The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Switch Trick Names

Mizu Kuma - 11 November 2012 05:55 AM

A question to the instructors, if you come into a box switch, 180 to nose press (actual nose of the board) do you call this a tail press?????

Yes. The same way you’d call a switch back lip if you mimicked it from your regular stance.

Aidy - 12 November 2012 12:24 AM
SamNZ - 11 November 2012 06:04 PM
Mizu Kuma - 11 November 2012 05:55 AM

A question to the instructors, if you come into a box switch, 180 to nose press (actual nose of the board) do you call this a tail press?????

Yes. The same way you’d call a switch back lip if you mimicked it from your regular stance.

I agree with almost everything you’ve said sam but i’m not sure about the above yes.  For me when you do a switch 180 onto a box and then land in a nosepress, it’s a 180 to nose press.  The 180 and the nose press are seperate.  This is a slightly complicated example but mizu and andy what about when you do a simpler trick like below,

I don’t ever remember doing a switch nosepress and one of my mates saying, that switch 5-0 was whack, no they’s say aidy, that switch nose press looked whack…..and they’d be right!

@SamNZ: Not implyin anythin, just wanted to show that some people do take their fish everywhere.

After thinking about it, I think I agree with Sam that whichever part of the board that’s in front/downhill is the nose (even if it is a swallow tail).

OK hold up, be honest…....You would grab a fish tail and call it a nose grab.

The direction you are travelling magically transforms a fish tail into a nose.

I can see the main discussion from both sides has it’s points. But I will never agree with a fish tail becoming a nose LOL

That’s because a fish tail wasn’t created to ride switch. Is that end of the board pointing forwards? Is it not now the nose of the board?

Okay, I will concede in regards to jibbing. I will not in regards to air tricks.

Note the title: Switch 180 nosepress. He’s pressing on the trailing end of his board.

This ^ is what I was thinking when said switch 180 to nosepress. But from the way I read what you guys said, I took it as you meant the uphill tip.

The way I see it with presses for example, doesnt matter which way you approach, if your pressing on your downhill tip its either a nosepress or switch nosepress.
Same for tail press regardless of your spin in or aproach stance. If you are pressing your up hill tip its either a tail or switch tail press (depending on your stance ON the rail)

@Andy: I see your point Andy. If just strictly discussing board of course the swallow tail will always be the tail but since we’re talking about tricks I think we have to generalize all boards.

And where’s Jeremy in this discussion haha

Maybe Jeremy’s got his nose between his tail?????

Simon and I are Whistler homies from way back wink  So naturally he’s on my side here LOL

This also answers Mizu’s question from before.
He approaches the rail switch, does a 180 so he lands on the rail going forward in his normal stance, and does a nose press on the actual nose of the board. And then 180s out. That makes sense to me.

So I’m not trying to be a jerk here, just asking a question.
If you concede that it’s true of jibbing, why not Air Tricks?

Shouldn’t everything be uniform, so it makes sense?

How bout this? He does a FS 180 to switch nose press (which is actually his tail?)

Mizu Kuma - 12 November 2012 06:16 AM

Maybe Jeremy’s got his nose between his tail?????

I’m here. Great thread you’ve got going on. I have some reading to do…

K2_SnatchCrewSader - 12 November 2012 05:22 AM

The way I see it with presses for example, doesnt matter which way you approach, if your pressing on your downhill tip its either a nosepress or switch nosepress.
Same for tail press regardless of your spin in or aproach stance. If you are pressing your up hill tip its either a tail or switch tail press (depending on your stance ON the rail)

This I agree with. I like to ride switch and do a press on my downhill tip (probably my favourite press). I have always referred to this as a switch nosepress. I haven’t read the back pages yet, but is this the general consensus? Or are you guys saying this should be called a switch tailpress, as I am riding switch and technically pressing on my tail?

skip11 - 14 November 2012 03:28 AM

How bout this? He does a FS 180 to switch nose press (which is actually his tail?)

Yeh, i’d still say it is a switch nose press, becaue he is pressing his downhill tip in switch stance

So, I just called Simon Chamberlain…. He says “Who the F@#$ is Marc Swoboda”  smirk

If you were to go with that Marc guy names it, here is my problem with it:

He 180’d into it. So for that to be the nose, you are saying, the nose is the part of the board that is furthest downhill when you land on the rail.
So if you are going with that, then you have to be saying that rails and aerials are different again (which is mega annoying, also the thread is about grabs)

OR

The same applies to Air tricks. And in saying that, lets use one of my fav tricks for example:
When I do a Frontside 360 and grab the nose, I call it - A Front 3 Nose Grab (Short, simple & people know what I mean)
But if the grab counts from the direction you are travelling at the time when your hand makes contact (like when you make contact with a rail) then you would call my - Front 360 Nose Grab a:

Frontside 180, Switch Tail Grab Backside 180 (Because the grab happens behind me not in front).
And apart from being extremely long and annoying to say, it’s just not correct. I know that much for sure.