The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Board Bags for travel

What do you guys use when you go o/s and how much/what can you fit in and whats the weight you pack it to?

Im looking at a burton wheelie gig bag so keen to see what others have

The Burton Wheelie Gig is really nice bag if you want something rather compact (compared to other wheelie board bags). However it won’t take much more than a snowboard (or two sandwiched together), a set of binding, a pair of boots, jacket, pants, gloves, thermals/clothes. That’s about all you fit into a Wheelie Gig. It’s a very nice bag if that’s all your need to take.

Personally I travel with the Burton Wheelie Locker; it’s the biggest in their range. Keep in mind, this is a huge bag. I use it when I head overseas for a season and I need to take a lot of gear with me. Multiple boards, multiple bindings, boots, heaps of clothes, bedding, and other stuff. I have no problem packing it to the legal limit of 32kg. Most the time it’s literally packed to the legal limit.

In the Burton range, the Wheelie Board Case fits in between the Wheelie Gig and the Board Locker. On smaller trips i.e. to New Zealand and Japan, I have used a standard Wheelie Gig and it’s been perfect for small trips. I guess it all depends on how much gear you intend on travelling with.

I’ve got a 165cm Energi bag that I got for about $120. We took it to NZ with two boards & bindings, 2 pairs of boots, all our snow clothes, plus enough room in the top for our helmet with gloves, goggles etc in it.

I have a Dakine with wheels which has been great.

Do you have just the one board you travel with? If so, the Burton Wheelie Gig is by far the best board bag for OS travel. You save about 1.5Kg on the Burton Wheelie Board Case - and every little bit counts now that pretty much every airline is out to butt-rape you. It easily fits all your essentials, and the internal cinch strap for your board is something that’s sadly lacking on Burton’s supposedly “better” board bags.

However, lately I just can’t make up my mind which board I want to ride, so I usually travel with two boards (selected according to my destination) - and that’s why I now use the (heavier) Burton Wheelie Board Case, as it’s got a hideaway pocket for an extra board that usually wouldn’t be spotted if an overzealous airline employee checked to make sure I only had the “one set of equipment” as stipulated by many airlines these days.

Marty -  I have a Dakine low roller that I don’t need anymore as I upgraded to the high roller, was going to throw it on ebay but if you’re interested I’ll do you a good deal on it. I’ve been able to fit 2 boards, 2 sets of bindings, jackets, helmet, pants and boots in it.

rider26 - 22 August 2011 02:51 AM

. . . I guess it all depends on how much gear you intend on travelling with.

Lately, the airlines have decided to make that decision for you.

but you can always do the sneaky and hold one end of the bag up making it look like it weighs less than it actually does wink

finney - 22 August 2011 03:03 AM

Marty -  I have a Dakine low roller that I don’t need anymore as I upgraded to the high roller, was going to throw it on ebay but if you’re interested I’ll do you a good deal on it. I’ve been able to fit 2 boards, 2 sets of bindings, jackets, helmet, pants and boots in it.

I wasn’t sure it was acceptable to mention such things on here - but if it is, I never use my Burton Wheelie Gig Bag anymore, so if that’s what you end up choosing, I suppose I could sell it.

finney I might be keen on the dakine one, as my energi is on its last legs. PM me?

i had a wheelie gig

after one trip
the wheels came off (so i had to go buy a hex key to put it back in)
the guy who sold it to me didn’t tell me the wheels will come off so easily
otherwise i would of bought my own hex key from home

luckily hex keys are cheap to buy in japan
just was a freaking nuisance dragging board bag with one wheel for 2 days around japan
until i could find a shop that sold them

the side go ripped right thru…i think it was after the bus trip.
Hardly call what i packed into the bag over packed
1 board, 1 binder, 1 pair of boots, 1 helmet, 1 pair of pants, 2 jackets, 2 pairs of gloves and goggles (weight was 23kg)
right on max what i could carry for deathstar with our tickets

airline claim no use
shop i bought it from pointed me to burton who said it was normal wear and tear
so now I have a $160 piece of junk sitting at home which does nothing

thats a no to Burton wheelie gig for me

I have an Ogio Caddy now
its abit too big for my liking however…extends to 2m. Obviously more for ski orientation
but at least after 1 trip to Japan holding strong still

cords - 22 August 2011 04:02 AM

finney I might be keen on the dakine one, as my energi is on its last legs. PM me?

Not a problem, I’ll be in touch after Marty has decided whether or not he’s after it.

I just got the Burton wheelie gig so I’m pretty keen to see how it goes!

If it matters to you, all the burton bags come with a lifetime warranty so if theres anything faulty they will fix or if its just wear and tear you can get it fixed for cheap!

got a burton wheelie gig bag for me and one for the missus. really wanted to avoid burton (personal choice) but the price was cheap as chips so why not. Looks decetn construction and fits my stuff good. cant give you any clues on how it holds up to punishment as the furthest its been wheeled was from my kitchen to my loungeroom,

a mates older brother is sponsered by ogio and was promised a bag for a long, long time but gave up waiting and got this. taking it the states and using it as my main bag for clothes and board gear. i reckon i can fit what i need in it easy. will buy another bag over there to bring home snow gear etc. tha i buy over there.

The Wheelie Gig is excellent value for a heavy duty wheelie board bag. I don’t think you could find anything better for the price ($170 AUD RRP). If it fits everything you need, then it’s a perfect option for overseas travel.

what is the difference between the gig and board case in between the locker?