The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Advice on first DLSR camera

Thanks!

Thats exactly what I thought!

(i know those photos I shared are not perfect but it is an example of what I was thinking I wanted (note wanted not need) the 50mm for.

OMG I bought a camera!!!!!!  big surprise

Bought the D7000 with 18-105mm - can’t wait to get it!  cheese

nice one mate!!

nice one dude!!!

Good Work.

Are you going to share some images with us?

I thought a tall lad like yourself would have a much longer one…...  tongue wink

Dan83 - 15 May 2013 08:25 PM

OMG I bought a camera!!!!!!  big surprise

Bought the D7000 with 18-105mm - can’t wait to get it!  cheese

Yippee!!! go have fun!!!!

Wooo Hooo Dan!

How much did you pay?

Cheers guys! And lol Azz!

Oz, paid $990.

red face

yeah i prob should get onto that… buy a body LOL

I only have an SLR at the moment. never pulled the plug on a DSLR as yet

Yew got my camera today!!!

Opened it up and there is no user manual and the supplied DVD is just a program? Will try downloading it, but that seems a bit weird…

Dan83 - 27 May 2013 11:48 AM

Yew got my camera today!!!

Opened it up and there is no user manual and the supplied DVD is just a program? Will try downloading it, but that seems a bit weird…

Congrats - the D7000 is a great camera! I have one myself and it’s been serving me well for a few years now, produces results just as good as my D3!

Did you buy the camera locally, or online? Sometimes if bought online and shipped from overseas they don’t always include the manual.

You can download it from the Nikon website though. However I think the best way to learn how to use it, is to use it smile

Happy to answer any questions you may have about your new acquisition!

Thanks Andy! Oh and welcome to Boardworld!  shaka

Yeah bought it online and you’re right - I checked their website, and they don’t include a manual - no worries though.

Cheers!

I had a bit of time to kill yesterday in a mall and so I went to a camera store just to suss a few things out.  I spent a bit of time there and the sales guy was pretty damn helpful without being to pushy, he actually seemed to appreciate the fact that I knew a little more than the average about cameras and photography in general which was nice.

As it was he pulled out a few different cameras for me and let me have a play, loaded a card into them and let me check the continous burst and buffer rates which was what I primarily concerned with.  The cams I looked at in detail were as follows

Sony SLTA58
Pentax K-30
Fujifilm XS1
Nikon D7000

Unfortunately the only card they had I could test with was only a class 6 so the true write speed wasn’t really something I could really establish.  All of the cameras seem to take about 1-2secs of hightest fps before slowing down to 1fps or so as they tried to store to the card, none of them took much longer than about 5 secs to complete the process.  5 secs is a bit of lifetime though in terms of snowboarding or surfing so I would be hoping that a class 10 makes a noticeable difference.

Out of the DSLR category the camera that really stood out was the Pentax, in terms of general feel, features and hardware specs it really stood up to be counted.  I was surprised to be honest, they were on my radar but I thought the K30 was probably a bit of a stretch pricewise.  Happily the sales guy offered me the K30 and an 18-200mm lens for $800 so witha really flexible lens to boot it didn’t seem like a bad deal.

The XS1 seemed like a decent cam for the money, they didn’t have a HS50 there which I was a bit disappointed about as that would be the one I would like to try the most.  The sensor size is about 1/4 of the DSLR cameras but with an 18-1000mm 35mm equivalent focal length the flexibility in a sub $500 camera is hard to ignore. 

I ended up leaving empty handed as I really was more confused than when I walked in.  The Pentax really appealed but they didn’t have the Sony A57 there to compare, it still seems like a contender especially with a 55-300mm lens but then the Fujifilms still hold an appeal as well.  If I was going a DSLR I would be tossing up between the Pentax and the Sony A57, I need to compare those two side by side.  These days it does appear that for less than $1000 including lens kits you do really get some bang for your buck.  I’ve yet to convince myself I really need it though!

whats the speed/aperture on the pentax 18-200mm?

Dylan I think it was a Sigma lens to be honest mate and I don’t remember, will see if I can find out.

This is the setup he mentioned I could have for $800

http://www.camerahouse.com.au/products/DSLR/Pentax-K-30-wSigma-18-200mm-II-HSM-Lens-Digital-SLR-Camera.aspx

This is the lens review.
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma_18-200_3p5-6p3_os_n15