The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Advice on first DLSR camera

3.5-6.3 it is, if your not planning on doing lots of very low light action shots that will be fine

Another reason why I’m still tossing up if I really need a DSLR, most of the shots I’m taking will be in situation with next to zero low light issues.  We’ll see.

I’ve heard good things about Sony’s NEX System and Nikon’s V2 in low light conditions. They’re not full DSLRs, but Micro 4/3 systems.

A friend of mine was shooting at high ISOs (~3200) on the V2 with a 35mm 1.2 and it produced very little grain.

Here’s some sample shots I found on the DP Review, http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3470822

if you’re wanting to be shooting in very low light conditions, you’ll be looking for a camera that can perform well on High ISOs, and you will definitely want a lens with a fixed aperture at f2.8 or below for the best results.

What sort of things will you be photographing?

After starting this thread I just thought I’d update you guys. I’m loving my Nikon D7000, really happy with my choice. Aside from the 18-105 kit lens (which is pretty good) I have bought a 50mm 1.8 prime and recently the ultra wide 11-16mm f 2.8 Tokina cheese

Here are some of my favourite photos (all with the 18-105mm). Let me know what you think. Any suggestions?

From a 10 day trip in New Zealand:
https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/14857/

From Lady Elliot Island:

Nice shots mate!!!!!

The clarity is awesome!!!!!

Very nice mate! loved the landscape and waterfall shots you posted in the other thread too shaka got a good eye

one at the beach is a doozy!!

Andy16 - 14 June 2013 03:29 PM

I’ve heard good things about Sony’s NEX System and Nikon’s V2 in low light conditions. They’re not full DSLRs, but Micro 4/3 systems.

Actually, neither are micro 4/3

My favorite is the Sony Mirrorless Camera - you’ll find that many stores have it on sale at the moment due to the release of the newer (a7R III)

Has anyone had a chance to compare the Canon EOS R to the Sony A7 mirrorless range?