The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Switch Trick Names

Andy Aitken - 14 November 2012 05:59 AM

Let me just put my idea out there one more time and see what you think.

NOTHING CHANGES
The tail is the tail, the nose is the nose. A tail press is done on the tail and the nose press on the nose.
A grab is grabbed on the SAME part of the board with the SAME hand.
DIRECTION CHANGES NOTHING.
NO RULES CHANGE.

Every trick is performed the same regardless of what direction you are travelling.

Doesn’t that sounds easier? Doesn’t that make sense?

I think grabs should be the same as the nosepress/tailpress issue. If you take off switch, the (regular) nose becomes the switch tail, and visa versa.

A switch press on the downhill tip should be a switch nosepress.

A switch straight air (for a regular stance) with left arm grabbing the heel edge between the bindings should be a switch stalefish, not a switch melon.

I agree with Andy that rules should apply to both. But my vote would be for what I stated above. I’m not saying I’m right, and I have no idea what the official verdict is, but it’s just the way my brain thinks of it.

rider26 - 14 November 2012 06:11 AM

NOTHING CHANGES
The tail is the tail, the nose is the nose. A tail press is done on the tail and the nose press on the nose.
NO RULES CHANGE.

Every trick is performed the same regardless of what direction you are travelling.

I think grabs should be the same as the nosepress/tailpress issue. If you take off switch, the (regular) nose becomes the switch tail, and visa versa.

A switch straight air (for a regular stance) with left arm grabbing the heel edge between the bindings should be a switch stalefish, not a switch melon.

I agree with Andy that rules should apply to both. But my vote would be for what I stated above. I’m not saying I’m right, and I have no idea what the official verdict is, but it’s just the way my brain thinks of it.

That’s basically been the 2nd main theory. The other being that even riding switch, you’d perform the tricks the same, i.e. in your scenario it would be called a switch melon.

I support this version where everything is a mirror image.

rider26 - 14 November 2012 06:11 AM

NOTHING CHANGES
NO RULES CHANGE.

Im 100% on the same wavelength as you rider and what you posted. Thats how I have always seen it. And yeh not sayin its right or official, but yeh thats how i’ve always visualised it

I believe either way could be correct. There is a set of rules that work for both and I’ve heard the terms used both ways.

I just think if both could be correct and we are trying to pick one. Why not pick the one that can explain every switch trick with one sentence?

“Every trick is performed the same way regardless of direction”

I just had a thought. Going on your way and something that Sam said earlier. How’s this one?

“Every switch trick is done in a mirror image of your normal stance”

It seams it could be either of these but your way seams to be the one more commonly used.

I agree with Sam and Jeremy. Whichever part of the board is downhill or at the front is always the nose (yes, it gets weird when you’re talking about swallow tail and fishes).

Marc Swoboda is a Nitro team rider and also did contests, not sure why Simon don’t know him. I guess he’s just not well known yet.

I didn’t actually call Simon Chamberlain, it was just a joke Skip.

hahahaha LOL teacherboy

Okay well it wasn’t the idea that I was going for, but there seems to be a logical answer that everyone is leaning to.

“Switch tricks are the mirror image of your regular stance tricks”

Ie. If I was to hold a mirror next to a rider doing a trick, he could look at it and see what he would look like doing it switch.
Everything Opposite.

Not my idea, but I’m cool with that as long as it’s universal for all tricks. Rails, Airs, everything.

DO WE ALL AGREE ON THIS?

*Funny Side Note: Looking up lots of trick videos, it seams that skiers talk about their tricks in my original theory “Everything stays the same” where as boarders mostly use the “Mirror image idea”.

I noticed that with skiers too. I also found it impossible to find single videos of switch air tricks by credible riders or sources that could be used in reference to this thread.

Yeah, it’s a pain in the butt. That’s kinda why I started this thread. It’s the one thing in snowboarding that’s not clearly stated and agreed on.
So are you down with the above idea? It’s basically just your idea, used for everything.

Yeh I mirror theory is good

Andy Aitken - 14 November 2012 08:57 AM

So are you down with the above idea? It’s basically just your idea, used for everything.

Are we creating the rules for snowboarding now? Haha, I believe the way switch tricks are labeled is as if it is a mirror image, yes. However that clarification of the rule was the result of this thread, and not the reason it was started.

The original argument put forward was that leaving the ground normal, spinning 180 and grabbing “mirror method” was a switch method. I don’t believe it is because you are not leaving the ground in a switch stance.

Yeh that’s what I saw switch as; opposite to ur normal. So mirrored haha

Yeh I still am a bit lost on that one.
What would u call the grab if you straight aired regular, and did the method with your back hand and pushed the boar to face back up hill instead of down hill. What would bat grab be called?
Not named?

I always called it a cross bone, but seeing as snowboard trick names started originating from skate, Andy told me that’s not a cross bone in skating. So I don’t know…