The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Your Quiver — Post your ride here!

I’m new to the forum, but as most of you can understand - it’s hard to pass up the opportunity to show off your quiver grin

I’m a lady shredder, been riding for the better part of a decade all around the world and mostly gravitate to park/all mountain freestyle/recently pipe. I’m 5’2 and weigh in at about 125lbs.

Boards:
It’s not the best quality pic, but from left to right:
‘09 Burton Malolo 149 with regular camber. Picked this up 2nd hand recently, at the recommendation of a trusted friend of mine.
‘14 DC Ply 146. I demo’ed this in Australia last season (I rode about 20 different boards last year!) and fell in love instantly. I bought it on sale here in Whistler and it will likely be my main ‘go to’ board here.
‘13 Roxy Ollie Pop 145. I have tried a lot of boards and never liked the Roxy/Gnu boards for some reason. It felt like there was something ‘missing’. I picked up this one and the next board for $40 each off a sponsored rider. It was a cheap deal and it’s not a terrible board. Super soft, though!
‘13 Roxy Eminence 143. See above. I have yet to ride it though - people rave about the eminence, but I think I need to give it a bit more mileage before I make my verdict.
‘12 Burton Lipstick 141. My absolute fave board. I’ve had this one for years and I love the Flying V. Best board I’ve ever owned and I’ll be damned if I ever sell it/give it up!
‘13 Salomon Oh Yeah 138. My jib board. I use this for backyard jib sesh’s and if I’m out teaching people on bunny hills. It’s just fun and flexy and I can’t help but smile when I ride it. Definitely not a mountain charger at all - it is my ‘noodle’ out of my quiver. It was also a gift from my husband.

Bindings:
‘10 Burton Molotov EST’s. These were the womens answer to the Malavita’s and didn’t stick around for another year. I got them on sale real cheap back in Aus, but I love these bindings, I really like the highbacks and they’re just all around awesome. I’ve almost worn these guys to death and I’ll be sad when I have to send them to board gear heaven.
‘13 Flux RK30’s. I was considering the GU30’s, but I just believed that the RK30 was a better binding. Despite my little feet (I wear a size 6 boot), the bindings are amazing. I love them to death, but in my opinion, they are also quite soft. Really good for freestyle/park riding.
Not shown: ‘14 WMNS Switchback bindings. These are brand new and are yet to be used. I’ve heard mixed reviews, but I’m keen to give them a go. I can see them being useful for a lot of different things, so we’ll see…

What I’d like:
A split set up. Not quite sure on model/brand as yet, but I don’t have to worry about that until I have money to spend anyway.

What I regret not buying:
Possibly a Capita Birds Of A Feather. This board came a close second in my rankings against the Ply last year. But damn, if it didn’t have the best graphic. That’s the downside of the Ply. Shitty graphic, for sure.

Anyway, ask away if you have any questions about my gear!

^ nice setup.

I myself am keen on trying switchbacks, so let us know how you go when you use them this weekend. =P
I know I’m a very set NOW guy and sold off my Unions and RK30 (They were my fav when I had them,) but I love trying new things.

Also yes the birds of a feather is currently my grrl’s fav board. She uses it for everything, and I’ve been trying to get a capita with similar camber (I think it’s the DOA, altho’ I’m not keen on the graphics.)  She was going to get the 13-14 one too except she didn’t like the graphics, which I agree with.

grunge - 20 November 2014 10:22 AM

^ nice setup.

I myself am keen on trying switchbacks, so let us know how you go when you use them this weekend. =P
I know I’m a very set NOW guy and sold off my Unions and RK30 (They were my fav when I had them,) but I love trying new things.

Also yes the birds of a feather is currently my grrl’s fav board. She uses it for everything, and I’ve been trying to get a capita with similar camber (I think it’s the DOA, altho’ I’m not keen on the graphics.)  She was going to get the 13-14 one too except she didn’t like the graphics, which I agree with.

Thanks!

Unfortunately I’m working at SnowFest in Vancouver on Saturday, so I won’t be able to ride on opening day. My ‘weekends’ are Monday and Tuesday at the moment, so I’ll definitely get up there on Monday.

I’ll probably ride the Ollie Pop as the rock board so to speak, and will mount the switchbacks to see how I like them. I got them real cheap second hand (although, they’d only been ridden in once), so if I don’t like them, I’ll sell them off.

I don’t know too much about the Now bindings - do they have any womens specific models? As I said, my feet are pretty small!
What sold you on those over the RK30’s, if you don’t mind me asking?

Edit: What does your girlfriend like about the BOAF? I enjoyed it a lot, but I felt like it rode a tad heavy in comparison to the Ply. I also thought the Ply was super fast, too. But as I mentioned, I really liked the BOAF and would be pretty darn stoked if it showed up in my quiver wink

I know I’m a very set NOW guy and sold off my Unions and RK30 (They were my fav when I had them,) but I love trying new things

I hate to be that guy… but seriously don’t buy them, they are crap…

1. No forward lean options
2. Crappy ratchets
3. Over priced with only gimmicky colour change options as the only perk
4. Very plastic feeling toe cap. Destroy’s your boots and doesn’t sit right

I’ve ridden Burton, Union, Rome and T9 bindings and these were not worth the money I paid and only better than the cheap T9’s because the T9 ratchets didn’t work properly and were therefore painful to do up each time.

lulu_in_canada - 20 November 2014 12:50 PM

Thanks!

