The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Advice on first DLSR camera

My SLR has Tamron lenses.

I am pretty sure when i got my last camera i “upgraded” at purchase time to Tamron lens. Rather than lens kit….

Can’t be bothered digging under my bed to confirm that though LOL

ozgirl - 12 May 2013 02:31 PM

Haha! I love it!

As the saying

You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink it….

Everyone (including me) lead you to the water. And you choose to turn around and come back to the Pub with me!!

Hahaha raspberry

Finally got to try a couple at Harvey Norman today. I liked the feel of the Canon’s more lol! Although they had the whole range of Canon’s but nothing higher than the D5200 in Nikon (which is smaller than the D7000 and plastic). They had sold out of the D7000 which was annoying. The 7D was nice and sturdy, so was the 6D.

Hmmm interesting!

Do you think you didn’t like the nikon feel cause of the plastic?

No it wasn’t a big deal them being plastic. I just didn’t find the Nikon’s fit my hand as well. It was more cramped and not as comfortable. But the D7000 is meant to be bigger and sturdier so still keen to try it out. Hopefully one of the other shops have some in stock.

HA!

Yesterday I used a Canon and thought it was big and clunky!

Its so funny how different they are eh!

LOL

So are you still thinking the 5100? Is the price turning you off the newer 5200?

Tambo - 12 May 2013 05:49 PM

:(
ok, who likes the Tamron lenses?
what’s the opinion on them?

Tamron are huge in the market. The biggest shareholder is Sony. Sony tend to have the lens market covered, I think it’s through Tamron that CCTV exclusively have Sony built lenses.
This suggests Tamron is more focused on mass production, but they do have high precision machining to build quality lenses and because they make money from high turnoer of mass produced products their top end lenses are cheaper than most other brands for the similar quality.

Some models have amazing engineering and design qualities that are unique - like optical image stabilising coupled with vibration compensation and having huge zoom on a physically small lens - the perfect travel lens.
Some of their newer products only are built with mounts for Nikon and Canon.

Dan83 - 12 May 2013 10:26 PM

So are you still thinking the 5100? Is the price turning you off the newer 5200?

Price is not turning me off per sue

I just don’t think the extra bells and whistles on it is worth it.

Like what was said earlier in the thread, there is not much difference in new cameras nowadays. You are paying a premium for the newest models not because it is worth x amount more.

I would rather get a cheaper but good body and speed more on the more suitable lenses.

I want a 18 - 200mm and a good 50mm

I want a 18 - 200mm and a good 50mm

A good 50 to be 50? A 50 on any of these cameras you are talking about won’t be a real 50 due to the crop sensor. To get the 50, you’ll want a 35.

Spaz, I know of Tamron reputation, Just want to know how people who use them actually like them. The one I had was yuck, long ago, admittedly.

Hopefully Dan will have a camera soon and all will be good!

grin

Ummmm pass LOL

I want a 50mm wiith low fstop to use at saying Bushfires are bummers party scenario…

I also want to make another family recipe hard bound cookbook and they are good for photographing food.

Only problem with reducing your F stop that low is you lose you depth of field.

I would pump the ISO to get those shots instead smile

Correct me if I am wrong but thats exactly what I want for the food photos?

Not for the party shots though yes I agree.

Actually a girl I worked with was given a camera for her birthday and she had a 50mm lens on it and had no idea how good it was.

I took the camera off her (cause she was taking all these unnnessary flash photos) as I tend to do when it hurts me watching someone treat a camera so poorly. Loved those photos

what 50mm do you want? i got a 1.6 the other day, its got a crazy shallow depth of field! so fun to play around with smile