The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler 2016/17

Hola, I’m new to posting but found this forum so amazing and helpful. So I’m a super keen early bird, planning on going to whistler November 2017! But there’s a few bits I just wanted to find out that’s a bit more specific to my situation. I’m from the UK and know all about visa’s etc, and my partner and I are planning to use The Working Holiday Club as we want to work for the mountain and it will cost us as much in accommodation getting to Canada early for the fairs as it will to use their service. But the questions I have are:

1. We are a couple and want to live in staff housing, but want a room to ourselves and obviously a double bed, is this possible and what are the best options how does it work etc?

2. What are the best jobs if we want similar hours? And usually work 4 days a week. (He is currently a landscaper and I work for Bobbi Brown)

3. We want to stay for 2 years can we stay in the same jobs? What is everyone’s experience?

I think everything else is covered in previous threads but any help is much appreciated!

I know I’m super keen but hopefully being prepared will help!! Can’t wait to get to Canada smile

Thankssssss
?

rider26 - 22 July 2016 03:01 AM
SK89 - 21 July 2016 11:49 AM

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if Whistler employees can get discounts on lift passes, ski rental, etc for friends and family?

Thanks

Hey @SK89,

Yes, can you. You can get discounted Edge Cards, which I think are like 2/3+ day passes. I don’t believe you can get discounts on single day passes. However, as a Christmas bonus, you will also receive a variety of half price and free tickets to use for family and friends. I believe you get more if you’re full-time as opposed to part-time.

With rentals, some places might, some might not. What would you be looking to hire exactly?

That’s good to hear!

Looking to hire boots and a snowboard for my girlfriend who is coming to visit over the xmas period. I already have all my own gear

Welcome to Boardworld, @Antigoelisa! shaka

I could be wrong, but I don’t believe there are any double beds in staff housing. @dylan, @Andy Aitken, @finney might be able to confirm this. You could also call them directly and ask about this.

HOUSE Office hours:
10am - 6pm daily
(closed on statutory holidays)

phone: 604-938-7500 fax: 604-938-7555 email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

I guess to work similar hours you want to decide if you want to work during regular business hours of more after hours. For example, if you’re both working for the mountain, lift ops and guest relations, your hours will be very similar.

Assuming you have a valid work visa for two years, and you do well at your job, there shouldn’t be any problem keeping your job for the following season. Work hard, keep your managers happy with your results/effort, and there shouldn’t be any problem.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

@rider26 thanks for your response!

Ahh hopefully there is!! I’ll give them an email later thanks for the info.

Do you live in whistler now? So wish we were going this season!

You’re welcome, @Antigoelisa.

Yes, I live here with my wife. I first came here in 2005 as a snowboard instructor. Since then I’ve done several seasons moving back and forth between here and Australia. My wife is from here… we met here (at work) in 2008. Now we’re pretty much living here and calling Whistler home. ?

I thought I’d share a few photos that I took yesterday while hiking…

rider26 - 30 July 2016 06:43 AM

You’re welcome, @Antigoelisa.

Yes, I live here with my wife. I first came here in 2005 as a snowboard instructor. Since then I’ve done several seasons moving back and forth between here and Australia. My wife is from here… we met here (at work) in 2008. Now we’re pretty much living here and calling Whistler home. ?

Hopefully one day we will be the same!! Looks so beautiful you’re very lucky!

rider26 - 28 July 2016 05:13 AM

Welcome to Boardworld, @Antigoelisa! shaka

I could be wrong, but I don’t believe there are any double beds in staff housing. @dylan, @Andy Aitken, @finney might be able to confirm this. You could also call them directly and ask about this.

I don’t think there are any double beds in Staff housing that I know of.
But my Partner and I just get a room together and then push the beds together.

It’s not as good as a double bed, but the plus side is when I’m actually sleeping I have a protective gap to stop my partner invading my territory!  evil
Because she twitches… like a lot.

Hi,

Just joined this forum after nosing round for a while, has some really helpful info and advice (Cheers!) I’m heading over to Whistler from the UK Oct 4th but recently got a phone interview with Whistler Blackcomb (Vancouver job fair), do you know how long they typically take to send you an email to let you know if you have been granted a face to face interview at one of the job fairs?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to Boardworld, @Jihnzo! shaka

Just to clarify, have you done your phone interview yet? What makes you think you will need a face to face interview after this?

I’m not sure if this process varies between jobs, and it’s been 11 years since I had my phone interview (yikes!), but I received an email the same day with a guaranteed job offer.

Either way, they are quite efficient at Whistler Blackcomb, so I can’t image they would keep you hanging for too long.

Best of luck!

@rider26  Yeah had my phone interview nearly 2 weeks ago.

I was told that upon progressing I would be required to go to the Vancouver job fair on 15th September for a face to face interview confused

Since the phone interview I haven’t had an Email updating me on the status of my application,  so contemplating just getting in touch with their Recruiting department for an update, fingers crossed they just forgot to get in touch.

Appreciate the help!

@Jihnzo, in that case it would be worth following up with them. I’d suggest you call them directly.

https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/employment/contact

RECRUITING

Phone: 604-938-7557

Fax: 604-938-7838

Email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Address:
4890 Glacier Drive (Base II) in Whistler. 
See Map

Hours:
Winter Hours: (November - April) Monday to Sunday (7 days a week) from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Closed Statutory holidays

Summer Hours: (May – October) Monday to Friday from 9:00am to 5:00pm. Closed Statutory holidays.

@Jihnzo also got a phone interview and was told to expect an email with further details. The next stage I believe is a face-to-face in Vancouver on the 12th for the job fair, so I wouldn’t be too concerned just yet if you haven’t heard back.

Anyway, regarding accommodation, I can see from the Facebook groups that available rooms are starting to pick up, although mostly short term at the moment (Aug-Oct). Judging by the number of replies these post are getting, it’s looking like it going to be a shit show to try and find long term accom through the winter season.

Can anyone with experience finding accom in previous seasons chime in?

I’ll be getting in in September, which is earlier than most but am still concerned that It will be very difficult finding long term accom if i don’t end up working for WB and opting for staff housing.

@rider26  Just spoke to them, going through applications so confirming what @Cod_  said. Phew!

@Cod_, you are absolutely correct. It’s a shit show! It’s definitely possible but always challenging. As you’ve seen on the Facebook group, there are more people looking for accommodation than accommodation is actually available. Having gone through this process many times, I can confirm your assumptions are correct, and this is why as a first-year employee I would strongly encourage you to keep all of your options available, including staff accommodation. Staff accommodation would be my first recommendation, as it gives you some footing to get started. You can always upgrade your situation from there. You may get lucky finding your own accommodation but don’t count on it. Many people have left Whistler in the past because they couldn’t find a place to live. Keep your options open!

@Jihnzo, that’s good to hear. Thanks for the update.