Unfortunately I’m working at SnowFest in Vancouver on Saturday, so I won’t be able to ride on opening day. My ‘weekends’ are Monday and Tuesday at the moment, so I’ll definitely get up there on Monday.

I’ll probably ride the Ollie Pop as the rock board so to speak, and will mount the switchbacks to see how I like them. I got them real cheap second hand (although, they’d only been ridden in once), so if I don’t like them, I’ll sell them off.

I don’t know too much about the Now bindings - do they have any womens specific models? As I said, my feet are pretty small!
What sold you on those over the RK30’s, if you don’t mind me asking?

Edit: What does your girlfriend like about the BOAF? I enjoyed it a lot, but I felt like it rode a tad heavy in comparison to the Ply. I also thought the Ply was super fast, too. But as I mentioned, I really liked the BOAF and would be pretty darn stoked if it showed up in my quiver wink

NP.

With the NOW bindings, they only had M & L sizes the list couple of years, but now they’ve got S size in the IPO and Selects.
If you have time, maybe drop by Underground Tuning and ask to demo a pair.
I really like the skate tech, definitely helps carve alot easier with less effort, which is what sold me to it.
I mean, I love my RK30’s as it felt loose enough for me laterally to try park stuff, but I found that it really took effort in bombing runs. I demoed the IPO’s last april and pretty much got it the next day. I know that some people aren’t really into the tech, but I found that it works well and helps reduce feet fatigue at the end of the day for me, especially with my flat feet.

I think the g/f really likes the versatility of the BOAF’s camber. I know right up until she got her neversummer infinity, she pretty much used it for everything else. That being said she does have a very weird setup. She likes flexy boards with really responsive bindings. Until she gets the NOW selects, she was using burton escapades, and was looking at getting an updated pair. Plus she really like going through the trees and rollers in Whistler and I think that combo helps her alot. She’s not much into park.

TJswish - 20 November 2014 01:46 PM

I know I’m a very set NOW guy and sold off my Unions and RK30 (They were my fav when I had them,) but I love trying new things

I hate to be that guy… but seriously don’t buy them, they are crap…

1. No forward lean options
2. Crappy ratchets
3. Over priced with only gimmicky colour change options as the only perk
4. Very plastic feeling toe cap. Destroy’s your boots and doesn’t sit right

I’ve ridden Burton, Union, Rome and T9 bindings and these were not worth the money I paid and only better than the cheap T9’s because the T9 ratchets didn’t work properly and were therefore painful to do up each time.

Well that’s why I haven’t bought one yet… it seems too pricey for the functionality. Also it seems more for the park than anything else. I barely use forward lean, I tend to dial it down to 0deg if possible. (I know some bindings do not have 0 deg lean, which is why I gravitated to Flux and Union.)
From what I saw the plastics seem very solid. Anyways, will figger out when I try them, but I think it won’t beat NOW bindings for me.

Solid is the key word. They don’t grab your boot, they rather push your boot into the 1 shape fits all that they designed. (toe cap)

Lulu I’ve been riding an Eminence for a couple of years.
I’m a big girl with big feet - so mines a 155.
It is a hard charging aggressive unit.

Tad too long (but enjoyable nonetheless) for Aus - but perfect for Japow.

Another shout out for NOW bindings.
I’ve only had a few days on them so far - all of which were tentative (riding with a fairly recently broken arm)  - but I loved them so much I bought a pair as a gift for a good friend.

Some interesting perspective and feedback on the Switchbacks! I’m not ‘married’ to using them, or for them to be my ‘go-to’ binding at all. Like I said, I was able to pick them up for a steal, so we’ll see how they go.

Apart from the winged highbacks on my Molotov’s, I tend to prefer more low key tech in my bindings. I’ve found if I have bindings with a tonne of padding in the ankle strap for example, it just makes me want to pull it real tight to feel secure. I also don’t like to use FLAD at all, so that doesn’t bother me. The feedback on the toe strap is very intriguing though - I definitely don’t want to f&*k my boots up. They are the best things I’ve ever purchased and I can’t seem to get them in Whistler. Any locals know of any stores that stock Nitro? I’ve already spoken with Affinity Sports and they aren’t stocking the Crown’s…dammit!

LMB - I’m interested in the Eminence, now you’ve described it as a charger. I think my riding style and ability has changed so much over the years that now, I tend to prefer a board that I really have to be on top of. Hence why I liked the Ply - if I wasn’t on my game, it could chuck me a lot more easily than my Lipstick. The evolution of style/ability, hey? wink

I work across the road from Underground - the guys in there are great. We’ll probably be doing a fair bit of business with them actually this season. I might check in and see if they have any NOW’s in my size to try out!

Thanks!

