The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

gopro protune workflow

Hey All,

I’ve always shot in standard mode using my GP, but thinking of giving Protune a go.  If anyone else out there is doing this, what is your workflow to tweak up contrast, colour grading and sharpness?  From a bit of reading it seems the tools in the GoPro free version of Cineform studio are actually pretty decent and I notice it includes a preset for Protune.  I’ve also read that when importing into Cineform it will automatically detect protune and compensate according to the preset.

Mud

I like Cineform.
Used it with some old SD headcam footage and made it look as good as GPH2.

Protune basically turns off the in camera compensation so you can manipulate the footage in post production. Similar to shooting stills in RAW instead of JPEG.

Results will depend mostly on how well you use the camera, the lighting and location.
Also what editing gear you’ll use. I think Cineform will automatically do what the camera would do anyway.

GoPro video cameras have always relied on software (made by Cineform) to make there cameras perform with any ability.
eg: Hero1 captured 960p then the software stretched it before saving the file as 1080.

Give it a go. At least you will then see what GPH3black is really capturing before image compensation is applied.

tried running some protune footage through Cineform and applying the Protune filter.  Results here

Can’t notice the sharpness improvement due to youtube downscaling but the colour difference is obvious.  I’m watching a few web tutorials on how to do colouring in FCP X too.

Cool thanks for the vid. Is the left side without Protune?
Right side seemed over saturated.

spaz - 13 May 2013 09:27 AM

Cool thanks for the vid. Is the left side without Protune?
Right side seemed over saturated.

Yes, left is without protune filter applied.  I can tell you in full rez it looks quite washed out and not sharp.  I agree the right side does look a bit over-saturated, however that shot was done in late afternoon light where that tree was really glowing.

looks good!! i haven’t used my go-pro in awhile but i have started using it in pro tune mode so will love to look into it more too