The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Switch Trick Names

haha. That second bit I had to read 3 times to not be confused.

I’d still call a Front 3 Nose not the later. Cos the grab is the nose of the stance you took off.

So I guess Im saying that rails and airs are differnt.

My reason being, if any trick involved a nosepress as a part of it the they rider is leaning down hill/pressing the direction they are moving.
For me a nose press and tail press are very different. As one involves pressing in the direction of travel, and the other leaning away. Both requiring differnt skills.

Am I making sense of my opinion?

Im not saying by anymeans your wrong. Thats just how I see it. If someone says tail press, switch or reg, spin into or out of, I see tail press as leaning back lifting the leading tip.

Would you call Simon’s above trick as its labled or would you call it a switch tail press? and the Marc clip, a Front 1 tailpress?

I see a front 180 tail press as a non existant trick. Unless it was some street feature where you go off a jump, front 180 then land on a feature which sends you back the direction you traveled and tail pressed it. Kind of a redirect

So then tell me, if I ride up to a rail switch, and then pop on, 50-press on the trailing foot - by your terms I am doing a switch nose press, no? Does that seem right?

K2_SnatchCrewSader - 14 November 2012 05:27 AM

My reason being, if any trick involved a nosepress as a part of it the they rider is leaning down hill/pressing the direction they are moving.

This makes sense, but still only answers the question for pressing. Although I don’t think anyone has a dispute that riding in switch, with your back to the rail and sliding down facing forwards is still a switch backboard. However, what if I did a “switch backlip” Oh no, is that my tail or nose? Now what is it called?

Hence why, your nose is the front end of the board, that leaves the ground first.

is that at me sam? (Edit, just saw your edit)

if so, ive totally messed up in explaining my view haha teacherboy

If you rode up switch and 50pressed with trailing foot I’d call it a SWITCH TAIL.

Im basically saying that if your pressing your trailing leg its a TAIL PRESS, if your pressing the leading leg, its nose press. Doesnt matter if you 180d in or switch 180d in or just ollied on or switch ollied on

SamNZ - 14 November 2012 05:31 AM
K2_SnatchCrewSader - 14 November 2012 05:27 AM

This makes sense, but still only answers the question for pressing. Although I don’t think anyone has a dispute that riding in switch, with your back to the rail and sliding down facing forwards is still a switch backboard. However, what if I did a “switch backlip” Oh no, is that my tail or nose? Now what is it called?
Hence why, your nose is the front end of the board, that leaves the ground first.

Yeh in the case of a lip the nose is the leading tip of when you take off. Same way I’d call it a nose blunt if you did a “back lip” and were sliding the rail between the tip and the leading foot of the take off (instead of between feet in case of lipslide).
haha hope this doesnt bring even more confusion into it.

Do you guys count blunts and nose/tail slides in snowboard trick terms, or just keep it to boards and lips?

I completely understand what you are saying K2.

To answer your question to me, I am saying (IMO) Simon Chamberlain is right and Marc is wrong. You are saying they are both right.
I see the logic behind what you’re saying and it makes sense.

The reason I am against what Marc is saying is (like I said earlier) that means there are 2 sets of rules. One for rails and one for air tricks. And that sucks.

Your way does make nose and tail presses easier to call, but it makes everything else harder to call and understand.

It would be rad if we just had one rule for all tricks. Which is why I started this thread, because my friends are constantly trying to describe the same trick in different terms.

I think its just makes it a pain that the trick nose press and tail press are named after bits of the board that can change on dependent on approach/take off.

for example (and this is me just being stupid haha) :
- if a pressing the leading tip/lifting the trailing tip was called a DOGSHIT
&
-if a pressing the trailing tip/lifting the leading tip was called a CATPISS

it wouldnt matter which way you spun or took off it would eliminate all confusion LOL you know which direction they are pressing their pisses or shits haha

Even in that video Marc says “do it like you are doing a blunt and land one your TAIL and then tweak it a bit so it’s a nose press”

....Land on your tail and do a nose press…. Doesn’t this bug anyone except me and Mizu???  hmmm

hahaha. I didnt even listen to him say that. I definately know what he means by saying that in my head it makes sense, but it is pretty much a TOTAL CONTRADICTION by saying you are landing on a TAIL to press the NOSE.

Would be like saying you push your brake pedal in your car to accelerate

I supose the problem is that one of the things he is refering to an action/technique(nosepress) and the other is part/segment of equipment(tail).
Typical english language. One word having more than one meaning depending on the context in which used

K2_SnatchCrewSader - 14 November 2012 05:53 AM

hahaha. I didnt even listen to him say that. I definately know what he means by saying that in my head it makes sense, but it is pretty much a TOTAL CONTRADICTION by saying you are landing on a TAIL to press the NOSE.

Not sure why, It’s like saying do a switch front one to practice your spin rotation for a back one. He’s just relating it to a similar feeling - most people have probably done a tail press before they ever did a switch nose, so if you tell them that’s what they’re feeling for, they know a bit easier.

It’s a trick tip - he’s breaking it down to be easier, he doesn’t give a rats what terms you want to hear it in.

Andy Aitken - 14 November 2012 05:50 AM

Even in that video Marc says “do it like you are doing a blunt and land one your TAIL and then tweak it a bit so it’s a nose press”

....Land on your tail and do a nose press…. Doesn’t this bug anyone except me and Mizu???  hmmm

So my theory/terms would work good here LOL

“do it like you are doing a blunt and land on your TAIL then tweak it a bit so its a DOGSHIT” that way it makes total sense! HAHAHA

Let me just put my idea out there one more time and see what you think.

NOTHING CHANGES
The tail is the tail, the nose is the nose. A tail press is done on the tail and the nose press on the nose.
A grab is grabbed on the SAME part of the board with the SAME hand.
DIRECTION CHANGES NOTHING.
NO RULES CHANGE.

Every trick is performed the same regardless of what direction you are travelling.

Doesn’t that sounds easier? Doesn’t that make sense?

SamNZ - 14 November 2012 05:58 AM
K2_SnatchCrewSader - 14 November 2012 05:53 AM

Not sure why, It’s like saying do a switch front one to practice your spin rotation for a back one. He’s just relating it to a similar feeling - most people have probably done a tail press before they ever did a switch nose, so if you tell them that’s what they’re feeling for, they know a bit easier.

It’s a trick tip - he’s breaking it down to be easier, he doesn’t give a rats what terms you want to hear it in.

Oh, I totally agree with you there. It makes total sense when I read that and knew exactly what he was explaining.
I guess it just pisses Andy/Mizu off having those terms together more than me and you and Marc Swjdbdodoe

Andy Aitken - 14 November 2012 05:59 AM

NOTHING CHANGES
The tail is the tail, the nose is the nose. A tail press is done on the tail and the nose press on the nose.
NO RULES CHANGE.

Every trick is performed the same regardless of what direction you are travelling.

No. See:

SamNZ - 14 November 2012 05:31 AM

So then tell me, if I ride up to a rail switch, and then pop on, 50-press on the trailing foot - by your terms I am doing a switch nose press, no? Does that seem right?

Andy Aitken - 14 November 2012 05:59 AM

NOTHING CHANGES
NO RULES CHANGE.

Yeh, that would be, I just dont feel ike it would work. Prob me just being stubborn in my way of thinking. I reckon either way it was there will always be discrepancies that dont fit properly with a trick 100%

So going by the rules you posted here^

If I rode into a jump or rail switch, should be nose be classified as the bit that is leading down hill as I ride, or you go buy your normal stance’s nose so in switch my nose is uphill?