^ Across from Underground? That’s cool. Yohann and Brad are pretty cool and chill.
Are you currently on Crowns for your boots? I bought the mrs a pair of Crown TLS’ for her first boot although she got herself stuck on a pair of K2 Contours.

Anyways, I’m getting excited now, looking forward to shredding with the BWWC. (BoardWorldWhistlerCrew, lol.)

grunge - 21 November 2014 09:54 AM

^ Across from Underground? That’s cool. Yohann and Brad are pretty cool and chill.
Are you currently on Crowns for your boots? I bought the mrs a pair of Crown TLS’ for her first boot although she got herself stuck on a pair of K2 Contours.

Anyways, I’m getting excited now, looking forward to shredding with the BWWC. (BoardWorldWhistlerCrew, lol.)

Hmmm. Actually, maybe I’m getting my wires crossed with stores. There is a store across the road from my office (I work for Whistler Alpine Guides) and they sell splitboards, a lot of Jones and Yes gear, as well as the NOW bindings…I need to get my head around this stuff!

Yes, Nitro Crown TLS. They were recommended to me from a friend who normally rides about 80 days a year. She said they never let her down. But, being the smart cookie I was, I went in store and tried on every boot possible and it turned out the Nitro’s were perfect for my foot anyway. They are the best purchase I’ve ever made. Got them a size down from my street size and after the initial wear-in phase, they fit like the proverbial glove. That said, they’ve probably got about 70 days on them now and you can tell they are starting to pack out, but I don’t want to let them go!!

I’m stoked too. Looking forward to Monday! :-D

lulu_in_canada - 21 November 2014 07:00 AM

LMB - I’m interested in the Eminence, now you’ve described it as a charger. I think my riding style and ability has changed so much over the years that now, I tend to prefer a board that I really have to be on top of. Hence why I liked the Ply - if I wasn’t on my game, it could chuck me a lot more easily than my Lipstick. The evolution of style/ability, hey? wink
Thanks!

shaka
Absolutely Lulu.
I just thought of it as my board…

Until I ended up in NZ without gear.  I tried to buy, or to hire, a few boards I’d been researching or the same as what I had but kept getting told no, no nothing like that.  The shop staff would look me up and down and point me to their short noodley flat camber range for women….drove me bonkers.  In the end a few asked me what I usually ride.  When I told them the eyes widened, you get the ‘shit, that surprised me’ look and the ‘sorry, there’s just no demand for hard charging aggressive women’s gear like that, you’d have to buy it online’.

I was so surprised.  So disappointed. 
Also shocked that *I* was riding harder than your average girl - given I’m a 45 year old mother of 4, who only started boarding at 37, is overweight and battles autoimmune conditions… LOL. I thought I’d be classed as a battler wink

Anyway - same story when I went to Hotham.
It wasn’t until Jez hooked me up with the Hel Yes/Now Combo that I felt in charge again.

So this December….I’ll be switching between the Yes and the Eminence - who shall reign supreme….!? wink

^ I think this is one of the things about it is that if you have a weird setup than your typical it becomes hard to find what you usually use. For me it seems like these days boards are going more flexy and shorter to cater towards the see-it-on-tv crowd, mainly for park and slopestyle.

Not that I mind. It just makes it hard when you want to get a supercharger board, you kinda have to pay a premium on it. But I guess that’s life.

lulu_in_canada - 21 November 2014 10:21 AM

Hmmm. Actually, maybe I’m getting my wires crossed with stores. There is a store across the road from my office (I work for Whistler Alpine Guides) and they sell splitboards, a lot of Jones and Yes gear, as well as the NOW bindings…I need to get my head around this stuff!

I’m stoked too. Looking forward to Monday! :-D

Maybe… they’re generally more of a tune and repair store, and they’re integrated into the summit hotel if I’m right.
Yohann used to do the guests’ waxing in the basement and the hotel ended up giving him the storage room, so they also store boards.

They don’t really sell the NOW bindings as he’s the distributor for them (the NOW videos that you see JF do is in the shop.)
And they sell ifound beanies and outerwear, as well as Dupre snowboards.

I can’t remember where Whistler Alpine Guides are but maybe I’ll work it out as if I have time I want to do the avalanche course.

Maybe… they’re generally more of a tune and repair store, and they’re integrated into the summit hotel if I’m right.
Yohann used to do the guests’ waxing in the basement and the hotel ended up giving him the storage room, so they also store boards.

They don’t really sell the NOW bindings as he’s the distributor for them (the NOW videos that you see JF do is in the shop.)
And they sell ifound beanies and outerwear, as well as Dupre snowboards.

I can’t remember where Whistler Alpine Guides are but maybe I’ll work it out as if I have time I want to do the avalanche course.

Nope - that is the same store I was thinking about, then!! Ok, cool - the guys I was talking to in there seemed really great. Now that you mention Dupre, and that they are part of Summit Lodge…I know for sure it’s the same place. Well, there you go… grin

^ haha yeah they’re pretty cool. I think the main guys there are Yohann, and Brad.

This is my first board.
Yes Jackpot 158 board with NOW IPO bindings.