The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Advice on first DLSR camera

My mistake it was a 600D and by the looks of the data that I can see it was shot at 5MP or 2592 x 1728, kinda makes me wonder exactly what sort of a photography course she was doing.

The camera I used was the Fujifilm S8100fd bought in 2008, prior to that I had an S5100 from 2004.  My old man has an S model of some description, I think it’s about 10MP or so as well, would have to check, I should know, I bought it for him but it was some time ago now.  My old man was a die hard Pentax fan from the film days.

NBG - 07 May 2013 10:04 AM

kinda makes me wonder exactly what sort of a photography course she was doing.

Haha! Maybe the free one she got with the camera purchase - or one off the daily deal sites!

But to be fair to do a course all you need is a SLR camera, completely manual, not all the auto settings a current fancy pants camera now has!

Also I know a lot of people who own DSLR with tiny memory cards who, when they go on holidays reduce the megapixels on every photo to save space! teacherboy

The first Pentax i ever owned was completely manual, not a single auto setting.

This was because my dad believed I had to learn the basics first (the same man who wouldn’t buy me a watch until i could tell analog time. I remember get tutoring by the neighbour leading up to our Fiji holiday as i needed to pass dad’s test before he would by me a swatch watch duty free for my birthday!)

Also I know a lot of people who own DSLR with tiny memory cards - who when they go on holidays reduce the megapixels on every photo to save space! teacherboy

Or then leave it all on the camera and only look at it on the camera screen michelle

Here’s something else to consider… don’t yell at me….
Azz said that having everything on fully auto you can take bad pics. Some of the entry/mid level cameras have “portrait” “sports” Landscape settings etc to control aperture, shutter speed f stop etc. And you can get nice photos with these settings, without having to dive straight into the fully manual/shutter priority/aperture priority mode. (7D doesn’t have them) So think about that. Next, what about long night exposure?... check there’s a setting for bulb, cos that’s cool thing to play with.

or don’t post on fb or make an album!

LOL - sits on the computer for eternity never to be seen again…

15 years working as a pro photog, grew up with my grandfather shooting pro, been shooting since I was 6yo, studied photography and it’s history since 17yo (that’s 23 years)
- I should know what I’m talking about - probably forgotten more than most know. wink

Ozgirls dad is a genius when it comes to photo/video BTW.

Sony DSLR isn’t a true DSLR it is an SLT camera.
(D)SLR cameras are soon to be considered dinosaurs and pointless. They probably only still exist because of customer demand. ie: they are easy to market and people believe they want them.

I don’t like the term “bridge camera” it’s a 80’s term. What it means is prosumer which is what the cheaper DSLR’s really are.

Compact cameras shoot as good as a prosumer DSLR without the tired old DSLR Mechanical system.

Sony SLT cameras are a compact with all the pro DSLR abilities.
A good compact costs the same as a cheap DSLR for a reason.

Good glass is the only way to take better photo’s without becoming a better photographer.

Lastly - I’ve not only dropped my 2002 Nikon DSLR but broken multiple lenses off it while boarding through trees with it in a backpack, dislocated 4 ribs when I fell on it in a shoulder strap. I now carry it in my hand while boarding, without a cover - you guys have seen how I board.
It’s been saturated in the rain (this is the only time I prefer kit lenses), frozen in -40℃, lives on the floor of my car (so cops +60℃), used while waist deep in the ocean and spent more time on the sand by the ocean than in the snow.
You wont come across a more abused Digital SLR that still shoots.

What I’ve noticed is camera companies are making weaker and weaker housings so their customers have no choice but to upgrade.

Cameras are the oldest unchanged mechanical device man has ever built. THEY chose to build poor quality instead of building what they could.

I think Sony build a Pro camera that is tough and future proof.
Campacts are also made to be abused.

does anyone know where you can buy a good waterproof camera bag? i think i might buy a new one before i head to the snow this season, want to spend around $100 if i can get a good one. smile

look at the f-stop packs. might be a bit pricey but they are the best

If you want something cheap, get a ‘dry bag’. Usually reserved for water canyoners or hiking, they are airtight/water proof and roll up small when you aren’t using them. They are purely just a loose fitting bag. So you can get one big enough to put your entire backpack or just your camera directly in it.

if you’re going the cheap route, combine the drybag with a generic camera block. They sell them at my local camera shop for around $20 depending on the size

Plastic bag and roll of tape has always done me well.

Method:
Put lens shield on lens.
Put lens attached to camera in plastic bag upside down.
Push lens shield into corner of plastic bag.
Tear corner where lens wants to look out.
Push through tear.
Trim excess plastic bag so tape forms good seal.
Tape bag to lens shield.
Turn upside down and stick hands in bottom.

Not only do you have a rain proof cover (that is easily removed by taking off lens shield) you also have convenient carry bag for camera.
I find clear plastic best so you can look at dials.
Shopping bags from grocery stors are great. I get weird looks when I ask for a plastic bag for my roll of tape.

ozgirl - 07 May 2013 08:41 AM

Dan that IS what i am possibly going to get (D5100) - but you never know until I drop the cash onto it!

Have you checked out the newer version, the D5200? Looks pretty cool but costs a good chunk more.

I think I know what I want now LOL Although I still am hoping to get down to the shops first to have a try of a couple.

I’m thinking the Nikon D7000 is my best bet overall for what I’m after. In regards to lenses, the kit options are 18-105, or 18-55 with a 70-300. I could go with one of those options to start off with but I’m also looking at a couple Tamron lenses, namely the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, which supposedly is a good jump up in quality from the kit lenses but at not a very high cost. Tamron also make a 18-200 lense which could be good.

Will do a little bit more research…

Double post

Haha! I love it!

As the saying

You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink it….

Everyone (including me) lead you to the water. And you choose to turn around and come back to the Pub with me!!

:(
ok, who likes the Tamron lenses?
what’s the opinion on them?