working at some kind of pizzeria, or something like that to help out a little with rent or whatever.

I don’t have a level 1, no. I was only thinking about that the other day that it may help me but hindsight has proven to be a good bloke once again and failed me. Shoulda done it years ago. haha.

My other option I guess is to find another hill in Canada to go to because I’ve got no troubles at all going, opening a bank account with a social security number and working for as long as I want. I just didn’t want to settle into an option that was easy for the sake of ease. I wanted to get out and go somewhere that I’ll be able to look back on and be glad I chose that particular place. I really don’t think I’d feel that sort of satisfaction if I went back to Big white.

Many thanks for your info ozgirl, it’s much appreciated.

Yep I hear you on returning to the “safe” option.

My only other piece of advice is to head over there and try and score cash work. Its very possible. Get an early early bird seasons pass and if you can’t secure any cash work then cut your loses and head up to Canada. If you were to do this option I would live in So. Lake Tahoe as there would be more options for work there. But then Truckee would possible have less people looking for work… Hmmmm

If you end up in Canada you don’t have to go back to Big White.

I don’t think being a lifty is that bad an option. Finny has a great time in Whistler and same with his mates (I spent some time with them this past season).

There are two regrets I have from my seasons, not doing my Level 1 when I had the opportunity and then also not going for a lifty job. Most of my friends for both season had lifty jobs and they got more on snow time than I did in inside jobs! (even with ski breaks)

Re the education thing, You will have to look into what the application ask you for, for proof. But for me I am pretty sure I had to have proof of enrollment by paying for the course (which I did) and then when I tried to get the department head to sign the form that’s when i all fell apart. So Uni friends might not work - thats a big chuck of change to pay for the convenience LOL - But look over the application and speak to your mates and see what they can do to help.

Oh and here is a vid of finney getting the first line on a powder day in uniform.

https://vimeo.com/61397579

Thanks for all your help ozgirl. Much appreciated.

I’ve decided that it would be far easier for me to head to the states on a Canadian passport and not work. From what I can find (and I’m waiting for confirmation) I can stay in the states as a visitor for up to 6 months. The mate I’m going with will have to obtain 2 90 day visas, we might be able to sort a road trip up to Canada to break the trip up anyway and if we’re not working, that won’t be an issue at all.

I’ve crunched some numbers today to see what it would cost for the 6mth period and it’s more than reasonable. Work really is more a social thing than anything else when you’re doing a snow season given the pitiful wages they get away with paying. So to do without the $150/wk less any taxes is an easy one to go without.

That is if he agrees to head over there.

If not, it looks like it may be off to Revelstoke for me. Not such a bad second option, really.

grahamgee - 02 May 2013 06:05 PM

If not, it looks like it may be off to Revelstoke for me. Not such a bad second option, really.

This shaka  shred

But you can def do Tahoe on the cheap if it works out with your mate. Keep us updated on your plans!

I shall do ozgirl, thanks so much for all of your tips/hints/info.

I guess not a lot really changes where you do decide to go - you can get by on the basics, which is what I plan for in Tahoe, then it shouldn’t be an issue.

$10k isn’t bad at all for a season between two hills with a car and a road trip to Colorado. The Northstar epic pass gives you unlimited access to a bucketload of resorts.

Decision has been made (well, sort of)

I’ll be looking to base in South Tahoe, put the $49 down ton the Epic pass, so I’ll be riding Heavenly and Kirkwood (by the looks of it, probably mostly at Kirkwood) and pulling the trigger on my camera whenever I can.

I’m on a Canadian passport as I’ve mentioned so can stay for up to 6 months, but i’m thinking of applying for hte B1/B2 anyway in case I want to hang around for some downhilling come summer time. We’ll see. That will depend entirely on how the mortgage is sitting. (thank heavens for tenants)

I’m fortunate enough to be able to save enough cash to head over there and not work for the season, so that will be the plan, ride every day (or as much as possible)

Anyone got any hookups over that way?

Great news Grahan!

But why apply for the b1/b2 visa?

Just cross a border and come back in on you aus passport… cross back at 59 days and come back on canadian?

You wont regret a Heavenly/Kirkwood pass!

(must get my edit done…..)

Mainly thinking the B1/B2 just as a suresafe.

If I want to do the downhill, It won’t open til May(at best). Then again, I can probably head to family friends in Vancouver and ride Whistler again for a few days. In any case, it would just allow me to hang around through a 12 month period as opposed to 6 months that I’d get on the passport. The NZD pasport would allow me 90 days on the ESTA waiver. might be enough. But crossing the border to Canada and Mexico doesn’t count for resetting your time. Not sure how that would work with duals. (they REALLY come in handy some times)

Glad to hear about the two resorts. From what I could gather, northstar was rubbish for lift lines. I’m not interested in anyting remotely similar to what You’ve got to go through at perisher and thredbo for a chair.

Yeah you have to put two boarders or an ocean between you and america!

But as discussed in another thread they actually didn’t check for me.

You should be very careful declaring two passports at borders anywhere in the world. so you shouldn’t show them. therefore should not be an issue.

So avoid Heavenly like the plague on the weekends! Some pretty crazy lift lines can still happen there. I was very surprised in Jan! Kirkwood. was nothing! see photo on this page https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/9597/P90

NBG and i copped some horrendous lines at Northstar, especially the lift that serviced the park, but that one was surprisingly quick